Posting links to CDs for sale

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Posting links to CDs for sale

Post by RIKanaka »

I received the following PM today:
xxxxx wrote:you guys who keep posting links to other Cape Dories for sale outside this board do not do a service to the faithful Cape Dory owners who sell their boats on this board. Consider it inconsiderate of the sellers, when the buyers can do their own searches on the internet if they are so inclined. Thanks.
I confess that I did post a link to a Typhoon Day Sailer listing on craigslist that I thought others might find interesting, a week or two ago. And in the past, I appreciated others posting similar links to CD listings that I found of interest. Having never attempted to sell anything via this board, it never occurred to me that a potential seller might take exception to this practice.

If many of you share the sentiment of the sender of the above PM I will cease posting links to "off-board" sales listings. I thought I was doing others a favor. I did so pretty rarely, anyway.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I've posted links to CD's outside this site. I posted a CD14 that a member got for a great price. He would not have seen it since it was outside the area he was searching ( wish I could have bought it!). I think its a disservice to the people looking for boats to not know whats available. Seems like limiting available information is going in the wrong direction.
JONESY

CAPE DORY FOR SALE

Post by JONESY »

I just read this and frankly am amazed that this would offend someone. I can tell from your post that this has caused you some anxiety, and hence, I am taking the time to offer you my opinion.

I personally like to look out for cds that may be for sale (and the wider the net the better), irrespective of whether one is in the market for buying something. The person writing the complaint assumes that folks only go to the board with the intention of purchasing a boat, when, in fact many folks who read the cd sales board get a lot of enjoyment at simply seeing what is for sale and looking at photos, condition and locations etc. Thats precisely the reason many of the postings have 100s of views and are still for sale!

I would not loose any sleep over this, the whole premise behind blogs and boards and the internet is the free sharing of information.
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Keep those posts coming!

Post by Angela and Tom »

We posted our Typhoon on the buy/sell board so I guess I should be among the offended--but am definitely not! I agree with Jonesy--what makes this board great is the free sharing of information on all things Cape Dory. I love looking at all CDs for sale where ever they are. How can it be bad for any CD to be purchased and loved no matter how it was found? And some of the off-board boats for sale actually make the well-know boats of the member posts look even better.

I for one don't think that squelching info on other CDs for sale is a good thing and I would be somewhat disturbed by it. So Bob, please don't feel bad about it on my account and I look forward to reading all future for-sale posts whatever their source.

BTW--we bought our CD28 because of an ad our friend saw in her local newspaper, only to discover that the same boat had been posted right here two months earlier and we just didn't see it!
tartansailor

View Point

Post by tartansailor »

You felt that you were doing a service to the community
and out of the clear blue you get a hit.
My friend, that is human nature.
It is not your problem.
It is the guy with the selfish interest's problem.
Let's put a positive spin on things; It gives a potential
seller an idea of the competition, so he can price his
boat accordingly.
Looking forward to your next post.
Dick
The Patriot

Re: Posting links to CDs for sale

Post by The Patriot »

RIKanaka wrote: ... If many of you share the sentiment of the sender of the above PM I will cease posting links to "off-board" sales listings ...
According to Section 10230, Paragraph 5468 of the Constitution of the People's Republic of Capedoria, ALL sales of boats and related equipment MUST be managed by the People's Supervisory Board of Marine Commerce, Fiberglass Division, Wind-Powered Department. Violators will be epoxied and feathered.
barfwinkle

As long as

Post by barfwinkle »

Hi Rikanaka

I agree that is manor of posting CDs from the "wider web" that might not otherwise be spotted is a grand idea. So by all means keep it up.

My only caveat is that it should be posted to the correct page (and I am not saying or implying that it wasnt. I didnt see your post.) which is the For Sale Page. Otherwise, post away is what I say.

Fair winds and Happy Holidays
Bill Member #250.
Bob Ohler

RI Kananka

Post by Bob Ohler »

I would not be offended by the PM. The person who sent it to you is probably not a member of the CDSOA anyway.

Fair winds!

Bob O.

CD30
Aloha Spirit
CDSOA Member #188
Last edited by Bob Ohler on Dec 2nd, '09, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I share the views of all except possibly "Exalted Grand Puba Perretta". I have looked high and low for Paragraph 5468 and cannot find it. My copy of the Constitution of the People's Republic of Capedoria ends at Paragraph 5423. :D

RIKanaka, I am not sure I understand why this person is upset with you.

