Moorings

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

Moorings

Post by Jay B. »

I am looking to move our boat from a slip to a mooring. I've never used a mooring, but mainly due to financial reasons, have decided to try it out. I would be purchasing an existing mooring with a 200 lb mushroom anchor for my CD25. It is located in a mooring field in close proimity to a public dock where I can load and unload passengers and provisions. I like the location. The first year, including cost of the mooring, I will be saving approx. 2/3 of the cost to keep our boat. After that, no slip fees!

Any comments, words of advise, things to consider?

Thanks,
Jay
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You are going to love it!

It is much easier to sail off and onto a mooring than it is to deal with docking all of the time. No fenders or dock lines to deal with. You can raise the sails while still at the mooring then basically just sail away.

The down side is getting a bunch of people or supplies on board. If there is launch service then day sails with guests are easy. As long as you have a dock to come into that takes care of major provisioning.

If you stay on board it is harder to walk ashore to use facilities. The up side is that it is usually darker and quieter on a mooring. You will also find it cooler in the summer as there is usually a better breeze. Prettier views, possibly fewer bugs...

Whats not to like, Steve.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

I agree with Steve. We've always kept our boats at moorings. I think sailboats are happier when they're allowed to swing into the wind. We also like the privacy. Just remember that moorings are not maintenance free. Check with your harbormaster to find out the requirements for maintaining your mooring, and what's required of you if a storm is forecast. These rules are designed to protect everyone. In my mooring field, the mushrooms must be hauled every year and inspected (we're in a river with strong currents), and boats must be stripped of all sails and canvas on the approach of a major storm. Enjoy your new location!
Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

Thanks

Post by Jay B. »

Thanks for the input. I think you guys pushed me over the edge and I'm going to go for it. I will let you know how things go.

Jay
Kevin_P
Location: Former owner of "Meridian"1977 CD30C #58Milwaukee, WI

Fun with moorings.

Post by Kevin_P »

Not to rain on the parade... but be sure to have a heavy duty mooring... nothing is fail safe. I was renting a mooring for three weeks that was supposed to be rock solid and just a few years old. I had 3 pennants as well as a chain attached to the mooring at the bow. During a storm with 60mph winds, the chain broke toward the base of the weight at the bottom and sent my boat flying into the docks. Two other boats ended up on the beach and a few others also had close calls... Ugh... Luckily the boat didn't sink though... And another smaller sailboat I had on a different mooring rode the storm fine.

Otherwise, I love moorings :-)

See the damage here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kpetajan/s ... 2612/show/
Kevin Petajan
"Vegvisir" - Young Sun 35

Former owner of "Meridian"
1977 CD30C #58
Milwaukee, WI
chase

mooring

Post by chase »

Kevin, that's just hard to look at. Sorry-

Jay, I really enjoy being on a mooring which is uncommon down here. I'd dive on it or pay someone to immediately, particularly after Kevins experience. I would not take anyone's word for it and would want to see it myself. I would replace any chain or linkages that were even close to suspect.

I paid about $800 for my mooring hardware and could not have done it without the help and advice of Cap'ns Denmark and Turner.

Chase
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I have a different opinion of moorings as I got off of mine this year. What I hated about my mooring was the ton of bird droppings that I would find on it every weekend. If I couldn't get to the boat for two or even three weeks then forget it. The time spent dropping a bumper paled in comparison to the time spent scrubbing the boat. I was spending more time cleaning the boat then sailing it.

I didn't have a convenient place to store a dinghy. You may have a better situation. I had to either lug the hard dinghy or inflate the soft dinghy and then row out and back from the boat. It wasn't hard, but it took a ton of time. In the slip, I get on the boat, drop in the outboard, take off the covers, drop the bumpers on the dock, and I'm off.

If you do need to use the outboard during the day, flushing it the mooring is tough.

I hope it works out for you. Finances have been tough for us too and we have talked about going back on the mooring. I'm just not looking forward to that move.
Seajunkie
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Mooring

Post by henry hey »

I had my CD25 on a mooring at City Island the entire time that I owned it.

I agree with the early posters. A mooring is the way to go! Provided that the mooring is in good shape, your boat will actually be happier on a mooring than at a slip.

I was always told that you want US made chain. there are a lot of foreign low grade chains. I wouldn't risk it. My chain was ACCO chain (from Chicago I believe).

You also want a NEW BRIDLE!!! This is the top place where moorings give way as the bridle will wear down easily over time. Make sure that your bridle has chafe gear on it (rubber hoses really) to greatly reduce chafing.

The good thing with your CD25 is that you have that lovely ultra-secure stem fitting where you can lock in your two bridles before you put them over the horn.

As to weight. . I had a 250lb mushroom anchor mooring at City Island and we definitely get our share of heavy noreasters there with plenty of fetch. It stood up just fine although 250 is the absolute lightest I would go for a 25' 4000lb CD25.

Get a good mooring setup and sleep well at night.

my 2 cents.

-henry
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Docks......

Post by Michael Heintz »

First wow Kevin THAT is hard to look at.....I wish you the best.

As to Dock vs Mooring. I love being on a dock. Yes it's a bit more difficult going out and in, and more expensive .. however for me the convenience is a wonderful thing.

Having guests, loading up for a cruise, or just hangin with good neighbors. We have a comradeship in the yard and it's fun to hang out.......

Anyway that's my 2 cent worth.

michael
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

MH on the dock

Post by henry hey »

Michael,

To be fair. . . you have a MUCH bigger boat. You probably require shore power, fresh water on a regular basis, pumpout etc. .

If I had a 30mkII I would probably also put it on a dock.

h
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Dockage......

Post by Michael Heintz »

H,

You are correct SIR. Generally the more systems you have the more you enjoy being "Hooked Upped". It is a convenience. However when I'm on my mooring in Woods Hole I still survived.

m
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

He must not live idle;
henry hey

dock

Post by henry hey »

Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just get a cd25 and put it on a mooring? Maybe you should give me your 30 mkII

I'll take that trouble off your hands. :)

h
Michael Heintz

Dockage.....

Post by Michael Heintz »

H,

Your right... man...it just would be easier to give you Macht Nichts......

Why don't you come up for a sail.......to be sure she might suit you.....
m
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

He must not live idle;
henry hey

a sail

Post by henry hey »

If that baby is still in the water. . you are ON!

We can chat over e-mail.

h
Michael Heintz

My season.....

Post by Michael Heintz »

H,

My season is normally April 15th till Dec 15th......... I'm thinking this year I might haul a little earlier HOWEVER I will be in at least till Thanksgiving.......

I will E mail you ....I'd love to have you for a sail.....

m
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

He must not live idle;