Radio Usage Or Not

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dean Abramson

Radio Usage Or Not

Post by Dean Abramson »

Neil, perhaps rightfully so, scolded me for not monitoring my radio. He made these excellent points:
I monitor 16, 9 and 13. I (mostly) don't mind the chatter and quite often there's meaningful traffic. Some examples:

For LNG tankers in particular, the Coast Guard establishes a moving safety zone around the tanker. Entering the zone subjects you to all sorts of really bad outcomes.

Weather alerts, especially severe thunderstorms and tornados.

Requests for assistance. (Sometimes someone really needs your help and you're the closest vessel.)

Securite alerts, especially reports of hazards to navigation.

Invites from other Cape Dory owners for beer or single malt.
I get it. But we go out there for the peace and quiet. And regardless of the rules, there is a lot of dumb traffic out there. I have heard long discussions about recipes on Channel 9!

If it is foggy, or if I am in areas with commercial traffic, I listen.

But of the points above, the main one that tugs at my conscience is about being able to hear vessels in distress. My excuse has kinda been: most people listen, so someone will hear. I know this is lame, but I am being honest here.

But this begs the question: do most of you monitor even while at anchor or a mooring? You still could be the closest boat to a vessel in distress.

I will try to do better. Clearly, if I put out a mayday, I certainly hope that the other guy will hear me.

But I am curious:
Do most of you monitor?
Do you do it at anchor?

This is an internal battle of mine, because I really like not hearing the radio. That's just me. I am not recommending this for others.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Klem

Post by Klem »

I definitely understand your concern over the subject. When I worked commercially, we always monitored 16 except if the whole crew was asleep at anchor then it was off. Sometimes we would get frustrated with the amount of silly traffic on 16 and turn the radio off for an hour or so during the day. We found that midcoast Maine and north wasn't too bad traffic wise but when we would go south, we shut the radio off a lot. When I am out on my own in good visibility and a non high traffic area, the radio is off. If there is traffic or poor visibility, the radio is on. At anchor, I keep it off.

One observation that I have made is that if I am the closest boat to someone in distress, I can usually visually see the distress with a good lookout before I hear the call on the radio. When a distress situation starts, the boats usually start acting weird and a quick look with binoculars tells you that something is up (sometimes it is simply that they have caught a fish). This obviously isn't always true but it argues for keeping a good lookout.

Regarding what channels to monitor, even when I worked commercially we rarely monitored anything more than 16. This is a little place specific but most commercial vessels trying to arrange passing hail on 16 then switch to 13. This is less true in very high traffic areas like NY harbor and when only large commercial vessels are talking. Unless you are in a place that uses 9 for hailing, I don't think that it is worth it.

If you let your conscience rule, monitoring 16 full time is probably the "right" thing to do but you are not alone in wanting some peace and quiet.
Stan W.

Since when is this optional?

Post by Stan W. »

My understanding is that if you have a VHF radio you are REQUIRED to monitor channel 16.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Stan is correct:

Radio Watchkeeping Regulations:

In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.
Source: FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310, NTIA Manual 8.2.29.6.c(2)(e), ITU RR 31.17, 33.18, AP13 §25.2

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/watch.htm

Title 47: Telecommunication
PART 80—STATIONS IN THE MARITIME SERVICES
Subpart G—Safety Watch Requirements and Procedures
Ship Station Safety Watches

§ 80.310 Watch required by voluntary vessels.
Voluntary vessels not equipped with DSC must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz and on 156.800 MHz (Channel 16) whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate. Noncommercial vessels, such as recreational boats, may alternatively maintain a watch on 156.450 MHz (Channel 9) in lieu of VHF Channel 16 for call and reply purposes. Voluntary vessels equipped with VHF-DSC equipment must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz and on either 156.525 MHz (Channel 70) or VHF Channel 16 aurally whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate. Voluntary vessels equipped with MF-HF DSC equipment must have the radio turned on and set to an appropriate DSC distress calling channel or one of the radiotelephone distress channels whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate. Voluntary vessels equipped with Inmarsat A, B, C, M or Fleet F77 systems must have the unit turned on and set to receive calls whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate.

[73 FR 4485, Jan. 25, 2008]
Last edited by bottomscraper on Apr 16th, '10, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Dean Abramson

Aw jeez

Post by Dean Abramson »

Sure, Neil scolded me once.

But Rich and Melissa NAG ME ABOUT THIS CONSTANTLY!!!
;-)

Maybe they are trying to reach me...
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
mahalocd36

Re: Aw jeez

Post by mahalocd36 »

Dean Abramson wrote:Sure, Neil scolded me once.

