COUPLE OF SOURCES SOUGHT FOR CD 25 ITEMS

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JONESY

COUPLE OF SOURCES SOUGHT FOR CD 25 ITEMS

Post by JONESY »

FOLKS,

I am in the process of doing a total refit on my CD25 and progressing well. cannot find a source for a couple of items and would like to pick your brains on this. looking to buy new and not used.

1. electrical Panel - cant seem to find a new spec that fits the existing hole (or slightly larger) - with maybe a few extra circuits. thinking of adding a sump pump, water pump for deck shower and small TV for the kids. can anyone point me in the right direction, and assuming others have done this, were there any other improvements you thought to be worthwhile?

2. Forward deck hatch.On my CD I have a very ugly forward deck hatch that is raised and, in my opinion spoils the lines on the boat (1977). The problem is, its and odd size (longer than wider) and has a "curb" up-stand detail around the edge of it. I am looking to cut the curb down and them install a low profile bowman or similar hatch. problem is that due to the odd size nothing seems to fit. From what i can tell, they have to be custom designed and cost an arm and a leg to buy. Anyone have any experience or potential sources for them? have obviously looked on the CD site ad spent a good few days digging around with no luck.

thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Chris,
I looked into replacing the electrical panel in my boat but found it to be pricey and not necessary. What I did was to repaint it and also mounted it on a hinge so it swings open for access. I stayed with fused circuits and was able to add 4 additional circuits by drilling and spacing the holes evenly above and below the existing ones on the panel - looks like OEM. I don't know if this will work on your panel but give it a look.
As for the forward hatch, when I had a CD25 the hatch was cracked slightly when I got it. I did make a new one. Frame was constructed with marine ply, fiberglass cloth, and epoxy. Installed a smoked plexiglass lite and a solar vent. Big improvement ..........the original hatch on the 25 was a weak spot, kinda flimsy and didn't seal all that well.
________
SUZUKI RAIDER 150
Last edited by Ron M. on Mar 8th, '11, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Chris;

I am also in the process of restoring a 1981 CD 25 #794. I have redone the electrical panel, including the addition of a distribution panel. I built the electrical panel from a sheet of aluminum. I am not a machinist or an electrician, but if you have basic skills and tools, it is possible.

You can take a look at the result on my website. Building an electrical panel yourself is an option you may wish to consider.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.