Powder Coat Spars

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Powder Coat Spars

Post by Daniel Owen »

I've decided to powder coat my spars. The previous owners had added 7 cheek blocks and 5 cleats that I have cleaned up. I fitted a 1" track for reefing blocks and filled the extranious holes with aluminum screws cut and filed smooth. This stiill leaves a telltale patch along with corrosion scars that would show through a smooth powdercoat finish. The powder coater who has my boom now recommended the chromate primer and the hammer tone finish as it hides imperfections better. He uses this process for Navy work from the nearby Bangor Sub base. Any thoughts on grey hammer tone finish on spars? A little unconventional.

Happy New Year Dan O..................
Dan O..............
Ben Thomas

Powder Coat

Post by Ben Thomas »

Dan, I had the two booms and the Binnical Powder coated several years ago on my CD30.
The main boom had a lot of scars/holes from change outs of previous owners.
I went with an off white/light cream color that is a close match to the hull and top sides.
Color is definitely a subjective very personal choice.
Someday I will do the mast the same,
I had in my mind the image of a very classy, clean image of the spar and booms matching the character of our CDs.
The Hammer coat is a great idea, as the smooth does show almost everything, I wish the folks that did mine had suggested that technique.
Is the grey the standard Navy grey? I think that is several shades darker than the original aluminum. Darker colors tend to look like they have more mass or heavy.
I would suggest to take some photos, then print them out and color the spars starting with the Navy grey and go from there.
You can toss the colors that do not work for you.
Whereas if you move ahead with the color he suggested you are stuck with the results, fine if you like but if you don't.....
Best of luck
Ben
Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Post by Daniel Owen »

Ben,

The hammer tone color selected is GR05: http://www.cardinalpaint.com/products/p ... 2&cctid=12

thanks for your thoughts.

Dan O..............
Dan O..............
Ben Thomas

color choice

Post by Ben Thomas »

Very Nice, love to see some shots when its done.
We are planning on coming up to the Wooden Boat Festival next year.
My wife and I love that town!
Ben