Americas Cup!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

D Rush

The old days

Post by D Rush »

I remember the old days of Americas Cup racing in Newport, RI in the 1970's. Newport was a big party at night and serious racing during the day. I would visit my sister in Newport as a teenage in the summer. Newport was a lot of fun. In those days it was almost one design racing, almost. The Americas Cup did devolve into technology and money contest.
Isn't that what happen in auto racing? and the Olympics?

I've always liked the idea of one design racing and PHRF racing.
I have fond memories of sailing Turnabouts, and Hustlers in Quincy Bay.
Since the 1970's I crewed on my cousin's Pearson 26 in PHRF racing. It's a nice way to spend a Wednesday night on Hingham Bay.

But even in One Design & PHRF you have to spend money to stay competitive, like buying new sails and repainting the bottom more often.
Denis
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Hustlers

Post by Joe Myerson »

Denis,

I learned to sail on an old wooden Hustler (No. 119).

My dad bought the boat from one of his law partners and brought her to Buzzards Bay. There were only three Hustlers on the Bay, and we occasionally got together for races (Dad and I always lost), but they were wonderful boats, capable of speed and also seaworthy -- if wet.

Driving to work at Marina Bay in the summer (the job, and company no longer exist), it always gave me a thrill to see the brightly painted Hustlers at Squantum YC.

Best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Ellison

Post by henry hey »

Someone in this thread mentioned that the 'Americans' are ahead.

I don't think that most of us here would willing choose to group themselves with Larry Ellison. He's well known to be an arrogant a**hole. He spends on himself exorbitantly while his company is having issues, and pushes his weight around in his 'hobbies'.

-h
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Henry,

I put that in quotations for a reason. Snideness. For the reasons you cite, and also because I doubt there are that many Americans on the boat.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dean Abramson

PS

Post by Dean Abramson »

But I still may rise at 4:00 am to watch!
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dean Abramson

Finally

Post by Dean Abramson »

It's 10:08am, and they may start!
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Finally

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dean Abramson wrote:It's 10:08am, and they may start!
Watching the Spanish flag waving in anticipation of the starting sequence is almost as exciting as watching the actual race. :)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dean Abramson

Fast boats

Post by Dean Abramson »

I did enjoy watching some of it. Pretty wild to see boats sail at more than three times the wind speed.

But I think this is somewhat telling: I went to ESPN's website, and there is zero mention of the event on the home page.

BTW: Oracle won.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Imagine the nerves it would take to be at the helm of one of those puppies.

You are at the wheel of a beast that does not respond very quickly, is huge and costs a gazillion dollars aside from national pride and big egos at stake.

Oh and you are closing on the other guy at over 40 knots and you know he isn't going to back down either.

If yacht racing had many more marks to round it would be far more interesting, Steve.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

I totally agree. This course at least had three legs, instead of two. But why not a dozen? With no legs repeated. Watching them maneuver sure beats the parts when they just go straight.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I forgot the fact that if they touched at all both boats would most likely crumble into the sea.

Still pretty amazing performance, Steve.
Joe Myerson

Amazing

Post by Joe Myerson »

Steve and Dean,

I agree that these craft represent amazing feats of engineering genius, and the NYTimes article in last Tuesday's "Science Times" explained some of the physics involved.

And yes, I can't even imagine what it must be like to take the helm of such a beast.

Also, I guess it's nice to have The Cup back in American (is BMW really an American company?) hands. Still, if they're going to spend millions on these boats, I'd rather they go back to racing schooners or J-Boats. They were beautiful to look at and, if I remember correctly, cost was the reason they were abandoned for the "cheaper" 12-Meter class.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Steve Laume wrote:I forgot the fact that if they touched at all both boats would most likely crumble into the sea ...
For the sake of argument, I ask that my contrarian (at least in this thread) view be allowed.

First, why should one expect these devices to be held to and judged by some external norm? Indeed, they appear fragile and not entirely "classic." But has anyone ever asked the Budweiser Clydesdales to race at Ascot, or bet good money on pit bulls at the Florida dog tracks?

Next and while I'm up here on my high horse barking away (continuing the theme), why not get rid of that new-fangled aluminum stuff on Cape Dory boats and revert to telephone pole style masts? Much stronger, I'd bet, and probably greener considering the electricity-intensive nature of aluminum production.

Further, what's so great about GRP construction? These materials are petrochemical-based and keep us forever beholden to foreign interests, some of whom have evinced evil intent in the past. Same goes for fancy cordage and synthetics, easily replaced by natural tarred hemp. Of course the hemp itself could double as a tobacco replacement in some quarters.

Ah, the good old days.

Wait a minute, would we even be having this discussion, in this forum, in "the good old days"?
Joe Myerson

All good points.

Post by Joe Myerson »

Armond,

All your points are well-taken.

I love to look at, and even sail on, wooden boats. But would I ever want to own--or maintain--one?

Technology is wonderful for many reasons, including the fact that it gives us a chance to pretend that we long for the "good old days," while enjoying the use of our computers, GPS, mobile phones, hybrid cars and ...

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Americas Cup!

Post by Zeida »

Dean, I'm glad you were able to watch the second race. Both races were awsome. I see all the comments on this board and respectfully disagree. Since this country still gives no importance to the sport of sailing, no network was interested in carrying the competition... especially with the Olympics going on at the same time.... But it was available on the internet, in the americascup.com website. They transmitted the races live, press conferences, etc. Since this is a sport I do love, of course, I watched it... LIVE! What a thrill it was.

I screamed and cheered for the American trimaran which has a design so beautiful it reminds me of an albatross taking flight. The technology involved in building, designing and racing it is magnificent and extraordinary. No one can stop the human mind from moving forward.

As a CapeDory lover (and owner) I also love the classic boats. I especially love the Cape Dories, but have an open mind to admire and be fascinated by what pushing the envelope can do. I have admired Larry Ellison from the start of his racing (sailing) career. With his maxi Sayonara and on. His money is where his mouth -and love-is: in the sport of sailing. Some of us are cruisers, some of us also like to race.

I have raced our little beloved Typhoons, and have raced my CD25 on handicap. I used to race J-24's and Solings until I hurt my back and could not race again - so now I do what I can on my CD-33, which I love. But the pleasure of seeing USA17 beat Alinghi was fantastic. The thrill of a race is incomparable and if you have experienced it once, you want to do it again. Some people have very little minds and not much vision nor imagination...fortunately Larry Ellison is not one of them. I take my hat off to him, to his extraordinary crew -who cares if some of them are not Americans? The Kiwis are superb sailors! John Kosteki, the navigator, is American, as well as an old hand at the Americas Cup. Larry put together the BEST team of sailors currently in the business. I loved what happened closed to the rounding of the first mark on the second race, when Alinghi was ahead, and Oracle was able to sneak behind and inside and put pedal to the metal and rounded ahead 28 seconds. After that it was a rout! Go USA!

I am sad that we will not see those two extraordinary racing machines again. Larry already said he will revert the Cup to traditional monohulls, open to all. This match race was the product of Alinghi's syndicate trying to change the rules of the legendary race. Larry finally won in Court AND on the water. I for one am delighted at the outcome. The replays are still available at the americascup.com website. :D
Zeida
CDSOA Member