Two Ships Passing in The Night

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Two Ships Passing in The Night

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Annie,

You say
Although my better judgment says to keep quiet, based on past responses to my posts, I can't help myself here.
Have no fear. In my opinion, your responses are *right on*. Tell it like it is.

I have to tell you something but I hesitate a little bit, I'm hoping that you take the following as a compliment. It is.

Whenever you post, I always think back to this.

One of my all time favorite movies was shown back in the early thirties. I hope that this doesn't date me. :oops:

The movie was "Tugboat Annie". Its stars were Marie Dressler who played Capt. Annie Brennan and Wallace Beery who played her lazy, beer loving husband who stretched the truth a bit far.

Their son, Alec, was played by a very youngish Robert Young.

Capt. Annie ran a steam harbour tug. She had a heart as big as a basketball. She also had her hands full trying to keep her husband Terry out of trouble. It was basically a comedy but had some moments to make you think deeply.

This movie, in black and white was, and still is, one of my all time favorites. I bet a dollar to a donut, seeing your occupation and what your name is, I bet that this isn't the first time that anyone mentioned this to you.

Stay in the channel, y'hear? :D

O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Feb 19th, '10, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Hmmm the USS J.F.Kennedy same ship I served on back in the late 70's early 80's. (Back then we still had Marines onboard.) What is also interesting is that the JFK was involved in colision with a smaller vessel:
In July 2004, Kennedy collided with a dhow in the Persian Gulf, leaving no survivors on the traditional Arab sailing boat. After the incident the Navy relieved the commanding officer of the Kennedy, CAPT Stephen B. Squires. The carrier itself was unscathed, but two jet fighters on the deck were damaged when one slid into the other as the ship made a hard turn to avoid the tiny vessel. A popular misconception is that CAPT Squires waited to make the turn at the last possible moment to recover aircraft returning from airstrikes that were critically low on fuel. The official review board determined this was not the case and the aircraft could have remained safely aloft until the Kennedy maneuvered to avoid the dhow.
The captain of the dhow may have been right, but he is still dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_John_F ... dy_(CV-67)
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Not just Gross Tonnage

Post by Joe Myerson »

Annie:

There's also the rule of Common Sense!
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

Thank, OJ! I appreciate it!

As for this:
The movie was "Tugboat Annie". Its stars were Marie Dressler who played Capt. Annie Brennan and Wallace Beery who played her lazy, beer loving husband who stretched the truth a bit far.

Their son, Alec, was played by a very youngish Robert Young.

Capt. Annie ran a steam harbour tug. She had a heart as big as a basketball. She also had her hands full trying to keep her husband Terry out of trouble. It was basically a comedy but had some moments to make you think deeply.

This movie, in black and white was, and still is, one of my all time favorites. I bet a dollar to a donut, seeing your occupation and what your name is, I bet that this isn't the first time that anyone mentioned this to you.
I had heard of the movie but have not seen it yet. NOW it's definitely on my list. Thanks for the heads-up! And, yes, I absolutely take it as a compliment. :D I've been called Annie Oakley on many occasions because I like to shoot but I think I like this one better.
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

If they're keeing a good watch...

Post by Neil Gordon »

... you might actually be able to get them on the radio. In reduced viz, I chat with the Boston harbor ferries all the time.

As for the rule of tonnage, anticipating all of the possible outcomes can save your rub rail.

A ship coming into Boston might show me its stbd bow but only until taking the right turn to the inner harbor. Holding course to cross its bow as it bears down always feels "unnatural."

Watch also for the ship that actually respects your rights. If they do, you're obligated to maintain course and speed. If you turn to duck behind them at the same time they turn to duck behind you, ...

As for keeping a good watch, in what was probably 1971 somewhere in the Caribbean, this then young signalman in USS Newport News called (by flashing light) and chatted with what turned out to be the QE2.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698