CD30 alcohol to propane installation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

CD30 alcohol to propane installation

Post by Ocean Girl »

Sorry for another thread about stoves, I have scoured the site and cannot find this info.

I would like to put in a Force 10 2 burner stove w broiler where the hillerange alcohol stove/ oven was.

Has someone with a CD30 done this exact installation? as in a force 10 propane w/broiler in a CD30?

If so -
1) did you need to modify the cut out in any way? it seems unlikely to me but thought I'd make sure.
2) did you need to move the gimbal mount?
3) Could you use the hillerange gimbal mount (female I think, whatever is mounted to the boat :) )with the force 10? (male, I think, whatever is mounted to the stove).

Thanks for any info!
Erika

ps.
I already know where I will mount the tanks :), I love propane :). and already looked into a conversion kit for the alky stove but decided to go with new stove without oven.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

Bump

Post by Ocean Girl »

Bump?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
username

Where are you mounting the tanks?

Post by username »

I have a kerosene to propane conversion on my "to do" list...same boat.
Ocean Girl

Mounting them on the stern

Post by Ocean Girl »

I will either get two 6# verticals (long and skinny) and mount them outside my stern rail, covered in canvas for protection. Or I will get the new fancy schmancy 10# fiberglass tank but mount it between my dorades on the stern. I love the ability to see the level of LPG like you can on the FBG tanks plus the FGB are so much cheaper.
Erika
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
Ben Thomas

Propane tanks & locker

Post by Ben Thomas »

I ended up fabricating my own locker for my two new lightweight see through Fiberglass tanks.
I used Baltic Birch supports/framing and wrapped it in 1/8" B.B. plywood, glassed all the interior and applied two part epoxy type paint to the exterior. I had to make the interior supports with notches for the tanks to slip in and out to keep the overall size to a minimum. The latches I salvaged from my old locker which was mounted on the inside of the stern rail which crowded the helmsman. Over all the new unit comes in about 25lbs. lighter than the old one.
http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/alb ... urce=pw980
Ben
rorik

Post by rorik »

My solution is pretty simple, but there was no room for a pre-made locker and given everything else on my plate, it's all I have time for.
The brackets come from www.suremarine.com. There's a watertight thru deck fitting for the supply hose to the stove just to the left of the port tank.
The tanks are actually a lot less intrusive in person than they are in the picture.

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Ocean Girl

Wow, beautiful

Post by Ocean Girl »

Those are some great ways to mount tanks, very nice. Thanks for the input.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
rorik

Post by rorik »

I forgot to upload this stern view showing the tanks in a slightly better light than the night time picture I posted above.

Russell

Post by Russell »

For external mouting I would not use the new fibreglass tanks, stick with aluminium. I am suspicious of the abiity of the glass tanks to stand up to year round UV.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
chase

tanks

Post by chase »

Hi Rorik, what size tanks are those? In general, how long does a tank last?

Has anyone hooked up a tank like that to their gas grill on the stern?

Chase
rorik

Post by rorik »

Tanks and brackets came from Sure Marine in Seattle (www.suremarine.com).
Tanks are: Part #001-774 6# Worthington Aluminum LPG Tank OPD Equipped
LPG Capacity:1.4 Gallon Weight (full): 14 Pounds Height: 22-1/8â€