Anyone using wireless wind instrumentation?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Anyone using wireless wind instrumentation?

Post by M. R. Bober »

I am slowly considering wireless as an option, but am curious as to accuracy, durability and such.

Any personal experiences?

Thanks,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where sweet tea is not a cute nickname,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I have the tacktick atop my mast for 2 years now and its fabulous. I even left it aboard over the winter last year with NO access the the sun for charging and the instrument sprung to life as soon as I took the shrink wrap off. Its pricey but it works great.

The only caution that I've read about is for boats with very high masts. Some say if your mast is very high there might be trouble getting a signal. I can't remember how high they mentioned but it might be for those big 75 foot sailboats with masts that tickle the clouds.

The mast on my CD27 is 38 feet and I have absolutely no trouble getting a signal from the sender atop the mast to the receiver mounted on the foreward bulkhead of the cockpit.

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Mitchell,

After reading about "sweet tea", it evoked an audible chuckle. I wonder if I should tell the world that we might both be on the same wavelength.

Nah, better to let them figure out whatever they want.

Still smiling, :D
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Shannon Murphy

Post by Shannon Murphy »

Have read lots of reviews on-line for these wireless wind systems from Ticktack and I am afraid the majority are not so good. In all fairness, everyone seems to like the system very much..... until it stops working and then they seem to have lots of trouble with customer support and unrelieable repairs. One estimated about a 3 year lifespan on the unit before you have to start replacing transmitters. Seems like a lot of money to spend for only three reliable seasons.
Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry I don't have any first hand experience for you.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

costs

Post by Phil Shedd »

I still have great trouble with the cost of the intruments. We all can buy a good remote starter for car that does a lot of functions,from a long distance and cost very little. My two/cents worth .

Phil