16-year-old sailing around world plans unassisted nonstop

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MarkN
On the Chesapeake

Kids!

Post by MarkN »

On a similar note Jessica Watson, another 16 year old, is about 3 months ahead of her. She left Australia back in October in a S&S 34 and first night out, in the dark, she ran into a cargo ship and escaped with minor damage; made repairs and set out again. She just rounded cape horn and came through a couple of knock-downs. Her blog makes for interesting reading.
http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/pink-lady
Mark
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Neil Gordon wrote:Where's the age below which the CG declares a voyage manifestly unsafe?
Well, 13 is too young, according to judges in the Netherlands: BBC News coverage

I think that, if it was my daughter, I'd be inclined to say that if she got her RYA Yachmaster - Ocean, that would be a significant argument in her favour.

But I'd also want to have an honest conversation about why anyone, at any age, would want to participate in such a media circus. When it comes down to pounding around the world in an Open 40, to try and get home before your birthday disqualifies you, my feeling is that these 'young circumnavigations' have been reduced to attention-seeking stunts.

This is why, I believe, the Guiness Book of Records has decided that they won't recognize any more "records" in this category.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

my feeling is that these 'young circumnavigations' have been reduced to attention-seeking stunts.
Conducted by and for the parents, not the child. Just my not very humble opinion.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

I wish her a wonderful sail. I wish I was that goal oriented at her age.
I also wish the citizens of this world would spend more time worrying about themselves, and less time attempting to impose their values, and judgments on others.

Frank
Dick Barthel

tempting fate?

Post by Dick Barthel »

drysuit2 wrote:I wish her a wonderful sail. I wish I was that goal oriented at her age.
I also wish the citizens of this world would spend more time worrying about themselves, and less time attempting to impose their values, and judgments on others.

Frank
Frank, in fairness isn't this board about sharing opinions?

I would like to know how much solo offshore experience this young women already has. If little, her venture would seem a tad reckless, especially in such a high performance boat. I hope she makes it though and gets to be your age.

When I read about Tonya Albei years ago I thought her father was crazy and I still do. She didn't even know how to navigate when she left NY. She was at least in a rugged offshore boat but still did capsize more than once. She had minimal sailing experience before departing. That is tempting fate. That it turned out well does not alter that fact.

But hey, its a free country and she's not my daughter.

Dick
mgphl52

The sad part...

Post by mgphl52 »

What truly depresses me is that these kids are doing it for "records" and "fame" instead of the love of sailing. It reminds of a long time friend who bought a nice style cruiser/racer after one of those "h-words" here. He spent a lot to refit her and make a great cruiser that was also fairly fast. Then he got smitten with racing. This caused him to redo a lot of what he had, remove many of the great cruising features and spend ridicules amounts on racing sails, spinnakers, and crew expenses. During all of this, he lost his love of sailing and rarely went out unless it was for a race. Several years ago, I found myself somewhat close to the same disease... Fortunately, my wife helped me recover quickly and we did not spend a fortune (never had it!) but we did nearly lose some dear friends of ours purely by wanting to "win" too much.

When Robin Graham made his "epic" (in my mind) voyage, it seemed to me that he did it for the love of sailing and nothing else. And that is why I sail, every chance I get.

Racing is a great sport and we get many wonderful improvements from it, but it also depresses me to see things like what the America's Cup has become. I greatly miss the boats from the early 70s & 80s and doubt that I'll pay much attention to the Cup this time around.

I do wish all of the "kids" a safe passage and a healthy return.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Vigor

Re: The sad part...

Post by John Vigor »

mgphl52 wrote:What truly depresses me is that these kids are doing it for "records" and "fame" instead of the love of sailing.
-michael
If we must have records for the youngest person, how about one for the youngest person to circumnavigate non-stop and unassisted in a wooden boat they built themselves. (Note to grammar police: I know, I know, and I don't care.)

For many years I raced Mirror Class dinghies, the biggest one-design wooden class in the world, I believe, with over 70,000 built. Each one was built from a pywood kit by people who loved sailing in small boats, and who also loved to compare notes about the disasters they experienced while building.

When, after many years, the copyright holder introduced ready-made fiberglass Mirrors, the class died. There are still thousands of the wooden ones cruising and racing today, but the class is shrinking rapidly.

Michael is right. Records should be created for the love of sailing, not the love of publicity.

John V.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Re: tempting fate?

Post by drysuit2 »

Frank[/quote]

Frank, in fairness isn't this board about sharing opinions?
Dick[/quote]

Dick,
I am in total agreement with you about this. The sharing of each others knowledge, experience, and opinions is one of the many things I love about this board.

It’s when those opinions become treated as fact: someone decides that there should be a rule: that I begin to have problems.

