Where does the mast support structure end?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

oatmealraisin

Where does the mast support structure end?

Post by oatmealraisin »

Hi,
I am trying to add line organizers for the lines to the cockpit of our CD22. To do this, I need to use through bolts. My problem is that I am not sure about the actual structure of the mast support system. It appears that the mast tabernacle is resting upon a solid uplift. The manual states that the support system is integrated to the hull for strength. Going aft, there is approximately a 3/4" gap between the uplifted area and the forward part of the hatchcover. Where does the extra bracing end, relative to the end of the uplift section, going aft? I am seeking a clear area to put the bolts through, without interfering with the support system for the mast.

Thank you for trying to understand my explanation.

Oatmealraisin (My favorite cookie)
Inua, CD22
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Morning Oatmealraisin

you might find the answer here

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... _mast.html

HOpe this helps.
Bill Member #250.
oatmealraisin

Post by oatmealraisin »

Thank you Barfwinkle! You solved my problem regarding an organizer plate. I needed one.

My concern is that after my swivel blocks are attached, I need to lead the lines aft to my clutch. How wide is the support base, that CD built into the forward cabin structure, under the mast. The mast/mast plate rests upon the gel coat covered system of metal and fiberglass. I want to miss this structure when I drill holes for my organizer that will be aft of the swivel blocks.

My Alberg 22 did not have as stout a mast/mast base support system like the CD22. There have been cases of the downward pressure caused by too tight standing rigging crushing the top in on Alberg 22s. I am impressed with Inua's support under the mast/mast plate, and I do not want to drill into it.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

For what it is worth, I have an organizer plate from dwyer mast (www.dwyermast.com) I'll let you have at a good price.

And when installing my mast hinge, I used the existing holes for the mast shoe and did not drill any new holes into the coach top at all. Also, the only reason I didn't use my halyard organizer was because in the time between the purchase of the organizer and the mast hinge, dwyer had a change in design and the old organizer will not fit under the newer design of the hinge.

I hope this has been helpful.

Fair winds and good luck.
Bill Member #250.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I'm more of a toll house fan myself. If you can, post a pic of what your talking about. I dug out under the mast Tabernackle on my Ty and there was no metal, just rotten core with a solid fiberglass beam underneath it. Might be different on a 22 though.
oatmealraisin

Post by oatmealraisin »

I would be interested in your organizer, Barfwinkle, if you think it will fit my 1981 mast and plate.

I will try to get a picture, as suggested by Markst95, and post it. Gads, I have to depend upon my wife for that- she is the computer person- thank goodness.

OR,
Inua, CD22
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

oatmealraisin

We need to move this conversation to http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 666#132666

fair winds
Bill Member #250.
oatmealraisin

Attempt unsuccessful

Post by oatmealraisin »

I have tried to send a reply, via the suggested post, unsuccessfully.
A copy of my answer was not revealed on that site.
Oatmealraisin
oatmealraisin

Post by oatmealraisin »

Thank you Barfwinkle!

One of the members recommended that I try rare earth magnets to discern the outline of the metal mast step pattern. My small rare earth magnets could not reliably pick up the edges. They may not have been strong enough to penetrate the cabin top. However, the idea is very good.

Oatmealraisin