Which Outboard for Typhoon Senior

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dave Fahl
Northern Exposure
Grand Isle, Vermont

Which Outboard for Typhoon Senior

Post by Dave Fahl »

I've just got back into sailing after a seven year break. My last boat was a Cape Dory 30 #202. Of all the boats that I have owned it was by far my favorite. The times just dictated that it had to go. My wife and I stumbled across a Typhoon Senior on Craigslist about forty miles from our home and it was love at first sight. We are getting ready to retire and have lakefront property so it was a match made in heaven. My one question to any Senior owners out there is what are you using for an outboard. Mine came with a 94 Suzuki 2 stroke 9.9. It's so tight in the lazarette that you can't move it and you can't lock the cowl. It just sits on the engine so there is a lot of extra noise. I almost ordered a Tohatsu 6hp Sail Pro from Porta-Bote for $1395 but looking at someone elses and checking the specs makes me think that it won't fit either. I've read other postings here about a smaller engine being sufficient. I would like to hear what others have done. I don't know if a Senior has the same lazarette as a Cape Dory 22. Thanks for any info that's sent my way. Dave Fahl
Dave Fahl
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

...bump....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Anybody have any ideas?
Jim Buck

RE: Motor for a Senior

Post by Jim Buck »

Dave,

I'm sorry I can't help you directly as my 22 is inboard but perhaps if you took some critical measurements of your well maybe another CDSOA member with a 25 can compare. Just a thought, but I think some of the old British Seagulls had vertically-adjustable mounts. I know some don't like the Seagull but mine never failed me. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Jim
Last edited by Jim Buck on Nov 14th, '09, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

I just Googled "Cape Dory 22" and came up with several 22s for sale that included engine specs. You might try that, if you haven't already.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Dave:

I preface my comments and suggestions with the following disclaimer:

I do not own a CD Ty Senior nor a CD 22. I own a Ty Weekender.

That said, in my long and sometimes tortured search for the Cape Dory of my dreams, I looked at several CD 22s and a few CD 25s. I do not recall ever inspecting a CD Ty Senior.

The CD 22 has its auxiliary O/B attached to the transom with a bracket - very different from the configuration on a Ty Senior. Most CD 22s I looked at had 9.9 hp O/Bs or, rarely, something less.

The CD 25 has a configuration similar to the Ty Senior - that is, an aft lazarette with a O/B motor well.

There were very few Ty Seniors mfg. by Cape Dory - only about 57. My suggestion would be to search the CDSOA board archives for discussions about O/Bs for CD 25s. There were about 850 of these classics mfg. by Cape Dory. I seem to recall several lengthy threads about the best, most accessible O/Bs for the aft lazarette of a CD 25. It would be my guess, only a guess, that an O/B that would fit comfortably in a CD 25 lazarette would probably also fit comfortably in a Ty Senior.

Assuming you are on a lake and do not have strong currents or tides to contend with, a 5-6 hp O/B should be adequate.

All of the above having been said, please remember I am a true "Tadpole Sailor" and have little experience or knowledge in the subject area. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

My observation has been that most folks (grossly?) over power both Typhoons and CD25s. My first Ty, on the St. Johns River with both current and tides, had a very small British Seagull which was always enough for what I needed. Both of the CD25s I have owned came with 9.9hp outboards. The first, I didn't own long enough to change (job change & move :oops: ). On Brigitta, I sold the old 9.9 and replaced it with a 6hp 4-stroke Nissan that never failed me. It also had enough room in the well to move some and assist with backing. However, I must admit that the motor spent most of the time snuggled on the cabin sole as I sailed in and out of the slip far more than I motored.

I, too, have never owned a Ty Sr or CD22, but from the specs, I think a 4hp (with the right prop) should be more than adequate unless you have extreme tides or currents. You can probably find one that has both attached and external fuel tank options.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
tmoroney75

typhoon senior motor

Post by tmoroney75 »

Dave, I own a Ty Senior and I've got a Nissan 6hp long shaft w/ 3 gal fuel tank in the motor well. There is plenty of space to rotate the motor when operating in tight quarters such as backing in/out of a slip. I sail in areas of 1-2 kts current and have no problems making way. You might even get away with a 4-5hp in a lake and you'd save $$ for other boat parts.

Congrats on the Ty Senior, It's a great boat - fun to sail and will get you home safe always. Let me know if you want to see any pictures to help in your decision.

Regards,
Tom
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

What a great find!

Post by trapper »

I saw a Ty Sr. in St. Augustine a while back and what a beautiful little boat. Congrats! I currently sail a 25D but my prior boat was a CD22 and I sail with my brother a lot on his Choate 27 (my former boat) and it has an outboard.

I sailed my CD22 in Charleston and the current was wicked. I used a Tohatsu 9.8 electric start long shaft 2 stroke. Some members of the board thought I was over powered but I could sail on any tide--not all CDs can do that.

It weighed 59 pounds and worked great. Even though it was a 2 stroke, it was very quiet. The CD22 does not have a lazarette so the motor hangs off the stern.

When I purchased my CD22 it had a honda 8 hp 4 stroke and it was VERY large and heavy. A beautiful motor, but not for the stern of my beautiful little boat- so I replaced it with the Tohatsu 2 stroke 9.8. When I sold the boat, the new owners preferred the honda (go figure). The 9.8 was put to use on the Choate 27 which is a race boat.

