New owners of a Typhoon Weekender saying "Thanks!"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dino
Location: Oriental, NC. CD 25D. Previously CD22, Typhoon and CD 10.

New owners of a Typhoon Weekender saying "Thanks!"

Post by Dino »

Thank you all very much for the wonderful wealth of knowledge you've put on this board! It helped us know what to look for in a first keel boat, and what to look for in a Weekender.

We found "Spindrift", hull #1721 in the Charlotte area. She was made in 1980, the year we were married and seems the perfect 30th anniversary gift to ourselves. The previous owners are a charming younger couple on lake Norman that wanted to trade their Weekender for a Daysailer model. Worked out well for all of us.

Needed a little TLC, some new running rigging and a new main, but certainly sailworthy as she sat, we sailed on her twice before bringing her home to Middlesex. We'll sail a bit on the reservoir we live on and trailer her to Oriental and other points east.

Spindrift has one unusual feature -- there are no port or deadlights on the coachroof sides but there are bronze portlights on the bulkhead. Was that an option? Or lack of an option perhaps? Or did CD make to special order?

Just curious, thought someone here might know something. Anyway, thanks again for all the information you've shared with this long time lurker.

See you around,
Dino and Cheryl
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

pics, pics. We need Pics.
Dino

Look Ma! No coach roof lights!

Post by Dino »

They're on the bulkhead!

(Note the side stays were switched in this picture, since swapped.)

[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_tgB5bogSKeI/S6K-p ... 101037.jpg[/img]
Dino

Post by Dino »

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: New owners of a Typhoon Weekender saying "Thanks!&q

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Dino and Cheryl:
Dino wrote: Spindrift has one unusual feature -- there are no port or deadlights on the coachroof sides but there are bronze portlights on the bulkhead. Was that an option? Or lack of an option perhaps? Or did CD make to special order?
There are folks on this board with much, much more knowledge of Typhoon Weekenders than me. Until they chime in, which I am sure will be soon, I will offer my 2 cents. :roll:

I looked at a lot of Typhoon Weekenders (in person and on various websites) before purchasing S/V Tadpole. I never saw one that had "portlights" or portholes on the bulkheads. I have also never heard of this configuration before. I am assuming (really a "WAG") that this was a "modification" by a prior owner. He may have removed them from the port and starboard sides of the coach roof and installed them where they are now.

Congratulations on your purchase :!: You will love your Ty Weekender. They are great sailboats.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

New Ty WE Owners

Post by Oswego John »

Dino & Cheryl,
By Sea Hunt
I have also never heard of this configuration before. I am assuming (really a "WAG") that this was a "modification" by a prior owner.
Ditto. Same thoughts here.

Good luck with your new gem.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
GLutzow

Portlights

Post by GLutzow »

I purchased a Typhoon new in 1980 from Fair Winds Marine in Illinois and the Ports were on the side of the deck house. As far as I know, they have been there for the entire production run.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Dino

Post by Dino »

A mod is certainly a possibility, but if it is a mod the person(s) that did it were among the elite of cosmetic plastic surgeons. There is no hint that I can discern that the areas where the lights would have been installed is any different than adjacent areas of the interior or exterior.

An oddity either way, whether a factory mod or an owner that was a perfectionist craftsman.

Either way, the Admiral advises that the boat is "cuter" with the coach roof lights so I think a project is in the works ...
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

If there is truly no sign of repair at all (especially inside), I might wager this was done as a custom order.
May we also suggest that before cutting any holes in your new boat... Go sailing first!!! ;-)

-mike & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Troy Scott

portlights

Post by Troy Scott »

My 1980 Weekender had portlights on the cabin sides. They did not open. If I were in your shoes, and if I expected to "camp out" on the boat, I would find some nice new bronze or SS opening ports of about the same size as the fixed portlights that should have been there originally. I would install them in the same position as they usually are found on Weekenders. It would be nice if they had screens.

Also, that ventilator on the foredeck, if the balsa isn't well sealed around the cutout, might be a source of water intrusion into the core. This is a common problem.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

portlights

Post by Troy Scott »

My 1980 Weekender had portlights on the cabin sides. They did not open. If I were in your shoes, and if I expected to "camp out" on the boat, I would find some nice new bronze or SS opening ports of about the same size as the fixed portlights that should have been there originally. I would install them in the same position as they usually are found on Weekenders. It would be nice if they had screens.

Also, that ventilator on the foredeck, if the balsa isn't well sealed around the cutout, might be a source of water intrusion into the core. This is a common problem.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Dino

Post by Dino »

Sailing? Oh yes, that! I almost forgot!

(Working on these things is ... I don't know. There's something soothing and satisfying about bringing it back. Making it right again? Are we healing them? Is that it?)
Dino

Post by Dino »

I took the solar ventilator off because the cover was cracked. I made a replacement out of the top of a domed Rubbermaid container, nice and flexible, not as likely to crack. 3M 5200 affixes it to the body of the ventilator.

The whole ventilator slides out of the hole. It seems the hole was very properly done, I don't know if it was original or not but it almost looks like a PVC pipe is the hole, it is bonded and faired well both on the inside and outside of the deck, very neatly done. A nice sharp Rap! is the sound I hear anywhere I tap with the butt of a screwdriver. I don't think there is any softness anywhere on this boat. (Except maybe me when I'm on it.)
Dick Villamil

Typhoon Foredeck Vent

Post by Dick Villamil »

I too had a similar vent on the foredeck when I purchased Victoria. The cover was broken so I removed the unit, purchased a new plastic cover and then checked the cutout. The balsa had not been sealed so I added a coat of epoxy to the cut edge and then painted it to ensure there was no future water leakage. I also added new caulking since the original caulking was dried out. This is cheap insurance. A few weeks after I installed the new vent cover someone sat on it and cracked it. I then bit the bullet and bought a stainless cover - well worth the extra investment sinc e it has witheld 3 years of use.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Typhoon Daysailer or Weekender?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Dino wrote:Picture from ahead.

[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_tgB5bogSKeI/S6K-y ... 01037a.jpg[/img]
There are 4 different Typhoon models: Typhoon Daysailer with Cuddy, Typhoon Open Daysailer, Typhoon Weekender and the Typhoon Senior.

To help identify your model, take a look at the HIN on the transom. In the identification number, the Weekender has a "D" after the "CPD"; the open daysailer model has a "G" and the model with the open cuddy has a "K".

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay