changing oil on the ysm-8

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marv brinn

changing oil on the ysm-8

Post by marv brinn »

Hey here is some great news on changing your engine and trans oil. they are the same and I have used a squeeze bottle which i fill up with the appropriate amount. It fits nicely into the engine filler and is easy to use on the trans due to its small space..it is very easy to overfill the trans takes .7liters!!!
now on to changing the fuel filters, any hint on how to bleed the air while cranking?
none
J D

bleeding the fuel line

Post by J D »

Marv, I installed a priming bulb in my fuel line between the tank and first filter. On mine I open the bleed valve in the filter and pump the primer by hand until only fuel runs and close it. It's so on and so forth until all the bleed points are completed to the injector. When I actually crank the engine it starts and runs. I can not imagine doing it without the priming bulb.
tartansailor

Priming a diesel engine

Post by tartansailor »

I second what JD recommended.
Did the same on my YSM8 before selling it.
Dick
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Mine has an electric fuel pump - I just turn on the ignition and open the bleed screws, starting at the filter and working toward the injector.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
marv brinn

bleed

Post by marv brinn »

just one question..How do you you crank the engine while you are 4 feet away from the control panel????
none
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

funnel

Post by moctrams »

I bought this Ducati funnel to change the oil for Gabbiano.

Code: Select all

[img]http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/moctrams/Sailing/?action=view&current=Ducatifunnel.jpg[/img]

The web site is:
http://www.ducati-motorcycle-parts.com/Sideways-Motorcycle-Funnel-9-P-Funnel.aspx
Ray Garcia

Use the fuel pump

Post by Ray Garcia »

On my YSM8 I found the easiest way to bleed the fuel line(s) was manually depressing the fuel pump arm on the top of the pump. Loosen the bleed screw(s) as needed and gently push the pump lever. No need to pump away, a few pushes will pressurize the system. Keep a rag handy to catch the fuel; when the bubbles (foaming) stop your done. I usually loosen the furthest bleed screw from the pump. That would be the fuel line closest to the injector and start there. It may take a little time, depends on how much air you have in there. Make sure you firmly tighten the bleed screw when done.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Full open throttle when bleeding....

Post by Mike Raehl »

When using the fuel pump lever to bleed the lines, don't forget to have the throttle in the full open position. I nearly wore out my index finger pumping the lever before I realized the throttle was closed. Live and learn, sometimes slowly.
Mike Raehl