Mainsail insignia color

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brian H

Mainsail insignia color

Post by Brian H »

Hello,

I realize this is a trivial question but I am curious. I'm about to order a new mainsail for my CD22D and when asked by the sailmaker what color I want the sail insignia and hull number to be I told him to keep it to the original black.

Has anyone ordered new sails with the insignia as the Cape Dory brown color and if so is it more likely to fade quicker than the black?

Thanks,
Brian
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

There's nothing wrong with black. But I think if I was going to choose a color for the insignia for a white sail, I'd have it match the color of the sail's suncovers/dodger/bimini -- just to keep things coordinated. But you should pick whatever you like.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Mainsail insignia color

Post by Duncan »

Brian H wrote:I realize this is a trivial question but I am curious. I'm about to order a new mainsail for my CD22D and when asked by the sailmaker what color I want the sail insignia and hull number to be I told him to keep it to the original black.

Has anyone ordered new sails with the insignia as the Cape Dory brown color and if so is it more likely to fade quicker than the black?
I mistakenly thought the CD insignia was red, so I specified that on my new mainsail. It came out looking very sharp.

Now that I think of it, though, it may fade to that sort of 'dusty rose' colour that looks so tired on older red hulls or canvas.

On the other hand, the insignia only sees the sun when the sail is up, whereas hulls, sail covers, dodgers, etc. are exposed all the time, so I don't think it's such a big risk.