Marine Surveyor on Martha's Vineyard or nearby Falmouth area

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Marine Surveyor on Martha's Vineyard or nearby Falmouth area

Post by Sea Hunt »

Pursuing a strictly intellectual curiosity inclination ( :wink: ) I have been doing a little research to determine if there are any marine surveyors on Martha's Vineyard ("MV"). So far, after searching NAMS, SAMS and AMS, I have not been successful in finding any.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know of a marine surveyor based on MV who is qualified to inspect small, older model sailboats, say, for example, a Cape Dory in the 25-28 LOA range :?:

Assuming they are rare or non-existent on MV, does anyone happen to know of a marine surveyor on the mainland in the Falmouth, Woods Hole area of Cape Cod who would travel to MV :?:

Assuming the surveyor would travel from the mainland to MV, who customarily would pay for the travel time to and from MV :?: I know the buyer pays for haul, inspection, sea trial, engine load test, etc. However, given the extended travel times involved, and assuming most surveyors charge "portal to portal" time blocks, who pays for the extended travel times involved :?:

Thanks very much for any and all information, suggestions, etc.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Re: Marine Surveyor on Martha's Vineyard or nearby Falmouth

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt wrote:... for example, a Cape Dory in the 25-28 LOA range :?:
Expanding your options now??? :D :D :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Mike:

No, just trying to be a little generic, intentionally imprecise, vague, etc. and apparently not doing a very good job of it. :( :( :(

But, hey, thanks for now pointing out my apparently poorly disguised efforts to everyone[ :D :D :D ]so that now EVERYONE knows I remain in the search for my beloved CD 25D. The one for sale on Martha's Vineyard can be found advertised on several different websites including Yachtworld at:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Ca ... ted-States
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

SAMS -- http://www.marinesurvey.org/ma.html

Sea Hunt,

The folllowing marine surveyors are all located within a very close drive to a ferry heading to Martha's Vineyard. There are ferries to Martha's Vinehyard from Quonset Point, RI; Montauk, NY; New Bedford, Woods Hole, Falmouth and Hyannis, MA.

Timothy J. Pitts - Accredited Marine Surveyor 2002
Ocean Way Technology Inc.
P.O. Box 158
East Falmouth, Massachusetts 02536-0158
508-495-0350 -O, 508-564-8680 -Mobile, 508-495-0350 -Fax
tpitts@capecod.net

Edwin C. Boice - Accredited Marine Surveyor 1992
Edwin C. Boice. Inc.
One Bradford Road, P.O. Box 898
East Dennis, Massachusetts 02641
617-797-3033 -Mobile, 508-385-2683 -R
edwinboice@hotmail.com

Jeffrey P. Gonsalves - Surveyor Associate
Jeffrey P. Gonsalves Yacht Services
220 Smith Neck Road
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts 02748
508-264-6330 -Mobile

Jeffrey S. Perry - Accredited Marine Surveyor 2004
Perry Marine Surveying
51 Sea Meadow Drive
South Dennis, Massachusetts 02660
508-385-7811 -O, 978-924-4355 -Page, 508-385-1648 -Fax
captain@firstlightfishing.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Norm LeBlanc, who both Joe Meyerson and I recommend often, will survey on the Vinyard for you. He's happy to cover the whole east coast. He did my survey, 14 years ago, and got it right. (He also found nooks and crannies on a 28 foot Cape Dory that I've yet to find since!)

http://www.leblancmarinesurveyors.com/index2.html
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Neil beat me to it.

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yep, I'd gladly recommend Norm LeBlanc.

If distance is what worries you, go with the guy from East Falmouth; he's a short distance from Woods Hole and the ferry terminal, or even closer if he wants to take his own boat across the Sound.

Good luck, Robert.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
MFC
Hull No.128

Nice

Post by MFC »

Pretty sweet. Looks like you'll have one more sea berth than I will on my 330 Robert. The best part is its the perfect time of year to *sail* her home.
Good luck with your offer and survey.
Matt
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Cathy, Neil, Joe and all:

Thanks very much for the recommendations and suggestions. I will probably be talking with the broker this week about logistics, inspections, etc.

I will also get in touch with a few of the surveyors to see how they handle inspections on MV especially when the sailboat has been on the hard for the entire winter.

There are some logistical and scheduling hurdles to overcome not to mention the asking price :roll: (I thought we were still in a recession).

I also have to seriously consider what to do with S/V Tadpole. At the club the other day someone approached me again about buying her. Without thinking I just said "no way; not for sale; she's my girl". I may have to be a little more careful before making quick rejections of offers to buy her.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Sea hunt... I thought little S/V Tadpole was your "beloved"... I see you are fast changing priorities... Hmmm... :roll:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Eos
Island Heights, NJ

Post by Eos »

I'd recommend Peter Hunt. He surveyed our CD 27 in Marion last year. Great guy, very thorough and reasonably priced. He also used to work as a builder for Cape Dory so he knows them inside and out. He is based in MA and might be willing to travel to the Vineyard.

http://www.huntmarinesurvey.com/
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

My Dearest Zeida:

As you well know, a Cape Dory 25D has ALWAYS been my long term dream. However, when I found S/V Tadpole, I was admittedly smitten. I still love her and she will always be my "first love". However, everyone has their dream girl. Mine is a Cape Dory 25D in very good to Bristol condition with few, if any, modifications.

