Looking for a cd 33

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
coachd

Looking for a cd 33

Post by coachd »

I am looking to purchase a CD33. If there are any on the east coast from Maryland to Maine, other than the ones posted on Yachtworld, I would appreciate the informationl
Coach D.
GeorgeV

CD33 - American Boat Listings

Post by GeorgeV »

Have you looked into American Boat Listings?

Here is one

http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=86836
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
coachd

Price

Post by coachd »

There seems to be a huge difference in the price of this boat. I see a few on yachtworld from $36,900-$44,000. This one lists for $15,000 more. I know it might have more equipment and be in better condition, but $15,000 is a big difference. I need to do some research.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

The CD33's that are listed for the lower prices reflect the state of those boats - not just the equipment. This one looks to be in real good condition and is completely worth the money. These are excellent yachts. you will not find anything comparable to them in the market for the $ they are asking. Maybe it can be reduced some by the seller. Make an offer and see what happens. If you end up with a cheaper boat it means you will end up spending the $15,000 in fixing her up. This one has had CRITICAL upgrades (in her engine room) done and would save you lots of future headaches.

I bought mine in 1997, twelve years ago, for $42 K and mine is a 1981 boat. This one is 1984, with several nicer features and in better shape. Just make sure she has no blisters in her hull. Good luck in your search.
:wink:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
MFC
Hull No.128

33 prices

Post by MFC »

I spent most of the spring looking for a 33 after having looked "at" them and followed pricing for probably 12 months beforehand. I agree with Zeida that condition and equipment are everything.

Some of the boats on the market now for nearly 40K will sell for closer to 20K. Others like "Zenobia" sold as soon as the price was lowered to the mid 40's (I assume this boat was sold since it doesn't appear on YW any longer). That boat at 40+ is definitely a better buy than a couple of the 33's I looked at which I know can be had for mid-low 20's. These boats are approaching major refitting time -- whether that refitting has been done (and how well) and / or what sort of maintenance the boat has had through its lifetime (see Zeida's boat pics!!!) make a huge difference.

All that said, having just been through the market from the buyer's side, I think you ought to be able to find a solid (no major issues / no immediate problems / some aging issues) 33 that sells in the mid - high 30's. I didn't find a 33 which I loved and could afford. I bought a 330 instead (I could only afford it b/c it had sat on the market in depressed FL for nearly 2 years).

I have looked at many of the boats on the market and would be happy to give you my impression of those if you PM me.

Good luck,
MFC
mike ritenour

An owners perspective

Post by mike ritenour »

Condition, upkeep, knowledge of the skipper and equipment are everything when it comes to buying a used boat. Not to forget to mention a good surveyor who knows the boat.

I average over close to 2,000 nm per season and I refit LaVida almost every year, doing my best to stay ahead of Murphy. I'm completely upside down (way too much money in her) in my boat's market value, but I value a vessel that can, has and will take me anywhere I point her bow.

State of the art equipment, top of the line safety equipment, etc., etc. all cost BIG bucks. If an owner takes care of his boat, the thousands he or she is asking above the market maybe a reasonable asking price.

I don't ever anticipate selling my CD33 but if I did, I would be asking a price decidedly over the market.

IMHO, When your buying a bargain priced boat, be prepared to put a LOT of sweat equity along with large doses of cash to bring her up to sailing spec..

Rit
Garrick Martin
Pirogue

Post by Garrick Martin »

If you are still looking for a CD 33 please let me know. We are considering putting ours on the market this Spring. She is a 1981 and in great condition - new engine, clean interior, new bimini and dodger, new electronics etc. Our family is growing and we are looking to move up to something larger.