Blue Tape

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Tapeless

Post by Carter Brey »

Count me also among the walkers on the wild side.

In addition to rags and acetone, I use a little tool I bought years ago at a hardware store. It's basically a one foot-long section of rigid Venetian window blind with a handle on it. I can jam it into an edge and slide it along as I go.

Carter
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

A Walk On The Wild Side "Association"

Post by Oswego John »

"Fellow workers, unite"

Here is a golden oldie, a blast from the past. As Sir Yogi Berra stated, "Deja vu all over again".

The year is 2005 AD.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... road+knife

What goes around comes around again.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Jim Cornwell

Tapeless Varnishing

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Tapeless sounds smart. Professional painters rarely use masking, relying on a steady hand and proper brushes. For the occasional run, drip or splatter of varnish on gelcoat that the rest of us may experience, what's the best cleanup? What's the best remedy for old and well-cured varnish spills?
jbenagh
Salem, MA

cured varnish removal

Post by jbenagh »

To remove cured varnish, I've used Interlux Interstrip 299E and been pleased with the results. This is the replacement for Pintoff which was recommended by the varnishing guru, Rebecca Whitman.

Jeff
2tocruise
Little Creek, VA
Currently in Annapolis, MD

Interstrip 299E

Post by 2tocruise »

Does anyone know if Interstrip 299E will also remove cured Cetol?

We've had pretty good luck with the green 3M tape; but a PO seemed to be of the non-masking school of thought. All well and good if you clean up the dribbles, but they did not.

Maybe this spring well live a little more dangerous and try some of the non-masked methods...
Twenty years from now, you will be more disapointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
Dick Villamil

blue tape

Post by Dick Villamil »

I only leave any masking type tape on until the paint sets up. For multiple coat applications I use 3-M Fine Line tape - pricey but well worth it. Also - to remove masking tape and residues I use vegetable oil or WD40 - the oils penetrate the tape, soften the glue and it comes off easily with a scraper. Just remember that you ned to degrease thoroughly before painting.
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Blue Tape

Post by Michael Heintz »

A friend of mine who is a pro told me to be sure the area you taping is well waxed, the tape will lift off much easier.

Also you probably know this get the tape with orange core, available at the Depot.

Hate the tape and try to do without at all costs........
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
plumber

Post by plumber »

You may find this a bit funny but for small stuff I've used post-its, works and they remove themselves after a wile.