But Rich and Melissa NAG ME ABOUT THIS CONSTANTLY!!!
;-)

Maybe they are trying to reach me...
It's because we care. To me, besides being required ;-) it's a safety thing. We monitor 16. In Maine, there is really hardly any traffic on it. Nothing like Buzzard's bay, where, we admit being very tempted to turn it off because of so much garbage traffic on it. But in Maine it's pretty much all relevant - Securite's given by ferries and tankers; boats hailing one another (then switching to another channel); weather alerts; etc.

Especially in Fog or at night, it's extremely useful and frankly I find really annoying all the boats out there in pea soup fog that are not broadcasting their position like they are supposed to.

It's also useful in clear daytime when trying to ascertain what another vessel is doing - you can call them and discuss a passing/crossing strategy. This only works if both vessels have their radio on .... see how that works ? ;-)

Also, I'm a strong believer in both John Vigor's black box theory and Paying it Forward. To me, if you "hope someone is listening" when you need help, you should listen for someone needing assistance.

We turn it off once we are settled at anchor or on a mooring.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Dean Abramson

What did I tell you

Post by Dean Abramson »

These people are relentless.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

16, 9 and (sometimes) 13

Post by Joe Myerson »

Dean,

Thanks for starting this thread. Please excuse the long disquisition on my personal use of the VHF radio:

I try to keep a radio watch on channel 16, with occasional switches to 9 and 13.

I've only used my VHF for vessel-to-vessel communication on rare occasions: When Creme Brulee and Liquidity were sailing together to the rendezvous in Dutch Harbor, or when we were heading out of Narragansett Bay to Cuttyhunk in heavy fog, and I sent out "securite" notices whenever I changed course or passed a significant waypoint.

Still, I consider maintaining a radio watch part of good seamanship, and it's also allowed me to eavesdrop on some interesting little dramas. Sometimes, especially on high-summer weekends when the fish are running, the chatter gets annoying and I do turn down the volume (or even turn it off--for shame!).

I've only called the Coast Guard once--when I saw a boat fire off flares. And I've only been contacted by another boater once--when it appeared to them that I was headed for a rock. In both cases, the communication was unnecessary--but greatly appreciated.

I grew up sailing without the benefit of any onboard electronic communications, but the more I listen to my VHF the more I appreciate having it.

Even though I lack a sophisticated chartplotter, my little Garmin GPSMap 76 is tied into my radio's DSC, so I could send an automated distress signal on Channel 70, and I could use it to call other boats--if I had anybody else's MMSI number.

--Joe

P.S. If I had the bucks, I'd replace my basic VHF with one of the newer units that receive AIS signals--and probably have strong enough speakers to obviate my need to install a remote speaker.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dean Abramson

Uncle!!

Post by Dean Abramson »

Seriously, this season, I am going to make a point to listen. But on clear days with lots of other pleasure boats near, and not near commercial traffic, I make no promises.

But really, I will start with just monitoring 16. I think that is all I care about, as to monitoring.

Old dogs can learn new tricks.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

The importance of RADIO ON!

Post by Zeida »

Just happened to me: Just 3 weeks ago I hauled Bandolera out for her routine bottom maintenance. After 7 days at the boatyard, finally we were ready to go again. The crane dropped us back in the water and we started down the river. To get to or from this particular boatyard we need to go under eleven (11) bridges. The river is not too wide and there is barely enough room for two boats going east or west at the same time, and there is a lot of commercial traffic, so it is critical to be on the radio at all times. We must hail the bridgetenders to request the openings and to know what is coming against us.

Well, at about 500 yards from the boatyard, we got a visual on the first bridge, so I asked Kathie to turn on the radio and call them. I have an Icom unit at the nav station, with two portable remote speakers which we keep at the cockpit by the companionway, plus a handheld Icom as a backup. After 30 seconds of trying, Kathie's panic voice from the nav station... "the radio is on but nothing is happening..." "Well, then Hurry up and get the handheld.." I had been charging the battery just the day before in preparation for this downriver trip back to our marina. More panic. "The handheld is not coming on at all..."!!! "Well, darn it!!" By now we are almost in front of the bridge. "Get the air horn, quick!" We blasted the air horn a bunch of times and both of us starting waving our arms and screaming, hoping that the bridgetender would look our way... she obviously did, and after a couple of times us turning circles, the bridge opened and we went through.

Now I thought, the second bridge is coming in less than 5 minutes... "keep trying to get that radio to come on..." but nothing happened.
Neither our big Icom or handheld unit would work! With our stomachs in knots, we continued to the second bridge and repeated our panic calls, the bridgetender saw us, opened up and we went through. "Oh my God, this is going to be some trip like this..." with nine more bridges to go.

