What's the impeller housing gasket material?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

AlexDz

What's the impeller housing gasket material?

Post by AlexDz »

Hi all. I've given up on this marina as far as getting this engine running, so I came over to tackle putting it back together myself.

What I've run into is that I thought I had a new housing gasket aboard, but just realized it's a paper material. Is that the right stuff?

If not, I did bring some gasket maker, so will use that if need be.

At the boat right now (thank you RHYC) so a quick reply would be greatly appreciated!

:D

Alex
Alex Diaz
Chantilly, VA
John Vigor

Paper gasket

Post by John Vigor »

Mine is a very thin paper gasket -- what appears to be oiled paper.

John V.
AlexDz

Re: Paper gasket

Post by AlexDz »

John Vigor wrote:Mine is a very thin paper gasket -- what appears to be oiled paper.

John V.
Wow, and I just bought a couple of your books recently!! Thank you so much sir, that seems to be the right item.

:D

Alex
Alex Diaz
Chantilly, VA
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Mine is made out of a brown paper bag you can get from the grocery store. I cut it out then soak it in motor oil. I never have had one fail and they don't stick to the housing.
Have A Nice Day
bottomscraper

One exception that I know of: Speedseal

Post by bottomscraper »

What others have said except if you have a Speedseal cover, they use a very thin O-ring.

http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
AlexDz

Murphy's Law says: Of course it's a Speedseal

Post by AlexDz »

bottomscraper wrote:What others have said except if you have a Speedseal cover, they use a very thin O-ring.
Oy vey! Guess what, it is a Speedseal. And there were a couple of new o-rings in the box that looked about the right size and had me wondering. No big deal, it's a Speedseal right? Piece of cake to replace next time there.

Turns out I did have to use the gasket maker stuff to install the plate that the pump mounts to. That has a gasket that I thought was salvageable, until I looked more closely and realized it was also paper and too far gone. The gasket goo should be fine there for now. I just need this to run long enough to get me out into the Chester, and then back in through the channel in Deale.

Sadly, I couldn't finish the job because it turns out one of the thermostat housing bolts is missing, so I'll need to source that. I was going to remount without the thermostat, but since I have to buy the bolt I have time to find a thermostat. Any suggestions on who might have those in stock in this area? I know WM will order, and I can find them online, but I'd rather be able to pick them up so I have them in time.

I don't know why that marina has been so unresponsive as far as getting a mechanic to look at it. My fear has been that they know it's dead and just don't want to get involved. I did notice there was still some water in the system, and I cranked the motor over for a second (that brightened my day!), so I hope it's OK, but who knows. I also noticed that whoever took that thermostat out did it by bending the pipe from the pump, so maybe I'm better off without them. Of course now I have to hope that pipe seals well enough.

One way or another, Emerald sails next weekend. Assuming I can actually get them to put her back in the water. :roll:

Anyway, thanks for the great (and super quick!) responses, you folks are great.

Alex
Alex Diaz
Chantilly, VA
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Speedseal leak?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Two years ago I installed a Speedseal, because I was taking a long cruise.

Fortunately, I didn't need to use it.

However, the boatyard does the spring and fall maintenance on my 1GM, and I noticed recently that there's a ring of salt or corrosion around the Speedseal.

Something tells me they didn't replace the O-ring. Guess I'll have to do it myself.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
river-rat

Post by river-rat »

Emergency gasket

Suggestion from Hugh Brock, an independent diesel mechanic in Portland:

Old navigation charts have good quality paper that can be used as a gasket. Holding the paper tight to the housing, tap lightly with a ball peen hammer around the edge to mark the size. Cut to the marks and install. Oiling the paper will make the gasket cling to the housing for easier installation.

Note that too thick a gasket will result in too much impeller clearance and will reduce water flow.

Burl Romick
Emil Maurer

Speedseal O ring

Post by Emil Maurer »

I guess you know that the Speedseal O ring which sits in the groove on the back of the cover needs some silicon grease to hold it in place and set the seal. You can get it at any dive shop.

Speedseal
Parker, Alex
safety@speedseal.com
www.speedseal.com
Emil Maurer