changing her name

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi ever one....

the last owner of my typhoon was from canda,

he was half french and canadian.....

so the name was in french....

i changed it after my first sail in her to easy rider....

it fits the boat....

i am not superstitious....

winthrop
Troy Scott

why not?

Post by Troy Scott »

My boat is already re-named on the official papers, but I haven't told her yet. I will use JV's ceremony before I get around to painting the new name on the transom. And I may (probably will) ask my priest to bless the boat. All this despite the fact that I'm not really religious, and I'm definitely not superstitious. But I like fun and harmless traditions. And this falls into the "can't hurt, might help" category. So why not?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: why not?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Troy Scott wrote:All this despite the fact that I'm not really religious, and I'm definitely not superstitious.
The point is that, as you say, you can do no harm.

Add to that the requirement that you conclude whichever ceremony you use with appropriate beverages. That's reason enough to go through the ritual.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Kquist
1981 CD 30c
Hull # 194
East Greenwich, RI
CD 10, Hull #100 to be restored

Closing on our new CD30 and not renaming

Post by Kquist »

My husband and I are closing on "Red Wing" on Wednesday at Robinhood Marina in Maine. When I saw her on yacht world I fell in love with her and knew she was "the one".

We had looked at so many boats since early spring that I was sure we were doomed to be boatless. When we walked to the back of the lot and saw her she was so beautiful and her name fit her perfectly, I was sold. Walt and I had already picked another name for whatever boat we bought. I told him she is Red Wing and he agreed.

We hope to see many of you next spring in New England. We are mooring/winter storage at Norton's in East Greenwich, RI.
Kelle & Walt Quist
Rowe, MA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails."
Mark Twain
Troy Scott

"new" CD30

Post by Troy Scott »

Congratulations Kelle & Walt!

That's a great boat. I recently sailed out of the Fairhope Yacht Club on a CD30 owned by an old friend, Buck Monroe. I've been refitting rather than sailing my CD36, and I needed a "sailing fix". We had a great time in near perfect weather.

I'm curious about the name "Red Wing". Does she have a red spinnaker?

What plans do you have for your "new" boat?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

RMC

Post by Troy Scott »

P.S.
Kelle & Walt,
I bought my boat from Robinhood Marine Center as well. I found the folks there, especially Dave Perry to be great to deal with. They have also been helpful with advice and parts in the years since the sale.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Kquist
1981 CD 30c
Hull # 194
East Greenwich, RI

Post by Kquist »

Hi Troy,

Yes, we have been working with Dave Parry. He has been great. That is a beautiful area to sail out of. We live in western Massachusetts (2 1/2 hours from RI, 4 1/2 from Georgetown, ME) so we are going to sail out of RI. Walt is from RI originally and we have friends there.

Red Wing does have a red spinnaker. You can see her on yachtworld (or Robinhoodmarina.com). She is Bob Emmons boat. Her name comes from story he read (I have to look at the other message to get it right). She will be well loved and we hope to meet other Cape Dory owners in RI. Thank you for your well wishes. I hope your refit goes well.

Kelle
Kelle & Walt Quist
Rowe, MA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails."
Mark Twain
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Red Wing

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Kelle,

There is another interesting bit of trivia associated with the name Red Wing.

Years ago there was a popular country song about a forlorn Indian Maiden named Pretty Red Wing. I don't remember all the words but it went something like this.

Pretty Red Wing

A shy little prairie maid,
Who sang a lay, a love song gay,
As on the plain she’d while away the day;
She loved a warrior bold,
This shy little maid of old,
But brave and gay, he rode one day
To battle far away.
Chorus:
Now, the moon shines tonight on pretty Red Wing
The breeze is sighing, the night bird’s crying,
For afar ’neath his star her brave is sleeping,
While Red Wimg’s weeping her heart away.
She watched for him day and night,
She kept all the campfires bright,
And under the sky, each night she would lie,
And dream about his coming by and by;
But when all the braves returned,
The heart of Red Wing yearned,
For far, far away, her warrior gay,
Fell bravely in the fray.

Good luck with your new boat.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
The Patriot

Re: Red Wing

Post by The Patriot »

Oswego John wrote: ... Years ago there was a popular country song about a forlorn Indian Maiden named Pretty Red Wing ...
Then there's the Bob Dylan protest song about a juvenile detention center, "The Walls of Red Wing":

"Oh, the age of the inmates
I remember quite freely:
No younger than twelve,
No older 'n seventeen.
Thrown in like bandits
And cast off like criminals,
Inside the walls,
The walls of Red Wing."

There are many reasons people change names, and this may be merely one of them.
Last edited by The Patriot on Sep 28th, '09, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Closing on our new CD30 and not renaming

Post by Neil Gordon »

Kquist wrote:My husband and I are closing on "Red Wing" on Wednesday ...
I crewed Red Wing with Bob on his first trip to Maine. Congrats on acquiring a great boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I always thought "Beyond Reach" would be a good name for a sailboat but have never seen one with it. My Typhoon was named Sea May but I plan on changing it to Swift (Wishful Thinking).
Kquist
1981 CD 30c
Hull # 194
East Greenwich, RI

Post by Kquist »

Thanks everyone....
Kelle & Walt Quist
Rowe, MA

Mark Twain