Found a Good Deal on a CD 27 (maybe)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

NewSailor

Found a Good Deal on a CD 27 (maybe)

Post by NewSailor »

I believe I have stumbled across a very good deal on a CD 27. Price is $7k, maybe less. The boat is currently sailed, has the original diesel in working order, good sails, needs a lot of interior work (dingy but not cut up), and general sprucing up. I see 27s selling for twice this price. I currently sail a CD25 which I have had for 3 years now. The 25 is my first sailboat, but seems a little small. My question is "Is this a really great deal which I should jump on, and how fast do you think I can sell the 25?" The 25 is in great shape with a 3 year old Mercury outbaord autotiller etc etc, I would sell her for what I paid - $8k. I sail in the Chesapeake Bay. Also, for $7k should I bother with a survey?
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Found a Good Deal on a CD 27 (maybe)

Post by Duncan »

NewSailor wrote:I believe I have stumbled across a very good deal on a CD 27. Price is $7k, maybe less. The boat is currently sailed, has the original diesel in working order, good sails, needs a lot of interior work (dingy but not cut up), and general sprucing up. I see 27s selling for twice this price.
As you know, "boat economics" can be perverse - sometimes, the lower the price, the worse the 'deal'. If the engine and sails are good, though, that's a good start. Next, of course, you want to see how structurally sound the boat is, and then start figuring out how much the new rigging, paint, electrical, etc., etc. are likely to run you?
I currently sail a CD25 which I have had for 3 years now. The 25 is my first sailboat, but seems a little small. My question is "Is this a really great deal which I should jump on, and how fast do you think I can sell the 25?" The 25 is in great shape with a 3 year old Mercury outbaord autotiller etc etc, I would sell her for what I paid - $8k. I sail in the Chesapeake Bay.
I think that the CD25 is usually purchased as an entry-level boat (as you did), and is therefore pretty price-sensitive. From casual observation, I would suggest that $5,000-$6500 might be a more likely price range these days, if you want to sell it quickly.
Also, for $7k should I bother with a survey?
Always. I had a lousy survey when I bought my CD27, but even so, it paid for itself by provoking the seller to replace some expensive gear. A good survey is worth it every time.

I think you'd find the 27 a nice step up from the 25, but it might be a good idea to sell the 25 first, then go looking. There are always 'deals' to be had, but the worst one is buying a new boat, and then bailing out of your old one at a desperation price, when you've owned two boats for a year or two.
barfwinkle

Sage Advice

Post by barfwinkle »

but it might be a good idea to sell the 25 first, then go looking. There are always 'deals' to be had, but the worst one is buying a new boat, and then bailing out of your old one at a desperation price, when you've owned two boats for a year or two.
Even if the boat is paid for you have to maintain her, so unless you can afford to maintain two boats with slip/mooring cost or cost of winter storage (unless you can take one of the home) will add up.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Surveys are for safety, too

Post by Neil Gordon »

Duncan wrote: A good survey is worth it every time.
Not only because it's a guide to what needs fixing and what the cost might be.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

much depends on how you feel about doing the work yourself. I've learned to enjoy working on the boat as much as sailing it so for a guy like me, if the lines are beautiful and you can get it for a song, it's a good deal.

If however, you view the work as a necessary evil, then as all the little projects pile up so will either the frustration or the costs (maybe both).
Mark Abramski
Chuck
Galveston Bay, TX

CD27

Post by Chuck »

Hey NewSailor,
Having had a 25, the comfort level of a 27 will be wonderful. The 27 is said to be the best sailing Cape Dory. That's a quote from Will Keene, owner Edson Intl. who was with Cape Dory way back when. 7k is a terrific price. Check
the compress under the mast.
Cheers,
Chuck
NewSailor

thanks for the response everyone.

Post by NewSailor »

I think I'm going to pass on this 27 and wait a year or so. If anyone would like to pursue this let me know and I can pass on contact info.
Bob Condon

Would you consider a 1979 CD28 Intrepid?

Post by Bob Condon »

I am selling Really Muggy, in good shape, new main sail for $10K
and it includes new Doyle sail plus 3 other sails. The price is firm because the other Cape Dorys this size are above $13K so please don't look for a lower price.

I am downsizing to a Compaq 19 because we bought a camp in Maine and have lost my crew to married life and college.

Located in Boston Area and will include a mooring in Salem Harbor (Mass) on the Marblehead side. Mooring maintenance costs are around 165 per year and every other year around 300 when changing top chains.

The shallow draft of the Compaq works at the lake.

I have my 2002 survey by Peter Hunt which I will be glad to make a copy for you.

Peter's comments were that this boat has had a quiet life, and never run aground because there is no surface cracking by the keel
bolts in the bilge.

If interested, send me your email to bcondon11@yahoo.com and I will send the listing sheet and Peter's survey.

I hate to part with her because the boat has given me much pleasure but it is time.

