broad band radar

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dick Barthel

broad band radar

Post by Dick Barthel »

An interesting thread about broad band radar just started on Captain Mike's shorthanded sailing website. It seems this new equipment is cheaper, is compatible, uses less power and doesn't have the radiation issue. Does anyone on our board have any experience or knowledge about this new radar? Apparently it is just now available.

Dick
Ed Haley

Broad band radar

Post by Ed Haley »

Dick:
Some of the positives/negatives found online:

Benefits: Broadband include InstantOnâ„¢ which means the end of warm up time. The close quarters detail of radar images at 1/16 mile, which is closer than the standard 1/8 mile we are used to. A safety issue; broadband transmits at less than 1/2000 the power of traditional radar emitting no harmful radiation outside the dome.

Negatives: Broadbands less clutter is good for solid objects, but weather may be different. Looking for rain or squalls will not be as good as traditional pulse radar. Broadbands close range detail is very good, but from 10 miles out it is described as less than average.

Delivery: These systems, which generate less radiation than a typical cell phone, will be offered in the Spring 2009 and be comparable in price to conventional radar systems. Navico, Lowrance, NorthStar and Simrad each will have broadband radar models.

Interesting. I'll look into them in the spring.

Ed
Bill Chapple

Broadband radar

Post by Bill Chapple »

Dick, there was an interesting article on broadband radar and a review of the Navico BR24 unit by Chuck Husick in the May/June issue of Ocean Navigator. It definitely sounds like something to keep in mind. It basically uses the same general technique as some echo locating bats, like the greater horseshoe bat, so it has been developed (the algorithm, not the electronics) over millions of years of evolution.
Larry McAnally

Broadband Radar

Post by Larry McAnally »

Another review of interest is in this months Cruising World in Electronics Reviews by Ben Ellison.
Broadband sure looks exciting to me. I work in medical diagnostic ultrasound imaging and have seen what broadband has done for that industry. It is very exciting.
For now my budget allowed me a AIS unit which I am playing with. It is very helpful for avoiding ships and barges.
Larry