Food expiration on board

Share your provisioning secrets and solutions as well as your recipes.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SusanM

Food expiration on board

Post by SusanM »

I've asked around to many sources regarding temperature changes to canned and boxed foods on board. With temperature changes that can swing from 90 degrees in a sealed boat, to 50 degrees, how do I know if that can of beans or corn, or box of mac and cheese are "keeping" okay?
Anyone know?
Thanks,
SusanM
Tod Mills

food

Post by Tod Mills »

I don't think you need to worry about canned goods in that temperature range. If you are in a salt environment, though, rust may become an issue. Cruisers have been known to remove labels, mark the contents (or not :wink: ), and coat the can to help prolong the can life.

Now a box of mac & cheese, though, I'd worry about because of the humidity. I don't think I'd keep those aboard for too long unless sealed (the cheese powder should be okay, but the mac could get soggy) in an airtight bag.

A loaf of bread or similar unsealed item will go moldy very quickly, again, because of the humid environment: mold loves warm and humid.

An aluminum can will not last long at all if exposed to saltwater: it will quickly develp pin holes and spray/drain its contents. I ended up having to drink more than my usual one Guiness one evening because of that very problem! :D
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
SusanM

Food expiration on board

Post by SusanM »

Todd,
Thank you. It all makes sense, but one never knows.
Susan