Now as anyone who has ever meet me, or read my blog knows…I’m pretty active with Surfrider. For me it’s all about access; it’s about freedom. I spend a lot of time in, or on the water. Year round. And so I encounter well meaning public officials all the time. And they are very good at saying NO.

For example NYS just passed a law that says for boats 21’ or smaller, that you must wear a PFD between 11/1 and 5/1. And here’s why… From an Associated Press Article quoting Dan Keefe, NYS Department of Parks, Recreation & etc, spokesman...
In 2007- of 21 drowning deaths 6 were...in the colder seasons"
In 2008- of 21 drowning deaths 4 were...in the colder seasons"
ARE you kidding me? More people died in car accidents in the time it took me to write that last paragraph.

Unfortunately Long Island doesn’t really get a lot of decent wind or waves very often… but when we do, the pleasure police will be out in full force. They always are.
SO…
Opinions = good.
Policy = Bad
Dick Barthel

bad opinions = bad policy

Post by Dick Barthel »

Frank,

Good point. In fact I just read that 120 Americans die every single day on our highways. So text away while driving 70 while also shaving, talking and chewing gum, just make sure to wear your PFD between 11/1-5/1 so you can be safe!

Dick
John Vigor

Having problems

Post by John Vigor »

I see she's having problems already and having to stop for assistance in Cabo St. Lucas, Mexico. Apparently she can't generate enough power for all her needs. So she's planning to re-start from Cabo her attempt to be the youngest to sail solo and non-stop around the world.

John V.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

drysuit2 wrote:In 2007- of 21 drowning deaths 6 were...in the colder seasons" In 2008- of 21 drowning deaths 4 were...in the colder seasons"
If boaters would stay sober and keep their flies up, they wouldn't fall overboard and drown, no matter what season it is.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

[quote="drysuit2"

For example NYS just passed a law that says for boats 21’ or smaller, that you must wear a PFD between 11/1 and 5/1. And here’s why… From an Associated Press Article quoting Dan Keefe, NYS Department of Parks, Recreation & etc, spokesman...
In 2007- of 21 drowning deaths 6 were...in the colder seasons"
In 2008- of 21 drowning deaths 4 were...in the colder seasons"
ARE you kidding me? More people died in car accidents in the time it took me to write that last paragraph.

Policy = Bad[/quote]

I wonder how many of these are canoe and kayak related.

I have done a good bit of white water kayaking and most of the best flows are in the winter or early spring months. An experienced WW kayaker would not think of paddling without a PFD, helmet and a reliable buddy with safety gear.

There have been many times when a river has been at dangerous levels with the water up into the trees that some yahoos show up in jeans and tee shirts. They usually have inappropriate boats, no helmets, PFDs and absolutely no idea of what they are getting into. We will usually try to inform them as to some of the dangers they are about to face. Most will make some sense of what they are told. Some require rescue a very short time after put in. Others make it out of sight and they are on their own.

If a boater is determined to have some skills and good sense he will often be invited to join a group for safety. If they are clueless I do not want the responsibility of having to deal with them.

There are lots of people who don't have the slightest idea of what they are doing when they get onto the water. That could be a lake river or the ocean. These are the people who are driving these regulations.

What we really need is a regulation that restricts people who are just plain stupid or clueless. Either that or just let Darwin's theory take it's course.

On a larger scale, I don't want to be responsible for rescuing people who are doing things that are on the edge. Who foots the bill when a stunt goes bad? I am not only talking about financial but also the risk to rescuers.

I believe in personal freedom with personal responsibility, Steve.
Ralph H
'62 Sea Sprite 23 "Lady J"

Question re stop in Mexico

Post by Ralph H »

The Ventura County Star website reported 1/31/10:

"On her blog, Abby Sunderland wrote Saturday she’s headed for Cabo San Lucas to add a “new battery or twoâ€
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

policy - bad

Post by Alan Holman »

There is no denying the fact some people aren't very smart and others are big risk takers. I don't see anything wrong with requiring people to wear PFDs if they don't have the wit to do so without laws. Life on the water in cold weather has generally been considered more dangerous than in warm. People who go overboard in cold water have less chance of survival than in warm water. Searches at sea tend to be conducted until someone is found or until it is determined they likely won't be found alive which is usually a considerably longer time frame. Searches are usually conducted at public expenses through a variety of federal, state and municipal agencies. it seems to me if the wearing of a PFD leads to shorter searches, therefore less expense, (never mind enhancing the chance of survival) then it is good public policy to require PFDs to be worn. As to the 120 people a day killed in car accidents, until there are as many millions of boats in the water as there are cars on the road this comparison makes no sense.
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
DaveCD28

WHat it means...

Post by DaveCD28 »

[quote]
The Ventura County Star website reported 1/31/10:

"On her blog, Abby Sunderland wrote Saturday she’s headed for Cabo San Lucas to add a “new battery or twoâ€