As we approached the third bridge we notice that behind us is a bluehulled gigantic motor yacht -a million $$ or more- with an exterior hailer and he is hailing the bridgetender, asking for the opening, and then they hailed us! They had seen our problem and guessed right, so they were contacting the bridges by their radio to alert them about both of us, which made us feel now very protected.

Somehow after the fourth bridge, our own nav station radio came back alive... we still don't know why, but from then on, we too were able to talk. We thanked the motoryacht for their assistance and for the rest of the trip, our radio behaved. My two Icom units are over seven years old, and I think the battery of the handheld is no longer keeping a proper charge. I am calling Defender to order a brand new Icom handheld unit -or maybe a Standard Horizon- plus a new battery for the older handheld, if they still make it.

What did I learn from this? At least have three working radios on board at all times. this is the one item we can not be without, for as boating things go, just when you need it the most, it will not work!
I monitor Ch.16 at all times, both at the marina, at my slip and under way. Here in So. Fla. the people that are talking garbage on the radio do so on Ch.68 or other channels. If the ÇoastGuard or marine patrol hears you like that on Ch.16 they will immediately ask you to stop or go to a diff. channel. If we want to talk to other boats we may be sailing with, we hail them on 16 and then we go to the talking channels. We have indeed heard several maydays and it is always unnerving. We have never been in a position to assist, but have heard the other boaters running to help. As much as we consider boating a relaxing and peaceloving activity, we must be alert because it can also turn deadly at any given notice, and somebody, maybe even us, may need help. And only the radio will let everyone know.
:)
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Dean Abramson

Roger that

Post by Dean Abramson »

Thanks for that post. Message received.
Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

Zeida, I had to chuckle at your comment about how the crane "dropped" your boat in the water. I learned a hard lesson a few years ago when I was the new assistant dockmaster at Cape Marina in Cape Canaveral and called the dock crew on the radio to ask them to drop a customer's boat in the water. They descended on me and informed me, in no uncertain terms, that we never, ever say "drop," especially on the radio. We say "launch" or "put" or anything but "drop" because that's exactly what they do NOT want to do and they didn't want to spark panic among any customers who might have overheard and, being superstitious boaters, they didn't want it to become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Point taken! :)

And to everyone, I have to weigh in on this thread subject, too. As you know, I am a dispatcher for the harbor pilots in Charleston. I can't tell you how many times my pilots try to hail a pleasure boat in the shipping channel to warn them of a ship coming from behind but who obviously don't have their radios on and don't respond. It can be very dangerous to not monitor Channel 16. I agree with the person who posted that it is a requirement to do so while underway. And, everyone with any seamanship experience and common courtesy knows to take conversations to another channel after hailing on 16. I monitor three channels while at work so I completely understand about the annoyance factor but I still never, ever go out in my own boat without having 16 on. As an aside, when we lived on our sailboat in Cape Canaveral, we kept 16 on all the time just for entertainment! People there use 16 for everything, CG warnings to the contrary notwithstanding, and with the ICW nearby and all the fishing traffic offshore, the conversations got quite interesting at times. :wink:
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Several comments on prior postings and my practice in general...

I routinely scan 16, 9, 13 and usually 22, also (so I don't have to change channels when the CG comes on). If radio traffic is heavy on channel 9, it can get annoying. Sometimes it's mostly about "Where are the fish?," "Anyone know when high tide is?," "Are the Pats winning?," and the like, but it usually doesn't last long.

At anchor, I keep the radio on. There's not much traffic at night and if there is, it's often meaningful. Weather alerts, for example.

I've only called the CG a couple of times, to report objects (usually pilings or RR ties) in the water. OTOH, I've heard similar reports hundreds of times, to my occasional benefit.

Lastly, there's significant entertainment value from keeping a good radio watch. I especially like the boats that call for a tow because they're out of gas first thing Saturday morning.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I usually scan all channels. There is often so little traffic, its nice to know you are not the only one out on the water.

Also kind of miss listening to the marine operator traffic at anchor before the days of cell phone proliferation. It was the evening entertainment before the days of portable DVD players.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Dean Abramson

a little different tack

Post by Dean Abramson »

Marvo (Dean's wife) chiming in here:

I am shy about all forms of electronic voice communication. The VHF radio particularly intimidates me. Dean is always trying to get me to practice with it. I know it is a safety issue. I know I need more practice, but it is the fact that so many others are listening in that is a BIG turn-off.

What I really hate is when, here in Maine, we have been communicating - on a talking channel - with another boat or announcing our position, and some (no doubt young and immature) snarky lobstermen listening in have engaged in mocking us and making fun of what they apparently consider to be elite, nerdy, probably elderly pleasure boaters.

I know I shouldn't care what they think, but I admit that I do cringe when they broadcast it to the entire coast of Maine.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine