Proper Jib/Genoa Dimensions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mr. Doug

Proper Jib/Genoa Dimensions

Post by Mr. Doug »

Through searching the archives, I've come up with some conflicting info on proper dimensions for a larger sail.

For a 150% Genoa, I've found two (very) different sets of measurements. Can someone throw some light on this for me? Were there different mast heights?

Luff 25'-8"
Leech 24'-4"
Foot 14'-4"

Luff = 29'-10"
Leech = 29'-8"
Foot = 15'-4"

I'm trying to find something used on one of the MANY used sail sites out there, and want to match up the best fit. I don't necessarily need a 150%, but need something bigger.

Also, should I be concerned with Dacron weight? 4oz? 6oz? (assuming lighter for lighter air.)
--
Doug Hardman
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

The 1978 Owner's Manual (available elsewhere on this site) includes a sail plan diagram which shows the genoa luff should be 27' 6" and the foot should be 14'. Based on that, the first of the sails you list is pretty close. The luff on the second is too long for your headstay.
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

I ended up getting a used sail from Wayne Stevens of Porpoise Sails. (www.porpoisesailing.com)

Luff: 25"
Leech: 23.6"
Foot: 14"
4.5oz Dacron
$175

I don't mind the sail being 2' short. It's almost 2X bigger than the 85% it came with.

Maiden voyage tomorrow!
--
Doug Hardman