CDSOA Annual Meeting Agenda

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

CDSOA Annual Meeting Agenda

Post by barfwinkle »

the 7th, the tentative schedule looks like this:

09:30-10:00 AM -- Registration
10:00 – 11:30 AM -- Captain Fred Bickum of S/V FeNix (Subject #1)
11:30 - 12:30 PM -- Catered Lunch
1:00 – 2:00 PM -- General Membership Meeting
2:15 – 4:00 PM -- Captain Fred Bickum of S/V FeNix (Subject #2)
4:30 - 5:30 PM -- Commodores Reception MacGregor's Bar & Grill???
6:00 - 8:00 PM -- Dinner Cruise Aboard Lantern Queen & Awards Presentations

8:30 - ??? PM -- Commodores Reception MacGregor's Bar & Grill??

The time and location for the Commodore's Reception is still up in the air.

Fair Winds and see ya in HdG
Bill Member #250.
renmihalov

Congratulations on a great meeting

Post by renmihalov »

My hat--the one I got at the meeting--is off to all those who put together a wonderful annual meeting for the Cape Dory Sailboat Owner's Association in Havre de Grace yesterday. It was my first annual meeting, and I wish all the folks I met there were my neighbors. I can't imagine a more civilized lot than Cape Dory owners. Their character and style lives up to the character of their boats and this remarkable web site. It was not easy to find the ingredients for a dark and stormy on a Sunday here, but the sample served at the commodore's reception yesterday afternoon at the Spencer House was an inspiration. Fred Bickum was terrific and I can't wait to follow his progress on his next around the world sail--hopefully as soon as spring 2010. His afternoon talk--maybe three hours--seemed more like 45 minutes. And God bless Barfwinkle who got me and my wife in right at the deadline. We/re in great hands with Leo as commodore and thanks for all the hard work that he and his vice commodores do on our behalf. Although it makes me nervous that I'm the first one to chime in on the meeting, I hope nothing awful came up at the morning session that I missed. How cool was that dinner boat ride on the Susquehana--America's longest non navigable river?
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Troy Scott

the meeting

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

We thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone in Havre de Grace. What a nice group of folks! I felt right at home.

Thanks to everyone who worked and planned to make it all happen. It was a wonderful weekend.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Carl Thunberg

Crab Withdrawal

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Let's see. Crab omelettes for breakfast. Soft-shell crab for lunch. Crab cakes for supper. It's like hitting the tri-fecta :D Then start the cycle again the next day. I'm having crab withdrawal today.

But there was not a single crabby person. The fellowship among fellow Cape Dorians was fabulous. It was a pleasure and indeed an honor to meet many people that I only knew previously through this wonderful electronic community we have.

Thanks so much to the organizers! I will not name names 'cuz I know I'll forget someone. You know who you are.

Edit on Nov. 10, 2009 - From the discussion in response to my comments about crab withdrawal, it's obvious that crab means a lot to people. Wherever they come from, they're great! I also posted a recipe for crab cakes in the Underway Gourmet forum. Here's the link http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=25787
Last edited by Carl Thunberg on Nov 10th, '09, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Andy Denmark

Crab Withdrawal Syndrome

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hey Carl,

I agree with you. CWS is a terrible affliction. Little known fact -- a large percentage of the Chesapeake Bay crabs come from North Carolina. Maryland distributors represent the biggest market for the crab houses here in Oriental. Ask any of them. Chances are good that the crabs you like so much came from down here!

I am also addicted to the native crustaceans but mine come from the three pots at the end of my pier. These generally provide 10 or so big Jimmy crabs a day (I throw the females back). This, the mild winters where hauling out isn't necessary, year 'round sailing, et al, are some of the reasons this is a great place to live.

Crabs -- steamed, soup, chowder, casserole, salad, sandwich, dip, omlelette, sauteed, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, fritters, are all menu items here.

Off to work on a boat ............ not mine but a Snowbird

FWIW,

Andy
________
Bmw Manufacturing Co. Spartanburg History
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
barfwinkle

Crab Withdrawal Syndrome

Post by barfwinkle »

Well I have to agree. While I was unable to "get out much", I was able to sample the Crab Cakes at MacGregor's and I have to say they were divine!

Fair winds to all.
Bill Member #250.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Photos....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

As far as I know, Bill (aka barfwinkle) Slater did most of the organizing of the annual meeting with Ruth MacDonald and Sharon Kairis lending helping hands. Thanks everybody!

As usual, my husband Bruce Halley, snapped lots of photos. CLICK HERE to see'em.

The photos are also accessible from the CDSOA's "General Events" page.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Ron M.

Crab cakes

Post by Ron M. »

Sounds like an excellent get together. I must comment on crab cakes. I took the month of Oct. to help a friend sail from Cape Cod to Jacksonville and I ate crab cakes along the way whenever I had a chance. I have to report that hands up, the best I encountered, where in Bellhaven, NC. at a little joint known as Georgie's Sport and Oyster Bar,(not far from you Andy). I sampled many........they were all good, but I enjoyed his best. He also serves oysters, not by the dozen, by the bucket! I recommend anyone passing this small town anchor there, dingy over to the landing near the hospital and walk a few blocks and try this place........wonderful.
________
Toyota F Engine Specifications