Battery location

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Battery location

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Has anyone ever removed the floor of the cabin. If so is there room for mounting batteries under it?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Maybe, there is but do you really want to reduce the water carrying capacity of your bilge?

I have always felt like there wasn't much volume in my bilge as designed. Raven has her holding tank in the aft end thus reducing the volume of water that could enter the bilge before it reached the cabin sole.

The other factor is that if you did have a flooding situation and needed your engine and or bilge pump, your batteries might already be flooded by sea water.

If there was room and the above factors were not a concern, you should at least go with sealed batteries. It would be great to have the weight in that position but there are other factors to consider.

It's hard to find room for everything, Steve.
tartansailor

Batteries in the Bilge

Post by tartansailor »

I think it is a good idea.
Just be sure to tape over the vent holes in your battery box COVER so that you have an air pocket in case of a flood, and the boxes are secure.
That way your terminals will not short out.
It is an accepted practice.

Dick
Klem

Post by Klem »

I am doubtful that you will get batteries to fit but I don't think that it would be a bad idea if they did. As to the concern of the batteries going under water, it is common practice to put a dedicated starting battery somewhere else(like in the stock location) and echo charge it.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

The idea came from a LaFette 44 I sailed across the gulf of mexico on. There were 4 8D batteries under his cabin floor. I was wondering about the possibility of flooding the batteries, especially since on that trip we were taking on 30 gallons of water every 4 hours.

I am certain that once I start setting my boat up for cruising larger battery capacity will become an important factor. This and the ever re accruing topic of the CD31s tenderness got me wondering where would be the best place for the extra weight of batteries.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

I buiIt a teak battery box and secured it to the cabin sole at the bottom of the companion way. I cut off the companionway ladder and the battery box now is the bottom step.

Charlie Brenton
Carol Anne
CD 33
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Charlie,

Would it be too much trouble to ask for some pictured of your battery storage modification. I have considered doing something like that. Thanks.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Battery box

Post by cbrenton »

I don't have any pictures handy but I will be on the boat in a couple of weeks. I will take one and try to post it

Charlie
Duncan
Montreal, QC

The importance of ventilation

Post by Duncan »

I haven't heard of any sailboats blown up by the hydrogen their batteries produce, but I'm still leery of flooded lead-acid batteries in the cabin, because of outgassing.

I'm also tempted by the advantages in boat trim and access, but I think that providing for undoubted ventilation to the outside would be a seamanlike approach?
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Thanks Charlie. I am curious to see them.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Just listened to a great webinar on the subject. The title of the session was called "Advanced Charging System, Battery Bank, and DC Wiring Design", by Steve D'Antonio, produced by Pro Boat E-Learning. Excellent !

To see it - follow the link. https://cc.readytalk.com/play?id=euuj6o

To read more about the author - follow this link - http://www.stevedmarineconsulting.com

To read about other Pro Boat webinars - follow the link - http://www.proboate-training.com/

There will be other webinars that should be of great interest to CD Owners.

Forrest
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420
Kevin Kaldenbach

Forrest,
Is this the weekend for the gulf fleet meeting?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Hi Kevin

The meeting is scheduled for 2/20 (the 3rd Saturday of the month), at 10:00, at the Pier 7 Club House.

The SSCA also meets on the same day.

"The Houston/Galveston SSCA Cruisers' Luncheon will be held at Joe Lee's Seafood Kitchen at 1108 Marina Bay Drive in Clear Lake Shores on the 3rd Saturday of each month at 1230 Hrs."

Hope to see you at both !!

Forrest
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Room under table.

Post by eb1smith »

There is room under the table in the CD-31. Now is it big enough for batteries, I do not know, yet. One of my project is to cut an opening in that location to utilize the extra space for storage. I too would like to put a couple of T-105's down there if possible.

To answer a couple of issues.

1.) Reduction of bilge capacity. Two T-105 is equivalent to 12 gallons of capacity, the bilge in the 31 huge so this is not a big concern. Also you should have a high water alarm so that water does not get to that level.

2.) Batteries work even under water. Even so I have a starting battery that is up high in a locker.

3.) Hydrogen Gas rises and doesn't sink so gas build up is not a concern. But that being said I am still going to making sure the batteries are vented. I am thinking of running a vent tube up the side of the hull.

Now I just have to get the time to do the project. I will post pictures when this is done.

Cheers,

E Smith
s/v Larissa
Kevin Kaldenbach

Cathy, I found a post where you put hatches in the floor of your CD32 and it was nice to see all of the room under there. My questions now is do I need to remove the entire floor to cut the holes or can I do it with the floor installed? I am not a carpenter so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us