Hello From NZ

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bruce Ebling

Hello From NZ

Post by Bruce Ebling »

Just a quick note to say hello to all of the Cape Dory gang from Wellington NZ. Beautiful country, beautiful people. Boy would I love to have my 25D to sail around the bay and into the ocean! We are spending three weeks visiting my son and his family. So far it has been pretty exciting; my son worked on the new movie "Avatar" and even got his name in the credits..how cool is that! This picture is in Seatoun looking North towards downtown Wellington.

Bruce Ebling
25D Selah
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Beautiful photo!! Have a GREAT time!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Excellent shot. I lived North of Wellington for about a year and always wanted to sail around there. Be sure to check out the Te Papa museum and of course, walking the docks to view the boats and in the hills to see the views anywhere!

Enjoy a wonderful country and her people.

Paul
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Bruce,

If you get a change take a trip up to Whangarei. You should find many cruisers hiding out from the south Pacific cyclones at this time of the year. Opua and the Bay of Islands is a short drive north of Whangarei and also a cruisers haven.

I liked EnZed a lot. If only it were a bit warmer :roll:

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Riptide
Riptide

Great Shot

Post by Riptide »

I like Paul also lived in NZ. I spent much of my time in Nelson on the South Island. If you get a chance take the ferry across to Picton. You'll get a sense of the water conditions between the islands, some hairy stuff! Have Fun!
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Bruce,

Welcome to the board. I spent about 18 months all told in NZ over a 26 year period from 1977-2004. Most of my time was spent in Christchurch, and the rest traveling around your beautiful country. In fact, I had my sails made in Nelson (Bud Nalder for Doyle Sails) back in 2001.

Sometime around 1988 or so we chartered out of Picton with a friend from Christchurch. A wonderful cruise.

Also sometime in the late 80's we rented a car, drove up to Picton, took the ferry to Wellington. where got another car. My wife, Suzanne, had an eye problem, so we went to a hospital where they diagnosed the problem, provided her with an eye patch and some medicine, charging us about $10 NZ. If that had been here in the US, it would have cost us over $100 US.

We left Wellington late that afternoon and camped along the way to Auckland. On the plateau north of Taihope on our way to Lake Taupo we woke up to about 4" of snow. The snow kept coming down, Highway 1 was closed, and there was a road crew with a rope that helped the few cars on the road heading north down a steep grade.

What a great time....

Bob