I own a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender, S/V Tadpole. I have acquired the "6 footitis" disease and am looking for a Cape Dory 25D. When I was searching for my first Cape Dory I daily checked this board first and then checked various "sailboats for sale" websites. Several times someone who knew I was looking would give me a website address for a CD for sale. It was not listed on this board (I do not know why) and because I am "computer challenged" I could not find it during my regular GOOGLE searches. I was grateful for this assistance.

I am now looking for a CD 25D. I am doing the same things I did before. I have found 2-3 CD 25Ds for sale that were not (are not) listed on this board. Again, I do not know why they are not listed on this board, but the fact is they are not listed. I have also had several friends on this board send me a PM telling me of a CD 25D for sale with the website link/address. I have been, and remain, very grateful for this help.

I am assuming there must be an unfortunate misunderstanding at the root of this. If I were selling a Cape Dory sailboat I would certainly list it here first - it's free and folks who look at this board presumably already know about the quality of Cape Dory sailboats. However, I would also list on several other websites because not everyone out there knows about Cape Dory or this board.

Why someone who owns a Cape Dory would not list it on this board is a question I cannot answer. However, that is their choice. When a poster on this board finds such a CD for sale it is my judgment, for whatever little it may be worth, that a CD poster is doing CDSOA members (and the seller - albeit unknown to the seller) a service by alerting us to the CD for sale on another website address.

This weekend I will carefully read, annotate, underline, etc. my copy of the Constitution of the People's Republic of Capedoria to see if possibly I skipped over an important paragraph or subparagraph that addresses this issue. :D
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Keep posting the items for sale. I always resent anyone trying to control information. Let it all out there and let the chips fall where they may. It could be considered inconsiderate to potential buyers who are members looking to move up or move down or buy a CD dinghy. Why favor selling members (or posters who might not be members) over buying members? A lot of posts on the sell/buy board are form people who have not previously posted much or at all.

If I'm missing something here I'd like to hear from the mystery PMer's point of view.

Joe
Last edited by Joe CD MS 300 on Dec 2nd, '09, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
RichS
Marshfield, MA,
Member #1213

Posting All CDs OR SALE

Post by RichS »

I am currently looking for a CD as a "Project". I rely on this site to give me information not not only any CD for sale but also the condition of that boat. The folks on this site know what they are talking about and are trusted at least by me and I think many of you to be trying to help others with the same interests. Please keep sharing all boats for sale, so that we who want to be back on the water in a CD are happy again!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."

-William Arthur Ward
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I fully concur with the "post away" group! I find that searching craigslist can be very frustrating. I also think that some people may feel that they shouldn't (or shouldn't have to) post here when they engage a broker for their sale. And, as sad and amazing as it may seem, I am quite sure there are many CD owners that just don't know about this wealth of knowledge.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

I agree that your posts are appropriate and I have made a few like that myself. In particular, the regional Craigslists often have good deals or rare models which are not listed on this board and which would not normally come to the attention of people in other regions. If I was a buyer, I definitely would want to know about those boats, and if I was a seller I would not mind the competition.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Thanks...

Post by RIKanaka »

...for the replies, everyone. When I posted this thread I suspected that I was querying the choir and that the PM probably expressed a (very small) minority opinion. As Mark and other have stated, the more information one has in looking for a boat to buy, the better, if one is looking to buy, looking to admire, looking just to look. And I have also benefited from what others have posted here, having recently bought a CD26 that someone linked here to the original listing on craigslist.

I did post the link (to a Day Sailer in NJ) in the appropriate Buy/Sell section, initially:
http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=25860
If anyone is interested, I think the listing is still active.

I guess I was surprised, more than anything else, that someone would take issue with what I did, particularly since it was 1st time I had done so in probably 2 years. Even more baffling is that the PM'er is, apparently, located in the Southern US (according to the CDSOA profile). So the concern about a boat in Joisey over 1300 miles away is a bit of a mystery.

I have not lost any sleep over this, but thanks for the concern. In my line of work not only are there more important things to lose sleep over, but also the opportunity to sleep is often at a premium, so I have no problems in that regard.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
mbtaylor
Cataumet, MA

Boats for sale

Post by mbtaylor »

I just so happen to have a really sweet Typhoon that needs a good home because we're moving up to a bigger boat.
She's listed here on the Buy/Sell CD Boats and Gear Pages.

Here's hoping that someone reading this thread is interested!