CD 30 Ketch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GLutzow

CD 30 Ketch

Post by GLutzow »

God help me,,, I'm looking at another big ship! I considering a CD30 Ketch and want to know if there any issues with the model and I also have concerns about the 10HP Yanmar diesel that is standard. Is this engine of sufficient horse power for this craft? I have been known to be out and about when the weather gets dicey and have been hove-to in nasty weather. An under powered ship is not what I need in those situations. Any input would be appreciated.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Andy Denmark

Here's one

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Greg,

My neighbor, Ron Turner, has Luvit for sale. Ron is off cruising in an R/V and I'm not sure he is checking this site. Luvit has been repowered with a Westerbeke 2-cyl (h.p. unknown to me) and that seems to be sufficient power.

PM me for details. I will be leaving for Florida Saturday morning (for two weeks) so get in touch before that if you're interested.

Andy
________
Iolite Review
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Bob B

Yanmar

Post by Bob B »

As to the 10hp Yanmar for a CD30, we had a 1GM (8hp version) on a 27 and it was not enough to drive it against the wind and into port when the weather turned foul. On our CD 25D it was perfect.

B. Bundy
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

We have a CD30K and love her. We have owned Arianna for a little over 2 years and have sailed her in a lot of conditions, many times when other boat were heading for home we were out sailing in safety and comfort. As far as the engine being under powered, we have the 12HP Volvo MD7A with V-drive and one or two times we wished we had a little more power but for most conditions we feel like it has been just fine. We went from Dog River on Mobile Bay to Pensacola for the Blue Angels home coming air show in November and motored half way there and all the way home due to no wind or wind on the nose in the ICW and only used about 4-5 gallons of fuel round trip. We can motor at 5-5.5 kts easily in calm seas with a clean bottom and prop.
You will find many people who will chime in with their two cents worth on the ketch for a 30 foot boat but if you find anyone who has spent a lot of time on a CD30K I bet my last dollar they love the rig. The boat is surprisingly fast and rides great. She is not a light air boat and will not snap through a tack like a fin keel boat, but she is beautiful and a great and safe cruising boat.
Anna and I will be leaving after the hurricane season to sail to Mexico and central America and we feel like we could not have a better boat in this size range.
If you have any more questions about the CD30K just drop us a line.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
The Patriot

Re: CD 30 Ketch

Post by The Patriot »

GLutzow wrote: ... I also have concerns about the 10HP Yanmar diesel that is standard ...

You might want to check me on this but I don't believe that a 10 HP anything was ever standard on these models. Most 28's and 30's initially used the either the MD2 (25 HP) or the MD7A (13 HP), although the Yanmar YSB-12 (12 HP) was sometimes installed in the 30k. I am far from expert on these models (aside from the 28), and I am certain CD30 owners will no doubt have more definitive details.
Last edited by The Patriot on Feb 7th, '10, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Boyd

Bob B? Are you a relative?

Post by Boyd »

Dont want to hyjack this converstation but I did notice your last name is Bundy. There are so few of us I am compelled to ask. I do know my relatives came from the Carolinas in the 1700's. Send me a PM if you are interested in discussing this further.

Boyd Bundy
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Joe Mac Phee

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

kerrydeare wrote:
GLutzow wrote: ... I also have concerns about the 10HP Yanmar diesel that is standard ...
You might want to check me on this but I don't believe that a 10 HP anything was ever standard on these models. Most initially used the MD7A 13 HP, and later switched to various, including a larger Universal. CD30 owners will no doubt have the details.
My 1977 Cape Dory 30 ketch has a Yanmar YSB-12 engine that I believe is original to the boat. This engine in sometimes described as 10 HP and also as 12 HP (it may be related to whether you are buying or selling).

I have not encountered a situation where the engine could not move the boat. On a calm day it will reach hull speed at one-half throttle (which probably means it is under propped). It has no tach so it is speculation as to what is the actual RPM. I am sure there are conditions where the engine is not up to the task, but the same thing can be said of the boat and crew.

Good luck in your quest

Joe Mac Phee
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Mac Phee wrote: I am sure there are conditions where the engine is not up to the task, but the same thing can be said of the boat and crew.
Well said, Joe.

In my 28, I've encountered conditions where I could make little forward progress. Invariably though, it's been going into head seas where each standing wave would stall the boat. I doubt that a few more horses would push 9000 lbs uphill. Chances are whatever motor you have (within a reasonable range), if you can't sail to windward you won't be able to motor there, either.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I'll agree with Mr. McPhee that when originally introduced the CD30 came with the YSB12. The Volvo was introduced after the first few years.
While extremely reliable and easy on fuel it is under powered against any kind of current or headwind. It's also noisy and vibrates like hell.
I could say it's adequate under good conditions.
I re-powered, and although it wasn't cheap, it was the best improvement I've made.
________
LUCA BALDISSERI
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
Olli Wendelin
CD30 Ketch
Charleston, SC

Post by Olli Wendelin »

My 1977 CD30 Ketch Blue Moon has the Yanmar YSB12. It was original equipment and is rated at 10 HP. I have had her since 1997. It has a 3 bladed prop, and the power is reasonable. A few times I have had to tack under power when heading into very steep waves. Also I am docked just north of Elliot Cut, the fastest current on the ICW. Going against the tide there requires a lot of patience.

That said, access to the engine is poor because of the V-drive. All access is designed on the front of the engine, which is facing away from you because of the V-drive.

Later models kept increasing the HP and got rid of the V-drive.
Bob B

Elliot's cut

Post by Bob B »

I've seen your boat as I've traveled the waterway. Isn't it between the bridge and the fire station. I worked barge tugs in the area. Elliot's cut is really treacherous sometimes. Running it without adequate power can be an exciting ride.
Olli Wendelin
CD30 Ketch
Charleston, SC

Re: Elliot's cut

Post by Olli Wendelin »

Bob B wrote:I've seen your boat as I've traveled the waterway. Isn't it between the bridge and the fire station. I worked barge tugs in the area. Elliot's cut is really treacherous sometimes. Running it without adequate power can be an exciting ride.
Yes, thats my boat. Elliot Cut is treacherous at all times except slack tide. I've been through at 12 knot running with the tide and almost standing still going against the tide.
kmulligan

10 hp on a CD30

Post by kmulligan »

I replaced my CD 28'sa 10 hp Volvo with a Yanmar 18 hp and have ample power 98% of the time. One notable time I did not was near your location, motoring two miles out of Longboat Key Moorings directly into 20 knots before I could get to the ICW and hoist a reefed main. The boat speed barely reached two knots as the Yanmar struggled to push into the wind. If I could have squeezed the next larger Yanmar (28 hp) into the small engine compartment I would have.
I would rethink that purchase or plan on a repower.
Kevin Mulligan
CD 28 "Skibbereen"
Crystal River, Fl.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

That was my concern. The Yanmar seemed to be too small for the weight of the CD30K. Thanks for the input. Does anyone have an idea of the cost to repower the CD30K with an 18 horse engine?
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

My re-power : Volvo d1-20, 19 hp. new ss shaft, drip less shaft seal, and a new Michigan 3 blade prop. came in at under 9k 3 years ago ......but I did the work myself. I would guess, to have a pro do it, add 3 - 5k , perhaps more.
________
Ross Brawn
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.