Spartan seacock lever diameter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Spartan seacock lever diameter

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Does anyone know the width or diameter of a standard Spartan seacock lever? I have one way down low in a tight spot in the engine compartment and have a hard time stretching and getting any leverage on it when it is in the open position. Its not too bad when I need to open it but when I try to close it getting a length of pipe on it would give me a little leverage. Forgot to measure it the last time I was onboard this past weekend. I'm thinking maybe 1 1/4"?

Thanks

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
marv brinn

lever

Post by marv brinn »

if you call paul at spartan Iam sure he can advise you. he has been unbelievably helpful in helping me with my 3/4 head inlet isssue.
none
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Would a hole drilled through the handle with a lanyard attached help you out at all? Even if it was just to get the lever started to the point that you could reach it.

It might be harder to swing the pipe than it is to reach the lever.

At least you would have a tool to fend off boarders, Steve.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Steve,

Do you have pirates in Connecticut waters? I know that they have them in Pittsburgh. :D

Aaaarrgh, yuk, yuk
Cap'n Pucebeard
Comm. Officer,
Good Ship Bacala
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

O.J. from all the stupid pirate flags I see flying from boats around the anchorages and mooring fields there must be a lot of pirates here.

Not too many of the Pittsburgh type here though. Most folks seem to have baseball caps with B s on them.

I'm not much of a sports fan. I would much rather play than watch. I always told my son I liked the "ing" sports.

There is no "ing" in baseball but sailing works, Steve.
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Dimensions

Post by Doug Gibson »

Hi Joe -

Down at the boat today and measured a handle. At it's widest, it is 1.25" across and 0.40 thick. A pipe with ID of 1.5" should provide clearance.
Doug Gibson
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Doug,

Thanks for the info. If that doesn't work (and I think it should as there is plenty room above to swing a pipe) I may try a modified version of Steve suggestion and drill a hole at the end of the handle / lever so I could slip a pin of some type at the and of a rod to get it started toward the closed position.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.