Port hole gasket problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mgphl52

Re: McMaster-Carr!

Post by mgphl52 »

Bob Ohler wrote:Mitchell, if you have never dealt with McMaster-Carr, they are a first class company to do business with! I purchased from them just this summer. My orders came quickly and were packed perfectly.

Bob O.
CDSOA Member #188
Even better than first class! I miss-ordered two stainless pipe pieces and all I had to do was send them back (with a copy of the receipt) for full credit INCLUDING original shipping! No return authorization or any BS, they just quickly issued a credit to my charge card. They are always our "first stop" when looking for stuff...

-michael & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
M. R. Bober

McMaster-Carr

Post by M. R. Bober »

OK, OK. I placed my order this AM. They said I will have my material tomorrow. They could spoil me. :D

Thanks to all for the info.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where delivery by tomorrow is not usual,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
M. R. Bober

Ultracrepidarianism

Post by M. R. Bober »

mgphl52 wrote:McMaster-Carr has the material available by the foot: http://www.mcmaster.com/#12975k39/=43m3cd

You may want to see a past discussion (circa 2003) as well: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ter+gasket

-michael
Michael,
Have you used the item that you cited? You were correct about McMcaster-Carr. They delivered quickly.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where neoprene with a hardness of 70 is probably too hard to use for porthole gaskets, but perhaps a few days under pressure will cause it to conform or destroy the hinge pins on the portholes,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Lots of different materials listed here

Post by CruiseAlong »

McMaster Carr has a number of differenet types of 1/2" cord material and these are posted above as:
EPDM Weather Resistant firm cord....#8605k44
Neoprene Rubber .............................#12975K39
Commerical Strength Neoprene Rubber......#8466K14

When you get out the McMaster Carr catalog one sees some of the problems listed in each of the above postings.

The #12975K39 is inexpensive but listed having a Shore Hardness of A70 which makes it like the heel of your shoe. You probably like to have a firm rating of A30 to A40 for ease of installation.

The EPDM cord #8605K44 is also inexpensive but is listed as only being "fair" in the area of recovering its shape after compression.

The commerical strength neoprene rubber cord #846614 is very similar to the #12975K39 and is available in 3' lengths...and it can be purchased with a Shore hardness of A30 or A40 or A50. That is equivalent to a rubber band (A30) and pencil eraser head (A40). I had previously purchased a 3' section of the A40 but it was more firm than the freshly purchased Spartan real port gasket part I had also purchased. Therefore I believe the shore number should be about A30 for ease of installation. This product was rated with good compression recovery. The unfortunate part is the 3' section is ~$13 each or just under the Spartan price. When you go back to the 2003 posting discusion you see the notation about getting the "soft" or "medium" firm cord.

Hope this all helps some what....Dana
Andy Denmark

Another possible material

Post by Andy Denmark »

Several years ago I pulled the Bomar hatch from Rhiannon, had the frame powder coated (nice), and replaced the gasket. I used material from Pompanette, a Bowmar distributor. You can find this stuff (at $5.00 per ft) at www.pompanette.com. Click the button for Bomar/Gray and scroll down to a picture of Bomar spare parts (item D). The gasket is Part Number P-10052. it is made specifically for port and hatch gasketting and has a strip of adhesive strip (with peel off paper) along its length. This makes it extremely easy to use after the groove is cleaned out. The diameter of this stuff is 9/16" and that may or may not be okay for the Spartan ports but I think this is the stuff Spartan uses in manufacturing the ports. I could be wrong, though, so maybe it's a good idea to ask for a sample piece to see.

Hope this helps,

Andy
________
Yamaha virago 750
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
barfwinkle

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8605K44

Post by barfwinkle »

Mitchell

Here is the product I used.

and it worked like a charm....... No worries about breaking any thing and absolutely no leaks.....

fair winds
Bill Member #250.
M. R. Bober

Re: http://www.mcmaster.com/#8605K44

Post by M. R. Bober »

barfwinkle wrote:Mitchell

Here is the product I used.

and it worked like a charm....... No worries about breaking any thing and absolutely no leaks.....

fair winds
My second order from McMaster-Carr--placed late last night--was for the "8605K44" product. Following an older search, I found that Ken Coit had specifically warned against using the solid neoprene cord and recommended the 8605K44.

Thanks again,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where very narrow width truck tires--made entirely of neoprene--can be obtained at low cost. They are 34.5" in diameter,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
hughesw

What Sort of Glue?

Post by hughesw »

Bill,

What sort of glue or adhesive did you use to install the gasket material?

Just ordered some 8605K44 from Mcmaster-Carr myself. I only have four portlights to re-do on my CD-22, so I'll have plenty left over if any would be interested.

Warren H.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

gaskets

Post by trapper »

I replaced the gaskets in my CD22 and then in Saga, 25D. In both cases, I purchased the gaskets from Spartan. I know they costs a whole lot more than the material, but since I did it myself (without Ben's help). I think they are about $15 each. I needed to know that I had just the right stuff. I am confident that my gaskets are in good shape for the next 20 years, so long as I take care of them and silicone them every so often.

The gaskets from Spartan come already glued together. It does take six hands to fit them, so take a friend or two for help.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Oops! should have read the last post more closely.

I went to my local Autozone and got the glue that glues gaskets in car doors etc. As for left over, don't forget your forward hatch! Good luck.
barfwinkle

Glue

Post by barfwinkle »

I went to my local Autozone and got the glue that glues gaskets in car doors
I did the same only O'Reilly's.......

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

gasket stock

Post by Alan Holman »

FYI
The url Michael gave for McMaster-Carr is for neoprene stock. Looking through an earlier discussion on this subject I noted one poster recommended you use EDPM for the portlight gasket. The McMaster-Carr product number for that material is 9616K18. The McMaster-Carr site recommends EDPM for use in water and steam applications.

I'm quite interested in this discussion as I suspect this is a job I maybe facing myself in the not too distant future.
ah
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

gaskets

Post by Alan Holman »

Opps, Looks like when I was typing up my last message someone has come up with an even better solution.
ah
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Any leftovers?

Post by eb1smith »

I would like to redo my ports but it seem such a waste to buy the whole 100' roll. If anyone has any leftovers PM me and I will buy it.

Cheers,

Eric Smith
captzigzag

link gasket cord

Post by captzigzag »

Link to gasket material. Was right for my 33' with Spartan ports.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8605k44/=6vizaj