Does your CD have G4 or double-contact bayonet....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Light socket bases?

Poll ended at Apr 12th, '10, 13:34

1. double-contact bayonet bases with parallel locks
79%
2. double-contact bayonet bases with offset locks
10%
3. G4 (accomodates bulb with two protruding pins from the base)
10%
4. other
No votes

Total votes: 29

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Does your CD have G4 or double-contact bayonet....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I believe that most of the light fixtures in Cape Dory models have double-contact bayonet bases with parallel locks. And I think some may have G4 bases. Maybe some boats have other types?

I need as many of you as possible to chime in and let me know what type of bases your light fixtures have. Just click on the links below to see the different bulbs. Concentrate on the bases; the bulb itself (incandescent, LED, halogen, etc.) doesn't matter.
Just click on the appropriate item in the "poll" above. Don't forget to click on the "Submit Vote" button to complete your selection.

Thanks,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 16th, '10, 17:26, edited 6 times in total.
jerryaxler

light bulb

Post by jerryaxler »

I've converted many ,but not all of the lights to accept G-4's in order to use LED's
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Sorry I'm not filling out the survey but I might skew the results. Then again I believe all surveys are skewed.

All of my original lights were bayonet sockets. I have replaced all of the dome light bulbs with LEDs that have a bayonet plug. All of the original reading lights have been replaced with new fixtures that accept G-4 LED bulbs.

There is no more reading with a head lamp to conserve batteries on Raven, Steve.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

In case you're wondering why.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

In case you're wondering why I'm asking this question.....

Imtra has offered to provide LED replacement bulbs as giveaway items for the rendezvous at Bristol, RI. I need to tell them what kind of bulbs to donate.

I know that our boat uses the double-contact bayonet bulbs with parallel locks, but that doesn't mean every Cape Dory has the same fixtures requiring the same bulbs.

So if you know what kind of base your fixtures have, please complete the "poll" above.

Thanks,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy Monaghan

177 views and only 17 respondents....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

177 views and only 17 respondents....what's up with that!
Jim Evans

Need to check!

Post by Jim Evans »

Cathy,

When do you need responses by? I'll check my boat this weekend; I'm not sure if my locks are offset or parallel. I expect others need time to check their boats, too.
Jim Evans
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Had to check Breezy

Post by Noel Heslop »

Apologises Cathy,

Had to check first.
I guess I am the 23rd voter now, where previously as I was one of the 177 viewers.

"All is well when the tide comes back in again."

My first mate and I have just polished off a wonderful mellow/golden 1998 New Zealand Chardonnay, hence this eloquence of thought. I have spent the day working on my CD25D, with no wind to speak of, at the jetty, slightly warm and sunny, so what more could you ask for. I was having trouble actually remebering what work I did but now taht I remember, my 2nd eldest son did a good job in his wetsuit of scrubbing the hull and removing those gremlins that seem to attach to the anti fouling when you are not looking.

I did the more important job of pottering around, checking this and that, and measuring for a protective cover.

Happy sailing tomorrow.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Cathy Monaghan

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Don't forget to check the bases of your interior cabin dome and reading lights this weekend!
tartansailor

CD-25 Light Socket Bases

Post by tartansailor »

All of the light socket bases on my CD-25 have
single contacts with both lugs in the same plane.

Dick
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

I won't be at the rendezvous, but my dome lights all have double parallels and the reading lights have G4. If you have extra LED donations, you know where to find me... :wink:

Bob L
Cathy Monaghan

...bump...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

...bump...
BubbaThePirate

I looked but didn't vote . . .

Post by BubbaThePirate »

I looked but didn't vote because I'm not sure which bayonet type they are/were. I just tore out all my wiring and the light fixtures; almost all!. I'm rewiring and converting to LEDs along the way. I'm quite sure they were not G4's. I was saving up for a G5 but I might get an iPad now. :o)

I haven't pitched anything but the most corroded. If anyone wants some vintage CD28 1975 light fixtures, I will send for the cost of shipping.

Cheers,
Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Eat When You're Hungry
Work When You're Broke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member #1005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dick Barthel

Item 1 with parallel locks

Post by Dick Barthel »

Cathy, nothing happens when I click on the items above your post so I'm just reporting the old fashion way. Thanks for your efforts for the Bristol event. Dick
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Re: Item 1 with parallel locks

Post by Kilgore »

Dick Barthel wrote:Cathy, nothing happens when I click on the items above your post so I'm just reporting the old fashion way. Thanks for your efforts for the Bristol event. Dick
Me too. Is the poll closed/locked?

Mine have #1 all around (dome and reading).

From their catalog, the 1142 x15's or x19's would appear to work in the reading lights, but the more expensive 360 degree x18Ts look better for domes (or else an adapter and flat G4 disc for the domes).
Cathy Monaghan

You can vote now....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Dick Barthel wrote:Cathy, nothing happens when I click on the items above your post so I'm just reporting the old fashion way. Thanks for your efforts for the Bristol event. Dick
The poll had expired. I reactivated it so you can vote.

Cathy