Some CDs for sale at Mattapoisett

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

Some CDs for sale at Mattapoisett

Post by mahalocd36 »

From Mattapoisett Boat Yard:

We will be conducting a sealed bid auction on a number of older power and sail boats. The auction will end at 4:00 pm. Monday October 12 (Columbus Day). The boats to be included are:

27' Cape Dory 27-D 1981
28' Pearson 1975
27' Tartan 1964
38' Kappa San wooden sloop 1960
25' Santana 1975
22' Tanzer 1983
25' Hunter 1974
23' US Yacht 1982
18' Cape Dory Typhoon 1973
23' Sea Craft cuddy cabin 1976
22' Tripp Angler 1976

To view these boats and others for sale through MBY, please check this link: http://www.mattapoisettboatyard.com/boa ... er_list.pl

All boats may be viewed anytime during regular working hours, or by appointment, prior to the close of the auction. All bids must be submitted with a $100 cash deposit regardless of the amount offered (some of the boats will be offered for free). Full payment must be made within 5 business days of the close of the sale. Payment must be made by bank check, money order or good old fashioned cash. All boats must be removed from the storage lot unless approved by the Yard.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Melissa:

I am assuming from your post that these boats are significantly in arrears in yard fees, etc. and/or have been abandoned and the yard is selling them to recoup some costs, etc.

If accurate, I am amazed that a 1981 Cape Dory 27 is included within the list. That is very sad. :(

Also sad is the listing of the 1973 Ty Weekender or Daysailor.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Appleton68

Typhoon?

Post by Appleton68 »

When I click on the link, the Typhoon does not appear on the list, has it been sold?
Greg
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Our yard has delinquent payers auctions every couple of years.

The owner acts as auctioneer and I believe he takes no small pleasure in selling them off for whatever price they bring. He would use a length of black hose as a gavel and slap it against the hull when a sale was final.

One year one boat on a nice trailer was on the list but there was some sort of question as to weather it would be sold. Evidently the yard had been around the block with this guy at least once before. At the last hour the guy evidently settled his bill and the boat was not sold.

I do not believe the yard can sell the boats outright. If they are trying to recover cost I believe the auction has to be publisized and the boat sold to the highest bidder. These laws may vary by state.

There are always a couple of very sweet deals to be had. It also seems like there are boats they can't even give away and they end up stuffing them into a dumpster with a back hoe. I think this also makes the owner of the yard smile.

I suppose the yard could sell a boat before the auction if the boat owner were to sign over his title prior to the sale.

I went to one auction and it was fun to watch but still a bit sad.

Just be careful if you really don't want another project. Those orphans are hard to resist, Steve.
barfwinkle

In Oklahoma

Post by barfwinkle »

The marina places a "mechanics lean" on the boat and once the title is transferred over to the marina, they do sell them.
Bill Member #250.
mahalocd36

Re: Typhoon?

Post by mahalocd36 »

Appleton68 wrote:When I click on the link, the Typhoon does not appear on the list, has it been sold?
I don't know, you'd have to contact Mattapoisett. I just posted that from their newletter as I thought those 2 boats might be of interest to people.

Maybe when the owner found out that MBY was serious about auctioning off their boat they paid their bill.....just a guess. Since it's a sealed bid auction I doubt they would have sold it outright before the end of the auction.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Easier to pay the marina on time

Post by Neil Gordon »

More than you might want to know about the marina's rights (in Massachusetts) when you fail to pay them:

http://www.boatma.com/conference08/pdf/ ... _Boats.pdf
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

The CD-27 is removed from the auction

Post by Roy J. »

After some email correspondence, Dave from Mattapoisett informed me that the CD-27 was sold by settling the yard bill ($6K!). It is unclear whether the owner paid up or someone got a great deal. Too bad, I was working on a case of twofootitis.
Roy Jacobowitz
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

The broker called me and told me that the owner paid the back fees and thus, they considered the boat sold.