What a sail...what a sailboat!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

andrewaia

What a sail...what a sailboat!

Post by andrewaia »

Just returned from a wonderful sail...I have no idea of my speed but we went several miles out into Lake Ontario wind speeds were 15-20 kts waves were 3-5 feet...we heeled to the rail a couple of times but for the most part we kept her down a bit easing the main, I had a small jib on the fore deck and this was by far the best handling boat I have sailed, this was my first real time sailing this boat in those conditions and it was one of the best sails I have been on, we did get a little wet, but I have to tell you it was a great time! Past a couple of sailboats they were flying big gennies and no main they were having fun too...I am glad I decided to trade my Rhodes 19 for this Cape Dory 25!
Cape Dory 25
Lake Ontario
Irondequoit Bay
Newport Yacht Club
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

The hook is set! (n/m)

Post by Warren S »

(n/m)
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

In those conditions our boats shine!

Post by SeaBelle »

When I started to sail I loved to bury the rail; I thought that was REAL sailing. Now I reef early and often, not because I'm older but because she loves to sail on her feet and she's faster there.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.