swim ladder for CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Folding Step

Post by Sea Owl »

Thanks Henry!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Any details on the mounting for that folding step, Henry?
Mine just arrived from Defender.
EO

Post by EO »

FWIW, I have a climbing etrier attached to a carabiner, which I clip onto either the stern cleat or backstay base. It is a 5 step etrier, enclosed in its own pouch, very easy to deploy... Metolius and Yates have nice models. You can find them online from most any rock climbing company. Better yet, they're easy to make if you're so inclined/equiped. I've used it once (only a test!). The folding step looks great, but something about drilling holes in my hull...
Dixon Hemphill

ladders

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

In my youth I might, repeat might, have been able to get on board my CD 28 using the Defender folding step but now I, and I'll bet most of the readers of this website, need a real ladder which extends at least two feet below the water's surface to climb on board.

I would like to hear from someone who has actually climbed on boad using the Defender.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It depends on how bad you want to get back aboard.

Count me in among the few that could climb the step. I put the wind vane on two years ago and can climb in on the support tubing pretty easily. Before that I could get back on board by sticking a big toe in the exhaust outlet. It wasn't that comfy on your toe but it worked.

The folding step near water level would be down right luxurious.

It helps to have had some rock climbing experience in the early part of my life. At 55 I haven't lost it all just yet, Steve.