If and when I find my CD 25D it will be a very difficult decision day for me - buy a trailer and store S/V Tadpole at my house or part with her :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Post by Angela and Tom »

Sea Hunt wrote: There are some logistical and scheduling hurdles to overcome not to mention the asking price :roll: (I thought we were still in a recession).

If you don't think that the "Bristol" CD25D that you're looking at is worth the asking price that's one thing. But to expect to low-ball it just because of the economic climate is quite another. In searching for a boat, I've found that if you want "Bristol" it comes with a price tag. A lot of work and/or a lot of money goes into maintaining a boat in top condition.

Five years ago we were boat shopping and looking at the 25D. We found that the nice ones were close in price to the CD28. I haven't seen the MV boat in person but it indeed appears to be a beautifully maintained later model CD25D and doesn't seem to unfairly priced. Bargaining for a lower price is, of course, part of horse-dealing and boat-dealing. But to arbitrarily disparage the asking price simply because we're "in a recession" doesn't seem fair.

A
Bob Condon

Really Muggy was inspected by Peter Hunt

Post by Bob Condon »

He is out of the Hingham, Ma area, worked on my boat when he was a builder and did a fine survey.

Bob Condon
Bob Condon
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

When I saw her, she was beautifully maintained

Post by Joe Myerson »

Robert:

FWIW, when I saw "Blue Moon" sailing out of Fiddler's Cove, she was indeed, to use Angela's phrase, "beautifully maintained." We sort of raced one-on-one, but she quickly left Creme Brulee in her wake, as I was sailing with the working jib, while she was flying a genny.

That encounter was one of many reasons that I bought my genoa. Unfortunately, I haven't seen her since.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Angela and Tom:

I agree with your post 100%. It was not my intent to "arbitrarily disparage the asking price". I sincerely apologize that it may have been perceived that way.

I have some historical knowledge of this particular CD 25D. I did not think it appropriate to post this historical information on the board. If you would like to know more details I will be pleased to send you a PM. However, I do not wish to burden you further and will only do so if you tell me it is OK to do so.

I do not believe in "low balling" people, regardless of what is being sold or bought. I treat people the way I expect to be treated. When the day comes that I must part with S/V Tadpole (if that day ever comes) I do not want to be low balled by some prospective buyer trying to prey upon some wrongly perceived urgency to sell. Conversely, I do not want to be taken advantage of by someone who thinks a buyer is desperate to buy something and will therefore pay well above FMV to get it. There are buyers out there like that who want something so much they will pay anything. I am not one of them. I cannot afford to be like that. :( At least not until I win the Florida Lottery. Then it all changes :D :D :D :D

The above being said the current economic situation is a relevant factor to consider in pricing for anything - houses, cars, planes, boats, computers. The vast majority of folks (me included :( ) do not have the kind of discretionary funds we may have enjoyed 3-4 years ago. If a seller wants to sell something today, he or she may have to lower their expectations of what they can reasonably get for it - given the current and foreseeable economics. In my judgment, this is not "low balling". It is a realization and reaction to economics.

For example, if I bought a 1958 Triumph TR3 in excellent condition in January 2007, before the economic turndown, for $20,000 and did nothing to it, never really drove it; did not give it a new paint job; did not redo or upgrade the interior leather, etc., I would think it unreasonable for me to try to sell this same TR3 for $25,000 in today's economic climate. The $25,000 would be even more unreasonable (in my judgment) if the FMV for the TR3 was really only $17,000 in January 2007 when I bought it for $20,000 but I paid the additional 3 grand because I wanted it so bad and was willing to pay more than FMV.

The same is true of homes. As I am sure you would agree, that is part of the reason for so many houses being "upside down" or "under water" today. People bought their homes at was a FMV when they bought. The economics have changed and their home is now worth less - sometimes below the mortgage price. It is not that the house is different, damaged or deteriorated. It is simply that fewer people can afford to buy it now. Therefore, the fair market value is less.

The same is true of sailboats. There will always be those who can pay any amount for what they want. Most cannot. I cannot. I look for value in everything. I am very cautious. I try very hard to treat people (all people) fairly and honestly and I expect to be treated the same in return.

All of the above being said, this is most probably nothing more than an intellectual conversation. This particular CD 25D is far away, on an island and on the hard. Several surveyors have explained they charge extra for doing a survey on MV - travel time, ferry fees, transport rentals, taxis, etc. It is doubtful I will even be able to travel to Martha's Vineyard to actually look at her, although as you (Angela and Tom) correctly observe, the pictures show her to be nice. In the interest of full disclosure, these pictures were taken more than a year ago. Her current condition is unknown.

The bottom line - I again apologize that my earlier post was perceived by you (and perhaps others) as arbitrarily disparaging the asking price. That was not my intent.

P.S. Joe Myerson's recent post is almost identical to the one he posted about a year ago when I inquired of this board if anyone had any knowledge of this particular CD 25D when it was offered for sale by a prior owner.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097