#4 typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ckelly

#4 typhoon

Post by ckelly »

Yesterday on Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, N.Y., I saw a black hull, green topside Typhoon, with no side port lites in the cabin, with Ty 4 on the main sail. I was not able to get close but do plan on tracking it down soon. Are 1,2,3, still sailing?
Chris
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Early Tys

Post by Oswego John »

If memory serves me correctly, I think that Ty #2 is/was in a village somewhere on the north fork of the eastern end of Long Island, NY.

It is also true that the early TY Weekenders, had no portlights in the cuddy. The Ty WEs were originally made by Naugus Fiberglass Industries in Salem, Mass. A few years later they were produced by Cape Dory.

Good luck in your search.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Post by boom2it »

I recently moved my Typhoon from Otsego lake to City Island. While at the lake last week cruising around in the Boston Whaler, we came across a Typhoon in great condition. Not #4, I think he stated it was a 1980, something around #1500. Anyway I don't believe there are more then the two of them on Lake Otsego now. Not that this post answers any of your questions, just a fellow Otsego boater chiming in.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
ckelly

Typhoons

Post by ckelly »

My Typhoon is #1856 moored at the Otsego Sailing Club, Rte 80, Cooperstown, N.Y. Five typhoons are moored in the harbor at O.S.C.

Chris
Steve Laume

They're like rabbits.

Post by Steve Laume »

Those Typhoons are like rabbits. At first you have one or two and before you know it...

What great boats, Steve.
Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

We are proud to say that hull #27 resides year-round in the Old Yacht Basin, Southport, NC.
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC
Gary H

Otsego Ty's

Post by Gary H »

Boom2it - that was me on Otsego Lake that you talked to a couple of weeks ago. 1975- hull#897.
Chris - I also saw that TY 4 sailing two weeks ago. We passed close enough to wave. He was sailing with just a main up.
Gary
John Ring

Ty 2

Post by John Ring »

Ty #2 is alive & well in my buddy's driveway in Massachusetts. She's getting fresh brightwork, and a new Flag Blue topsides.

This is a Cape Dory built Typhoon, complete with the CD builder's plate showing hull #2.

John
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Bob B

Typhoon at Southport

Post by Bob B »

That's great. We kept a CD27 at Southport before we moved it to Ocracoke. Southport was great. Glad to see Cape Dory keeping a presence there. We are now back in a Typhoon and hope to have it in the water soon.

B. Bundy
CD Typhoon "Liberty"
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Post by boom2it »

Gary nice to meet you. I also saw you sail to our end of the lake in the regatta, is that the Oneonta Sailing club that sailed that day? Looked like a good turn out. Was really wishing I still had "Gael Force" up there that stay.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
Oswego John

Early Tys

Post by Oswego John »

John Ring

Hi John,

Now you have me really thinking. I assume that your buddy's Ty is a weekender. From what I understand, the Weekenders and the Daysailers had separate sets of hull numbers. The early numbered Ty that I was mentioning on Long Island just might have been #1 or #3. And then, again, how long has your buddy owned #2 ? Could he have possibly bought it on LI a few years ago?

If you see him, could you find out if the hull has the bronze Cape Dory builders plate or possibly a Naugus Fiberglass builders plate.

Not that the answers would be earth shattering news to many, but it is kind of nice for some of us to know about the earlier Tys and if they are still around.

Thanks for the heads up on #2.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
John Ring

Ty 2

Post by John Ring »

O.J.

I've been on the boat once or twice, and yes, Ty 2 is a weekender. It has a plastic Cape Dory builder's plate showing hull #2. He bought it about a year ago from a guy at my club. I think it's been local for some years, sailing just north of Boston.

She looks very much like any other Ty weekender, with one round port on each side. She has a toe rail, but no rub rail, and no casting in the bow fitting indicating there was one. Also, there is no liner inside the cabin. The deck is supported by exposed plywood knees.

The current owner posts here from time to time. Maybe he'll post a few pics.

Best,
John Ring
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Oswego John

A Pleasant Surprise

Post by Oswego John »

Typhoon Weekender #8

Due to a real nice coincidence, a true stroke of luck, today we learned of the whereabouts of another old timer, one of the first batch of early Typhoon Weekenders.

This is how the story goes. A gent up in Freeport, Me. resurrects and rehabs old sailboats. He came upon a tired, old, abandoned Typhoon, #8.

Not being sure just what he was about to acquire, he got in touch with Carl Thunberg, the Fleet Captain of the CDSOA Northeast Fleet. Carl, in response, referred the new owner to me, hoping that I could shed some further info on the early Ty.

Luckily, there was one photo included in the email that I received. The boat is an early vintage of the Ty Weekender. It isn't in creampuff condition like Zaida's, but it is in good enough shape that a fine restoration is possible. Some carpenter work is in order.

The picture showed the early strip bench seats, sans the cockpit lockers that today double for seats. It will require much scrubbing to remove years of neglect. The teak, lots and lots of it on the early Tys, needs much TLC. Another significent difference is the full paneled teak bulkheads separating the cuddy from the cockpit

At this time, let me warn some of the owners who are about to do teak work on their boats. Go very easy with the sanding block. Quite often the teak you see isn't a teak board but a piece of plywood with a paper thin teak veneer ply on the exposed surface. Agressive sanding will abrade right through the veneer and expose the plywood base. Try teak cleaner first.

I have to say, Joe from Georgia et al, that there is a grand sense of accomplishment when you attempt and complete a project on your boat, no matter what the outcome. Just read up, ask questions and then do your best.

Do I dare say that it is far better to sail a grungy looking boat than look at it in your driveway, hoping someday that it will be presentable enough for white glove inspection.

Go sailing, :D
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
John Ring

Re: A Pleasant Surprise

Post by John Ring »

Oswego John wrote:...The picture showed the early strip bench seats, sans the cockpit lockers that today double for seats... Another significent difference is the full paneled teak bulkheads separating the cuddy from the cockpit...
This sounds like a Naugus built Typhoon, yeah? The Cape Dory weekender #2 in my buddy's driveway has fiberglass cockpit seats, fiberglass bulkheads dividing the cabin from cockpit, and fiberglass cockpit locker lids too.

John Ring
TyTwo
Manchester/Framingham, MA

My Ty

Post by TyTwo »

Hi there,

Eric Woodman here, John Ring's buddy. I do, indeed own CD Typhoon #2 (Megan E) and she is in my back yard undergoing an extremely slow rehab. She's not much to look at now, but hopefully by the spring of '10 she'll be back in business.

I have some photos posted here. Note that the toe rails and combings have been removed. I've built new toe rails out of mahogany and hope to salvage the combings.

http://tytwo.shutterfly.com/

Does the boot stripe look like Heath Ledger's Joker, or what?:)

Eric

[img]http://image_url[/img]

Eric Woodman
Almost Blue
Typhoon Weekender #2
Formerly Megan E