Bob
Bob Condon
NewSailor

CD25, 27, 28 and 30 sailing characteristics

Post by NewSailor »

Would any of you folks who have owned or sailed a variety of CDs like to comment on the sailing characteristics of various CDs up to 30 feet. I have decided to move up from my 25 to something larger in the next year or 2. I have owned the 25 for three years and am pretty new to sailing. I liked the 27 I looked at so much I figured a 30 would be even better. The boat will be kept in the Chesapeake Bay and singlehanded quite often. Cruises for a week to a month are definitely in the picture. Is the 30 to large?
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I started my sailing career with a 1964 Sunfish. Over the years I have had a Rhodes 19, Bristol 22, CD30 and now a CD31, with powerboats mixed in the middle. I have singlehanded all of them. As you go up in displacement you will find that heavy weather handling becomes easier, while turning response gets slightly slower. With the 30 or 31 (or obviously anything larger) you have to plan ahead if you are singlehanding, as sail handling or getting into and out of a slip is harder. Its still quite do-able, you just have to plan ahead.

In terms of cruising, we found our 30 to be great. The 31 adds some extra room and extra storage space. Whether you have a 27 or something larger, its always a matter of how many amenities you feel you need and whether you can fit everything in. Space versus dollars. Its all fun, regardless of size, as long as its what you want to do and you use the boat.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: CD25, 27, 28 and 30 sailing characteristics

Post by Duncan »

NewSailor wrote:Would any of you folks who have owned or sailed a variety of CDs like to comment on the sailing characteristics of various CDs up to 30 feet... I liked the 27 I looked at so much I figured a 30 would be even better. The boat will be kept in the Chesapeake Bay and singlehanded quite often. Cruises for a week to a month are definitely in the picture. Is the 30 to large?
Well, I've sailed a CD10, a 27, and a 36, so that's a wide span that probably won't help you too much :)

In terms of sailing characteristics, I would take a hard look at the 27 over the 28 and the 30. There's lots of testimony on this, so I won't bore you with how sweet she is to sail, just because I own one. I will say that I've had her through one "this may be the day that I die" storm, and my main concern was hanging on, not how the boat would handle the weather.

By way of accommodations, the 28 and the 30 are longer and wider, so more breathing room. If you add that their galley and head facilities are more generous, and that they are often more extensively equipped, it's easy to see how those areas might tip the scales. On the other hand, these boats still feature what a friend of mine calls "those spacious Alberg interiors", so don't plan on too many guests for too long.

I looked at all three sizes (in fact the one I bought was advertised as a Cape Dory 29 (which doesn't exist)). I think the adage that "The 27 is the biggest of the small Cape Dorys, and the 28 is the smallest of the big ones" seems accurate.
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Re: CD25, 27, 28 and 30 sailing characteristics

Post by Scott MacCready »

NewSailor wrote:Would any of you folks who have owned or sailed a variety of CDs like to comment on the sailing characteristics of various CDs up to 30 feet. I have decided to move up from my 25 to something larger in the next year or 2. I have owned the 25 for three years and am pretty new to sailing. I liked the 27 I looked at so much I figured a 30 would be even better. The boat will be kept in the Chesapeake Bay and singlehanded quite often. Cruises for a week to a month are definitely in the picture. Is the 30 to large?
My first sailboat was a CD25. I moved up to a CD26 for the standing headroom, then moved to a CD30 Ketch as a live-aboard. Of the 3, the CD25 was the one I enjoyed the sailing characteristics of the most. Compared to the CD26, it was more lively/responsive. I never really felt the rush I did with the 26 as I did with the 25. There's only a foot of LOD difference but the 26 is a much heavier boat. As for the CD30 Ketch, it was totally different beast from the other two. Again, a much heavier boat, slower to respond but was more fun to sail than the CD26. I especially enjoyed the range of sail options, whether just jib and jigger or genoa,main,mizzen, and mizzen staysail. On all of my boats, I single-handed nearly 100% of the time. None of them were ever too big to handle as long as you get to know your boat and plan ahead.
As a side note, I'm currently in year two of building a 34' cutter very similar in design to Channel Cutter. But for fun in the meantime I've picked another CD25 to keep me on the water.
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

We purposely chose the CD25. We've had big boats before, our last being a 41' Islander Freeport that we lived on for five years. She was a big, heavy, cruiser/liveaboard that was lots of fun to sail because of her stability, hull design and sail plan. After moving ashore two years ago, we wanted a classic, full-keel, well-built daysailer and occasional overnighter, relatively easy to maintain (which is why no diesel engine), and fun to sail. The CD25 fits all our criteria. I take good-natured :wink: exception to the comment that CD25s are "entry-level" boats. We are obviously not "entry-level" and think she is the best boat for us at this time. We will most likely get a bigger boat sometime in the future (can't help it - it's in our blood or something) but for now this is just what we need.

As you know, there is no "perfect boat." "Every boat is a compromise" is our mantra when boat-shopping. And as needs and circumstances change, the right boat changes. Good luck in your search for the perfect boat. :D
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Annie Ward wrote: I take good-natured :wink: exception to the comment that CD25s are "entry-level" boats. We are obviously not "entry-level" ... but for now this is just what we need.
Sorry, 'spose I could have said "or re-entry-level"?

I hear that Carl Alberg used to sail a Pearson Commander 26', and that was long after he passed the 'entry-level', too. :)