Gone Over to the Dark Side

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Gone Over to the Dark Side

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Well gang, after twenty-six years of Cape Dory ownership of three CD's along the way, I've finally gone over to the dark side. My creaky joints have been defeated by all that lovely Cape Dory teak.
Last Wednesday, I became the official owner of a practically teak free C&C 27, which I won't have to maintain to those exacting Cape Dory standards!
I expect I'll lurk on the Board, and at least keep a virtual connection to the Cape Dory mystique.
Fair Winds,
Tony Jeske
Formerly CD28 #341, CD-25D #141, CD28 #365
Now C&C 27 Mk V #581 FLYING CIRCUS
San Diego
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Tony,

Congrats with your escape teak-duty! Toni & I are doing the same with Tranquil, our recently acquired Allied Princess ketch. We did renew our dues to help fund this wonder message board and I'm sure I'll be lurking around as well. Sometimes it's hard not to kibitz on some of the great discussions/debates/plain ol' BS/etc. found here! :D

-mike & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

No Regrets?

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Tony,

I couldn't resist the word play on the boat name. Seriously, have you found a new home for No Regrets? I'm still happy with your old #341. I'm schedule to be a grandpa in February, but I'm still a happy varnisher!

Best of luck with the new boat!
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Tony, I'm sorry we didn't hook up over the holiday to go out on Mission Bay. I didn't get down there as much as I originally planned. Congratulations on your C&C. Those are nice boats. I'd love to get something bigger then my 25 with standing head room for my family that is growing in size (not numbers). Good luck with it.

Rich
Seajunkie
Duncan
Montreal, QC

C&C 27 is one of my favourite boats

Post by Duncan »

Congratulations on a nice choice. I think the C&C 27 is one of those designs that just "works", great sailer, solid boat, good layout. I almost bought one last time around, when I ended up with the CD27.
Leonard Lookner

gone over to the dark side

Post by Leonard Lookner »

My wife always said, going over to the dark side was a power boat.
But that aside, I remember a quote by Dodge Morgan in "Points East"
when he commented that one should never own a boat that they didn't want to look at over their shoulder rowing away from. I love to look back at our Cape Dory.
John Vigor

Back-to-front head

Post by John Vigor »

Leonard Lookner wrote:My wife always said, going over to the dark side was a power boat.
But that aside, I remember a quote by Dodge Morgan in "Points East"
when he commented that one should never own a boat that they didn't want to look at over their shoulder rowing away from. I love to look back at our Cape Dory.
Leonard, is Dodge Morgan built differently from the rest of us? Is his head on back to front, for example?

I mean, let's take this step by step. If you are rowing away from your boat, are you not facing your boat? Thus, if you look over your shoulder while rowing away from your boat, you are looking AWAY from your Cape Dory, not AT it.

Is there a lesson here about being careful whom you choose to quote? I merely ask.

John V.
The Patriot

Re: Back-to-front head

Post by The Patriot »

John Vigor wrote: ... If you are rowing away from your boat, are you not facing your boat? ...
The way I heard it, the reason small outboards were invented and employed on dinghies was that boats became so ugly (thanks, for example, to IOR designs and other ill-conceptions) that rowing away from them became just too painful.
Leonard Lookner

going over to the dark side

Post by Leonard Lookner »

Well John I may not have quoted him quite the way he said it but you get the idea, and I think what we all might agree on is that Cape Dory's sure are good looking boats.
Bob Brown

Post by Bob Brown »

Hello all. My wife and I are new Cape Dory owner. Catnap currently has the eyebrows, hand rails, dorad boxes, companion way, and one of the cockpit combing boards removed for repair and varnish. The toe rails, bulwark, and pulpit have all been sanded down to 150 grit. At this moment my greatest fear is someday wanting to join you on the dark side. Hoping to get a good ten years in before that happens. [/i]
mike ritenour

sunny side

Post by mike ritenour »

Well, the good thing is you were well trained by your CD's.

Your C&C will be mighty thankful.

Good luck on the new sled.

Rit
M. R. Bober

Is it true?

Post by M. R. Bober »

I have heard that they have cookies over on the dark side. Could it be true?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where there is no dark side, but it is darkest just before dawn), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Good Luck and ... Pl stay among us on the Board

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Truly...abd btw I have enjoyed the sail I purchased from you last year. Had it recut for roller reefing. It sets beautifully. Never had a high cut clew headsail before - I can SEEEEEE.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
tartansailor

Nah; This Is The Dark Side

Post by tartansailor »

First in a planned Fleet of 70 US Navy high speed (like 60 knots!)
ships designed for near shore combat. Note: No bow wave!!

[img]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/t ... age010.jpg[/img]
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Somehow the prospect of a vessel like this making 60 knots with lights off near our shores does not make me feel more secure.

I am very glad I am not near a Navel port where they might be testing these things to determine their full capabilities.

That is a very scary looking vessel, Steve.