sink drain

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

sink drain

Post by moctrams »

Has anyone installed a seacock for the bath room sink, rather than letting it drain into the bilge?
rorik

Post by rorik »

If it were me, I'd tie it into the main sink drain, the head holding tank setup, or the icebox sump. For me that's a better idea than adding another hole in the hull.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven came to me with what looks like a factory fitted Spartan seacock for the head sink drain. It has a backing plate and bonding wire identical to all the others on board.

It is in the cabinet right below the sink. This lessens the usable amount of stowage in that under there. It is very easy to get at and stays closed most of the time. I generally use the galley sink for everything. Liz likes the head sink and uses the seacock when the sink is needed. The installation of one more Spartan seacock doesn't bother me a bit. I would much rather have it there than whatever goes into the sink ending up in my bilge.

Adding all sorts of hose to plumb it to an existing seacock might present more risk than one more hole in the boat, Steve.