Re-outfitting a CD30 Sailboat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Condon

Re-outfitting a CD30 Sailboat

Post by Bob Condon »

My brother is refitting the interior of a CD30 for friend. She purchased a boat that had the interior readically altered and wants
to bring it back.

Is there any place to purchased door, cabinetry etc?

He figured he will need to make everything custom.

The only place I could point him to was Robinhood Marine.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
Bob Condon
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

A or B Plan interior?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi,

What do you mean my radically altered? Cape Dory built the CD30 with two different interiors. The "A" plan with a v-berth up in the fo'c'sle and the "B" plan with the head up forward in the fo'c'sle instead. Your friend my have a CD built with the "B" interior, in which case it is original.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

In which case it also seems that it may be worth more the way it is.

Pictures?

Good catch Cathy I would never have thought of that possibility, Steve.
lobstahpotts

Post by lobstahpotts »

If I am not mistaken, the friend is Jane and the boat is CD30 Hull #243, now known as Galateia I believe.

Up until last September, this boat was S/V Andronikos and did have a radically altered layout. It was an A plan, the original owner (we were second) tore out the port settee and put in a permanent raised double berth, removed the head sink in lieu of a shower seat, and got rid of all doors. We never bothered changing it back as the layout worked for us--one could put four under bed storage bins beneath the double berth and this was quite a bit more storage than normal.

I can not say much about the other areas, as we never looked into it much, but we watched for doors for ~10 years and never found ones that were ideal. I guess that's not what you're hoping to hear, but alas it's what I've got.
Carl Thunberg

Doors are not difficult.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If your brother has the cabinetmaking skills to make custom berths, then he should be able to make reproduction doors that look like the original. These doors are not particularly unique and the joinery is actually just your basic rail and stile door with two panels. A reasonably accomplished cabinetmaker should be able to fabricate one of these doors in an afternoon.

Since your brother's friend is in the unique position of starting more or less from scratch, she might want to consider using something other than teak. Teak can be a real budget-buster. You can make some gorgeous cabinets out of cherry for a lot less than teak.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Klem

Post by Klem »

Try posting on the forum to see what people may have. If you give an exact list of what you need, you might get lucky. A nice member on here sold me the head doors off of his cape dory since mine did not come with them. A lot of people do change the layout somewhat. For example, I removed the sink and cabinetry from the head.
Bob Condon

parts parts parts...cd30

Post by Bob Condon »

Thanks lobstahpotts,

I think you are correct about the boat. He does have access to an old woodworking shop.

My other suggestion for my brother was to find out if there were severely damage CD30 out of Katrina or other storms to get parts.

The other interesting issue is that the shower and sinks all dump into the bilge. I was surprised that there was not a through hull as is on my CD28 Intrepid for sinks.

Thanks
Bob
Bob Condon
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Draining into the bilge

Post by Joe Myerson »

Bob,

I'm not that familiar with the CD30, but on Creme Brulee, a 25D with its famously large head compartment, the sink and shower (well, I just have the drain), both empty into the bilge.

I would have preferred some other arrangement, but perhaps Cape Dory Yachts or Carl Alberg wanted to keep the number of seacocks to a minimum.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven's sinks go to their own dedicated seacocks. The shower has a pan that runs under the cabin sole to the bilge access. There it is deeper to form a reservoir that can either be pumped out or drained into the bilge. We never use the shower but I am glad the sinkd don't drain to the bilge, Steve.
Dalton

Long Branch Manufacturing

Post by Dalton »

Not sure where you are but there's this company in Long Branch NJ who can build anything. And he's reasonable. They used to be called Long Branch Manufacturing, now just LBM design. At one point he was manufacturing cabinet doors for Sabre.

I found their web site: http://lbmdesign.net Bill Poandl.

I had him build doors, hatches and fabricate rail sections on my previous boat, an Alberg 35.

GD