Rudder Shaft / stuffing box / steering q's

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MFC
Hull No.128

Rudder Shaft / stuffing box / steering q's

Post by MFC »

Hi-
Last week I had my 330 out and I heard some squeaking from the steering quadrant. I made a note of it and asked a local mechanic to check it out. He found nothing.

Yesterday, I noticed the squeaking had become significantly more severe (both frequent and more disturbing tone). As I look at the shaft / hose / stuffing box when the wheel turns, I am seeing some movement (beam to beam) in the stuffing box and hose. Not much but it is noticeable and combined with the noise (pronounced under load) it concerns me.

Thoughts on this? Could it be as simple as re-packing the stuffing box? No water is coming out of the box. The boat has lay idle for a couple of years.

TIA
Matt
MFC
Hull No.128

Additional Q's

Post by MFC »

Is there a bearing in the rudder port? Can anyone describe the construction of the rudder and shaft from the packing gland down to the shoe for me? Thanks!
Matt
Dalton

Bushing on top

Post by Dalton »

My RH 36 has a bushing at the top of the rudder shaft that started to make noise and was worn out. It was a knuckle buster to replace but not too difficult. Mine is accessible just underneath the emergency tiller access port. Check it out.

GD
MFC
Hull No.128

Thanks Daulton

Post by MFC »

When you say "at the top of the rudder shaft" -- do you mean above the steering quadrant where the rudder shaft ends? On my boat, that bearing is good. I am concerned about what may be happening (and the details of construction) below the quadrant -- where the shaft enters the rudder tube and below.

There may be a bearing in that rudder tube or it might simply be fiberglass . . . hopefully someone has addressed these issue before me.

Thanks again,
Matt
Dalton

Yeah that's the one

Post by Dalton »

The one on the very top of my rudder post wore out. It made a lot of noise and had some play in it.

I do keep an eye on the cables, and have had to tighten them, but I have not serviced or looked into the rudder stuffing box yet.

GD