Cape Dory 22 outboard motor; smallest hp servicable

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Cape Dory 22 outboard motor; smallest hp servicable

Post by Sea Hunt »

One of our brethren is offering for sale his 1981 Cape Dory 22. It comes with a Yamaha 8 hp 4 stroke outboard motor attached to the transom with an O/B motor bracket.

From the CD 22s I looked at 2-3 years ago if memory serves, all had about the same size O/B as this CD 22 - an 8 - 9.8 hp O/B (2 or 4 stroke depending on age).

My question is strictly educational and addressed to those who currently own or have owned a CD 22:

What is the smallest size O/B that can be used on a Cape Dory 22 assuming moderate to minimum tidal changes, moderate to minimum currents and minimum surface wave action :?: :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Jeff D

Motor Size

Post by Jeff D »

In a previous life I had a CD 22 which came with a 2 stroke 8hp. The weight of the motor upset the trim so much that a PO put a few lead bricks in the rope locker to offset. I think that it was overkill. The 8hp had more than enough power for Narragansett Bay so I think that a 5hp would be plenty.
hughesw

5 HP Here

Post by hughesw »

I have a 5 HP, 2 cycle Mercury (Tohatsu) on my CD-22. It works very well for me. Pushes her along at hull speed at about half-throttle. I'm not sure of the exact weight of the motor, but I have no problems lifting it onto the motor mount when the boat is on the trailer.

I imagine a 4 HP would also suffice, given moderate currents, etc.

Cheers,

Warren H.
Klem

Post by Klem »

I hope that I am not stealing the thread but for the people who have responded to this, what prop were you running? Was it the stock prop or did you go to one specially made for this application?
hughesw

Post by hughesw »

I'm pretty sure mine is the stock 7 pitch ( 3 X 7.9 X 7.0).

Not sure if 'pitch' is the correct term.

Warren H.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

OBs and small CDs

Post by Jim Davis »

When I bought my 25 back in 73 I used a Merc 4 HP. It was the smallest engine at the time with a gear shift. That engine lasted until about 85 and never failed to give me adequate speed and reserve power. It was capable of overpowering the boat into very heavy seas on the Neuse River (short period and very steep). It would drive the bow through the waves. I do not drive into that type sea unless absolutely necessary, it is hard on the boat and crew.

My wife is in the process of restoring a 25 and she will be using a Nissan 5.

Personal opinion. All the small Cape Dorys are a bit tender in the butt and don't want excessive weight back there. For an area like Biscayne Bay and a reasonable radius I doubt that you need more than 5 HP and a four would be fine.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Smallest?

Post by Gary M »

I've got a 5HP long shaft that I am very well pleased with but I swear I'd change it to my old 2HP dink motor if the 2HP could use my external gas tank.

I think the 2HP would be fine for getting me out of the slip and back in and that is basically all I use it for unless the wind shuts off unexpectedly.

Any long trips and the 5HP goes back on!

That being said, it is Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles which does have currents but none to be concerned with.

Gary
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

I have been using a 4 HP long shaft for 5 years and feel no need to upgrade. I picked it because I already owned it and was low on money, but have been happy with the results.

Finding an external tank that will fit is tricky because of the small space. The prop is a custom one that my outboard guy said would work better, but I have no idea what it is.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

External tank

Post by Jim Davis »

This works on my Honda 2000i, it should work for an OB. I did add a disconnect to the cap.
http://www.ilynne.com/captaingoddammit/
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Jerry Albright
B Plan,
Mobile, Al

Outboard Size / Honda Generator

Post by Jerry Albright »

I owned a Pearson Electra , another Alberg designed 23' full keel boat, I would guess about the same weight as the CD22. I used a Nissan 3 1/2 HP Long Shaft w/ the standard prop, it never gave me any problem. The 3 1/2 Nissan pushed my Pearson better than the Yanmar YSB8 pushed my CD27 ( that's not saying much).

I also own (2) Honda EU Generators, a EU1000i and an EU2000i, if I am not mistaken both of these Generators have fuel pumps, and don't rely on a gravity feed tank. I don't know if the outboard tank set-up would work on an outboard without a fuel pump???

Smooth Sailing
Jerry A
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

external tank

Post by Gary M »

Jim,

If you hadn't told me I wouldn't have believed it would work!

Back in my Ty days, I had a seagull. On long trips I would use an external tank with a "jack rabbit" manual pump to transfer the gas from the external tank to the seagull. This worked well with no modifications.

The procedure was to motor for about an hour and a half then refill the tank with the pump.

Maybe I will try that old 2HP some day after all.

Gary
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Remember I'm using it on a generator

Post by Jim Davis »

It's possible that you will have to sit the tank on the transom above the OB for gravity feed. One nice thing about the quick disconnect on the engine end is I can squirt some fuel through with a squeeze bulb so there is no air in the hose.

I do try to keep the tank about the same height as the generators tank.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

"Gentlemen":

Thank you all for the informative responses and suggestions. It seems like the consensus among CD 22 owners (past and present) is that a 5 HP (or a 4 or 6) should work well in Biscayne Bay and that an 8 or 9.8 HP makes the CD 22 stern heavy.

I seem to recall looking at a few CD 22s where it seemed the stern was "riding low" with a 8 or 9.8 HP on the transom.

I know that on S/V Tadpole I notice a very slight "stern low" with the 65 lbs. 6 HP Suzuki. I really only notice this when I look at her boot stripe. However, the advantages to me of an internal gravity feed tank outway this.

Thank you again. Very educational. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Raymond

Counter-Intuitive

Post by Raymond »

The outboard with the least horsepower that is capable of pushing a displacement-hull sail boat at hull speed in calm conditions will push that boat through any conditions just as well as an outboard with greater horsepower.

For example, an 8 HP outboard will not punch a TY through rough seas any better than a 3.5 HP outboard (allowing for differences in prop diameter, pitch, so forth). The larger outboard will simply burn more fuel.

Better to spend your money on an extra-long shaft.
Sea Hunt

Re: Counter-Intuitive

Post by Sea Hunt »

Raymond wrote:The outboard with the least horsepower that is capable of pushing a displacement-hull sail boat at hull speed in calm conditions will push that boat through any conditions just as well as an outboard with greater horsepower.

For example, an 8 HP outboard will not punch a TY through rough seas any better than a 3.5 HP outboard (allowing for differences in prop diameter, pitch, so forth). The larger outboard will simply burn more fuel.
Huh :?: :?: :?:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097