CD-26 Outboard motor replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jwestman

CD-26 Outboard motor replacement

Post by jwestman »

I will likely purchase a CD26 this spring. The boat currently has an old Honda four stroke with an above water exhaust port. The current owner says that the motor will not run properly unless the the engine locker hatch cover is raised. I am looking for recommendations for a replacement motor. Please include reasons for your recommendation. This is my first of, I hope, many posts. I am a former CD30K owner who made a big mistake in selling out for the trawler life. Fun boat; maintenance nightmare!
Steve Zwicky
Hull #24 Charleston, SC

CD 26 engine replacement

Post by Steve Zwicky »

Congrats on your new boat. I've had a Johnson 9.9 2-stroke, a Yamaha 9.9 hi-thrust and my current 9.8 Tohatsu with 25" leg. They all will fit although you'll have to make some adjustments to the mounting board's position. (I would have loved to try the Tohatsu 6hp with 25" shaft but didn't have the confidence it could handle the Charleston currents.) Having two vent cowls, facing forward and back, should help clear exhaust fumes as long as the wind is blowing or you are moving.
I also installed an exhaust fan for one of the vents for those times when I'm motoring in a river at the same speed as the wind thus moving in still air. Note: a flatter-bladed prop will improve thrust.
Hope this helps, Steve
Steve Zwicky
"Lauretta" - CD26
tartansailor

Honda In The Well

Post by tartansailor »

My 8 hp Honda fits fine in my CD 25 because there are 2" spacers under the hinges. Does not hinder appearance one bit.
I do believe that 8hp is too much for my boat.

Dick
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Post by Scott MacCready »

I had a Honda 10HP, 4-stroke in my CD26. Initially I had problems when attempting to motor with the lid closed but solved it via suggestings found on this site. First I added some louvered vents to the engine engine cover alowing it to breathe better. Then I took a piece of copper tubing (been a while but I think 3/8"), inserted it into the small exhaust port on the back of the shaft, and bent it downward under the water line so the exhaust exiting underwater. Never had a problem after that.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I don't know about your location (tides, currents, etc) but a simple little Nissan 6hp 4-stroke was plenty fine for my CD25. It was light enough to easily lift out and stow on the cabin sole when not needed. Since we have salty water, the motor spent most of it's time on the sole, unless needed.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
jwestman

CD 26 engine replacement

Post by jwestman »

Thanks for all the responses so far. I will let everyone know what I end up doing.
Big E
Salem, MA

Re: Honda In The Well

Post by Big E »

tartansailor wrote:My 8 hp Honda fits fine in my CD 25 because there are 2" spacers under the hinges. Does not hinder appearance one bit.
I do believe that 8hp is too much for my boat.

Dick
I disagree. I have a suzuki 8 & it left me wanting more in a 25kt headwind with 8 ft. seas. Better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it. Just my 2 cents.
drb9

CD 26 motor

Post by drb9 »

here are more responses, including my experience with Honda v. Yamaha. Still very happy with the Yamaha.

But, and this may be a topic for another post, but, but, but, I am disappointed with the performance of antifouling paint on the motor. I get a lot of growth during the season. So, this year I am going to explore surrounding the lower unit with one of those cylindrical waterproof bags. I figure if I can weight the bottom, it will sink below the propeller, and then I will draw it up around it, pump out the salt water and fill it with fresh water. I lost a lot of power by the end of the season, and I think it was from growth on the propeller.
GLutzow

Growth

Post by GLutzow »

I find that I have to dive on my boat every other week to remove growth. If I were to let more than a month go by, which I did on one occasion, the growth becomes so onerous that the propeller is ineffectual because of the growth.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Steve Zwicky
Hull #24 Charleston, SC

CD 26-Outboard Motor Replacement

Post by Steve Zwicky »

Dear drb9, A bag like you described can work very well. I made mine out of pvc and tarp. I have a larger "forked" pvc pipe that fits over the two extensions of the square frame to help me position/retract the bag. The bag is held in place with four lines attached to the corners of the frame and cleated inside the well. A small hooked rod helps to snag the lines when securing the bag to the boat. Another longer line is tied to the frame and held while positioning/retracting the contraption. No weight is needed. Just scoop it thru the water to burp the bubbles.
The frame is 12"x12" square with two 8" extensions on one side which accept the "fork". The boxy bag is sewn from a plastic tarp and is 12x12 and 23" long. I use cable ties to secure the bag to the frame. If you're at a dock, run the hose for a while to displace the bad water - no need to pump it out.
The real advantage is being able to run the motor (in neutral) and flush it after each sail. I've used this for eight years and am very pleased with it. Each tarp lasts at least a year. You'll have to hose off the growth on the outside of the bag when you pull it off. Better there than on the motor! I can send pics if you want. Steve
Steve Zwicky
"Lauretta" - CD26
tartansailor

Re: Honda In The Well

Post by tartansailor »

I disagree. I have a suzuki 8 & it left me wanting more in a 25kt headwind with 8 ft. seas. Better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it. Just my 2 cents.

Get a 6" pitch prop.
Yours is probably 8 something.

Dick