Deck Recoring on Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Hello all,
I am sure this has been addressed before and perhaps someone can refer me to the board archives if there is one to answer some of my questions?
My hull #161 is a 1971 boat. The coring is shot and the cuddy cabin is being pushed downward by the rig tension. My boat has heavy fibreglass knees which extend athwartships but end about 1-1/2 inches short of the vertical side of the cuddy cabin. This to me was a manufacturing flaw. As the cabin is depressed the deck near the end of the knees bulges upward. The glass of the underside skin inside the cabin is beginning to crack.
My first major question is do I remove the outer skin and work from the outside or do I remove the under side skin and work from below? I plan to recore at least from just forward of the fore deck cleat aft to just behind the cuddy ports. I also plan to do this work while she is in the water as I have no trailer or place to set her on the hard.
Owners who have done this repair before please respond. I really do not wish to reinvent the wheel here and hope to learn from your experience.
P.S. I sailed last season in Florida with a 4x4 supported by 2x4's framed against the seat frames. Not ideal but allowed me to teach a youngester in the neighbor how to sail and race.
Michael #161 :)
matarcadia

Re: Deck Recoring on Weekender

Post by matarcadia »

matarcadia wrote:Hello all,
I am sure this has been addressed before and perhaps someone can refer me to the board archives if there is one to answer some of my questions?
My hull #161 is a 1971 boat. The coring is shot and the cuddy cabin is being pushed downward by the rig tension. My boat has heavy fibreglass knees which extend athwartships but end about 1-1/2 inches short of the vertical side of the cuddy cabin. This to me was a manufacturing flaw. As the cabin is depressed the deck near the end of the knees bulges upward. The glass of the underside skin inside the cabin is beginning to crack.
My first major question is do I remove the outer skin and work from the outside or do I remove the under side skin and work from below? I plan to recore at least from just forward of the fore deck cleat aft to just behind the cuddy ports. I also plan to do this work while she is in the water as I have no trailer or place to set her on the hard.
Owners who have done this repair before please respond. I really do not wish to reinvent the wheel here and hope to learn from your experience.
P.S. I sailed last season in Florida with a 4x4 supported by 2x4's framed against the seat frames. Not ideal but allowed me to teach a youngester in the neighbor how to sail and race.
I have had one private response to this message. Are there any others out there with knowledge to share? Thank you.
Michael #161
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Definitely start from the top on a repair this size. Gravity is a fact and it will not work in your favor if you attempt this from the underside. This job will be bad enough if you are working out in the open. Cutting away a layer of glass and trying to scrape out rotted balsa, over your head in the confines of a TY would be nightmarish. Trying to get everything epoxied back up into place from underneath would be worse. From above the epoxy will tend to flatten. You can also use weights to help clamp things down, not so from below. From below it will drip and things will fall on you.

All that said I have one small area of wet core near a stern pulpit I am going to attempt from the cockpit locker this winter. If it was any larger or in a place that showed from the cabin I would not consider this, Steve.
David Hest

Post by David Hest »

FWIW: A recent exchange on the Plastic Classic Forum has info on this topic.

http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... f=4&t=4763
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Deck Recoring on Weekender

Post by Oswego John »

matarcadia wrote:Hello all,
Hi Michael,

You have a few problems, but nothing that can't be remedied. I'll give you some viewpoints according to what I read from your post.

A lot of the type of problems you describe started after the boat builders changed over from keel-stepped masts to the roof mounted tabernacles. This change, in itself, wasn't too drastic if every boat qwner used common sense. But let's face it, homo sapiens is, at best, normal, far from perfect. The newer boat builders didn't allow much margin for error.

My guess is that the fiberglass arch is an add-on that was installed by the previous owner, trying to alleviate the apparent problem that was developing. The correct arch and buttresses weren't used.

Although inconvenient to some, I think that the use of a compression post placed under the tabernacle is much more effective than an improperly installed arch.

If I was repairing the cuddy roof, I would probably jack the roof upward in very small increments until it was about in its normal shape. Maybe there is another Ty WE in your area to measure from.
Lay a 2"x4" piece of straight lumber across the roof and measure the required distance from the 2"x4" to the deck. Remember, as the roof contour goes up, the shrouds and stays will get sloppy. and have to be readjusted.
My first major question is do I remove the outer skin and work from the outside or do I remove the under side skin and work from below? I plan to recore at least from just forward of the fore deck cleat aft to just behind the cuddy ports.

Mike, under normal conditions (are any conditions normal when doing boat work?) when doing recoring work, I like to open up the top skin and work from above. Gravity keeps things from getting too messy. Besides, it is pretty tight quarters working inside of a cuddy cabin, all hunched up.

When cutting the skin to get at the core, remember that you most likely have an inch or better of solid fiberglass deck from the toerail inward at the deck/hull joint.

Break the total job up into many smaller projects and you will keep from getting overawed and discouraged. You will amaze yourself at how proficient you will get as you proceed along. Good luck

Owners who have done this repair before please respond.

Good luck. Don't forget to keep your hull bottom clean.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Thank you all who have responded. It appears as if all are using Epoxies to install the new coring material. Has anyone just used polyester resin to do this task? After all polyester was the original resin used for fabrication in the cored as well as uncored areas.
Michael #161
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Epoxy Or Polyester?

Post by Oswego John »

Mike, I generally mostly use poly.

Lets see if I remember correctly and get this right. Epoxy costs more than poly. Epoxy is stronger than poly.

If you are planning to gel coat, use poly. If you are going to paint. epoxy can be used.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

clasic plastic

Post by drysuit2 »

David Hest wrote:FWIW: A recent exchange on the Plastic Classic Forum has info on this topic.

http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... f=4&t=4763
Thanks for the link