Galley Foot Pump Placement - CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Andy Denmark

Left or right?

Post by Andy Denmark »

I honestly don't know if it's left or right. It was the only one West had in stock and it matched the mounting configuration of the older one.

FWIW, Oriental has the smallest West Marine anywhere (Expresses, I think they call them). I'd be amazed if its 2,000 square feet. Still, it's a WM and the snowbirds have to trek about a mile to get to it from the town harbor.

Speaking of snowbirds there are very few of them so far. I'd say the "density" is about half of a normal year. Lots of powerboaters and fewer sailboaters. That's my purely subjective call.
________
Free wordpress themes
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

Hey Andy

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

foot pump

Post by Shipscarver »

Andy, I am in awe of your boat! It looks like new. I have 30 years of grime accumulated under the sink and in the engine area. I don't think paint would stick, :roll:
What did you paint that area with?
My inverter is where you put the foot pump Back to the drawing board.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
barfwinkle

Left vs Right

Post by barfwinkle »

Andy

I think you have the Right Handed model (GP0550). I mounted mine on the port side, under the sink and it is a model GP0551. The left hand right hand is determined from looking at the pump lever (I think).

Finally, an answer (hopefully) :D :!:

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product_list/1/13/

Fair Winds and as always I hope to see you in Havre de Grace
Bill Member #250.
The Patriot

Re: galley foot pump

Post by The Patriot »

Shipscarver wrote:Looking at my new pump, I think the left/right issue relates to the side where the intake and output nozzles are mounted. I didn't know there was a left/right when I ordered it at the WM store. But, the box says, "RIGHT."
I am going to stick my neck out a bit on this, but heck, it's only a boat (smile). I have rebuilt the Whale Galley Foot Pump a few times (both the Mk2 and its replacement, the Mk3), and it's been a long time since the last rebuild. However I seem to remember that these pump models can be assembled to be either "right" or left" depending on the need. It takes a bit of doing, and the diagrams were quite small and detailed. The pump body itself is symmetrical, and the left- or right-handed nature of the fully assembled pump is determined not by the pump body but by the arrangement of the flappers and diaphragms. These can be assembled in either direction, so that the intake and outflow can be switched. Can someone verify this by checking the assembly diagrams?
Andy Denmark

Thanks for the compliment, BUT ..........

Post by Andy Denmark »

Shipscarver,

Thanks for the compliment but the pictures are a disillusion I'm afraid. Rhiannon has been sitting in the back corner of the boatyard for over a year while I've been fighting off the grim reaper. Wanna' see how big a mess you can make aboard your boat then I highly recommend repowering. She's a bit run down now and full of mildew but a good cleanup is high on the priority list once she gets back to the house.

With any luck I'll have her ready to trek southward sometime near the first of December in much better shape than she's in right now.

I'll post some more pictures as the project unfolds.
________
Bmw z4
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Richard G.

Foot Pump CD27

Post by Richard G. »

What about the sink side of the deal? What spout instead of the hand pump?
Troy Scott

CD36 foot pump?

Post by Troy Scott »

My 36 came with a manual pump by the sink. I've had foot pumps in the past. Does anyone have photos of foot pump installations in a 36?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven has a pressure water system and with due diligence it does not use a great deal of water. She also had a foot pump in the galley for back up or an alternative to using the pressure water for conservation purposes. We found that we never used the foot pump. It might be a consideration for a very long offshore passage.

Being as we are not doing any weeks long offshore, trips I plumbed the foot pump into a salt water inlet. I could have done this with a Y valve to be able to switch back to fresh water. Instead I capped the fresh water inlet and figured it would be easy enough to switch the lines if the need arose.

Using salt water in the galley has done more to conserve fresh water than the use of a fresh water foot pump could ever hope to accomplish. We can now pump away to our hearts content while washing dishes, hands or brushing teeth. Our water consumption is way down now.

If you already have a pressure water system and a foot pump is practical I would definitely hook it up to salt water with a provision to switch it over to the fresh water system.

This might not be related to the original post. The ideal situation would be a pair of foot pumps. if finding room for one is a problem then two might be a near impossibility, Steve.
bottomscraper

4 Foot Pumps

Post by bottomscraper »

A few years back at one of the boat shows there was a boat (don't remember the brand) with 4 foot pumps. The vendor at first said they were salt, fresh, red and white wine. Actually they were salt, hot fresh, cold fresh and recycled ice box meltage.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Ugh, the only place I would want to pump ice box meltings, is straight over the side.

The wine pump is not so far fetched nor a bad idea. When Chinchester did his solo circ, on Gypsy Moth II he had beer on tap next to the nav station.

And to think he got knighted for that trip, Steve.
Richard G.

Hand Pump on CD 27

Post by Richard G. »

If you replace the hand pump with a foot pump, what do you replace the hand pump at the sink with?
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

If you replace the hand pump with a foot pump, what do you replace the hand pump at the sink with?
just a plain stand alone faccet sans pump.
Bill Member #250.
Jim_B

Footpump/handpump

Post by Jim_B »

My CD36 foot pump is for seawater (saves water rinsing dishes) and the handpump is now plumbed into the freshwater system as a backup to the pressurized system. If we ever discharge the batteries we can still get fresh water (if we haven't emptied the tanks too :) )

(note be certain to close the thru-hole feeding the footpump when not in use)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P0 ... directlink
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Footpump/handpump

Post by Neil Gordon »

Jim_B wrote: If we ever discharge the batteries we can still get fresh water (if we haven't emptied the tanks too :) )
Another advantage of the manual pump... you use less (i.e., no) electricity and you use less water.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698