The Choate is on the lake so there are no currents to worry about. Thus, we needed the smallest engine that would do the job. She now has a 3.5 nissan 2 stroke, long shaft. They are very hard to find as racers really like them. I found ours in NH a 2005 barely used.

You probably do not need more than the 3.5 for your boat on a lake. Here are some of the problems we had (and you have). First, you can't get a new 2 strokes any longer. 4 strokes are much larger and much heavier--not good for race boats or lazarettes (although better for the environment).

The 3.5 does not have a reverse. I assume you need reverse instead of turning the entire engine around in the lazarette. So once you get up to the 6 or so hp needed for gears, the weight and size is not much smaller than the 9.8. (2 stroke Tohatsu or Nissan maybe 10 lbs). The benefits of the 9.8 are that you can have remote gears and throttle and electric start. IMHO, pushing a button or turning a key is much easier than pull start!

Best of luck with that lovely little boat!
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Dave...I have a cd 22(not a ty sr) on an inland lake...I dont know what your requirements are but I mostly sail off and to my mooring ball and dont even have a motor on my boat...what I had was a minnkota electric trolling motor but found this not enough to go against any wind....The boat came with an older 6hp johnson but it weighed 60 pounds...I removed the mount off the back of the boat and installed a typhoon removeable mount...Theres a picture of the backend of my boat in the sandbox area...I bought a 1975 4hp evinrude two stroke thats small and weighs only 38 pounds and has a long shaft...it powers the boat just find but for reverse you have to spin the motor around...no internal tank either...this works great for me on my inland lake as I dont have to deal with tides and big water...figure out your real needs before you buy...good luck...craig....my 4hp cost me 250 used
Dulcinea
"Pandora"
Norfolk, Virginia

TySr engine

Post by Dulcinea »

I have a Senior and use a 9.9 2001 2-stroke Mercury. A bit snug but works fine. Single complaint is that the fumes linger in the cockpit on calm days. Wonderful boat.
Frank
kerlandsen

Former Owner,

Post by kerlandsen »

But I am having dinner tonight with the current owner so I will have her chime in.

I must preface, the current owner was first in class at the Boston Harbor Island Regatta, just ask her about it, she is pretty proud of it.

Seriously, the old boat was outfitted with a new engine this past summer. Tohatsu long shaft 6hp. Run quietly, fits in the cover, even runs with the cover down, which is nice. They did not opt for the battery charging system, since it did not provide electric starting. It pushes the boat just fine. I think the price tag was like $1600 or so.

The old engine is, well, old. Mercury Sailpower 800cc, or just like the 9.9. It had electric start. Prop pitch allowed for too high rpms. My brother has rebuilt the lower unit a few times now. Still have it and would consider finding a nice home for it. It is not completely reliable. The issue that lead to the purchase of the new engine was a blockage in the cooling system that seems to have fixed itself.
Dave Fahl
Northern Exposure
Grand Isle, Vermont

Post by Dave Fahl »

I want to thank everyone for their replies to my outboard question. After reading TMORONEY75 and KERLANDSEN, I am going to get the Tohatsu 6 hp Sail Pro. It can be bought from Porti-Bote in California for $1395 with no freight charge and no sales tax. For those of you that don't know about Lake Champlain, it can be a formidable body of water. It's 12 miles at it's widest and about 120 long. I had a Tartan 37 ( lost it in a divorce ) that was tested more than once. My last boat and my all time favorite was a Cape Dory 30 cutter #202. I would take it out in weather that that I would think twice about with the Tartan. It got stolen, recovered, fixed up, and then someone stole my wheel and autopilot. The insurance rates doubled and it was time to sell. Then I met the love of my life. She was someone that I knew from high school back in 1966. We have been married for six great years. In her previous marriage she owned a Saber 38. We finally got up the courage to sail together this summer. We used a friends O'Day 30 that we let have a mooring at our home. It was magic. Our skills complimented each other. We got bit by the sailboat bug. We looked at a Sea Sprite 27 but looking at the engine reminded me of the times that I spent in the cockpit lockers upside down. Then the Senior showed up on Craigslist about 40 miles from home. It was love at first sight for both of us. You know that feeling when the boat just gabs you. So here I sit with new sails and a new engine coming. The sheer delight of seeing just two thru hulls and knowing that I can pull the engine out and take it to someone. So if you see two sixty one year old kids with big smiles and a glass of wine in hand it's probably us. Sorry I got so long winded. My wife says I do that. Thanks for all your help and if any of you make it up to Grand Isle, Vermont by all means look us up. Oh and I just sent in my dues so I'm a paying member. Great website. DF
Dave Fahl
Dave H

congratulations

Post by Dave H »

Hi Dave,
You're going to love your Ty Sr.
When I bought mine, 2005, she had the original Honda 5 hp. A very good motor. When I re-powered, 2008, I bought a Nissan longshaft 6 hp. It has been very good. My only difficulties with it was slow speed running. My mechanic cleaned out the tiny (smaller than a pin) fuel ports. Now it runs very well. He also recommended a fuel additive, a Mercury product, I forget the name. He also recommended running the engine out of fuel if it would be over a week before running again.
Dave H.
hughesw

Very Nice...

Post by hughesw »

To be able to share the experience...

The Senior should be very much the same as the CD-22 in all respects, particularly simplicity. FWIW My 22 is powered by a 2 cycle 5 hp Mercury (Tohatsu) and easily propels the boat at hull speed in most conditions.

Cheers,

Warren H.