New CD25 owner!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

New CD25 owner!

Post by Kilgore »

I hope to have her launched in the next week or so. I'll post pics and details shortly.

She sports an '83 vintage 9.9 Evinrude. After some digging here, it seems a Dohatsu 6hp long shaft is the way to go. I'm tempted to go electric....Minn Kota makes a 101 lb. thrust 52" OB but I'm sure all those batteries would be pretty heavy. http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/ ... ansom.aspx

The first purchases will be a bronze builder plate to replace the cracked plastic one, plus a pair of those those trick rain shields and screens.
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

I'm not a new owner YET...but I will in a few hours.

So I guess what I'm saying is..."I'm right behind ya buddy!"
--
Doug Hardman
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Welcome To CD World

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Kilgore,

Welcome to the CD world. I am pleased to mention that The Sea Cliff area and Hempstead Harbour are very familiar to me and several other CDSOA members. I have many fond memories of that area and of the many boaters I've known there throughout the years.

At this time, I cordially invite you to consider becoming one of us and register for membership in the CDSOA boating fraternity.

Here's wishing you and Izabela many enjoyable days sailing Hempstead Harbour and the Long Island Sound. Again, welcome.

Best wishes and full sails,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Welcome

Post by jbenagh »

Kilgore,

you have a great boat. I hope you enjoy her as much as we have enjoyed ours.

Jeff
Chris L
Harbor Beach, MI

Evinrude 9.9

Post by Chris L »

Kilgore,

Why the desire to get rid of the evinrude? I have a ealry 80's vintage evinrude 9.9 and it does a good job pushing Sostenuto in most all conditions I go out in. I guess my thought if it is in good order, use the 9.9 and see what other surprise cost pop up.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

To be honest, I haven't seen the motor yet...it's in storage at the marina where the boat has been housed before purchase. They mentioned some water in the bottom end oil when it was taken out. I'm just assuming a motor of that age will cost more that it's worth to fix. I'll play it by ear.
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Welcome!

Post by Sea Owl »

You have gotten a great little boat!

Lots of historical advice on this board, and lots of people willing to share stories, advice, and tips tailored to YOUR boat!

I love mine, and I am sure you will like yours!

Again, welcome aboard!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

The marina has bottom painted and launched, rigged and tuned it for me to sail back to Hempstead Harbor tomorrow.

They said the engine started, but quit after 2 minutes, and made bearing type noises when it did run. They are kindly lending me an OB to get me to my home marina, but don't recommend throwing money at the old motor.
It's possible I could get it running with some carb cleaner and tweaking. I've personally rebuilt an old 4hp Mercury in the past but should at least research something new(ish).

I've seen electric trolling motors with thrust ratings as high as 100 lb.
Does anyone think that's enough for kicker use on a CD25?
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

Er...I don't know about a trolling motor. If you get stuck in ANY kind of bad weather, you'll be a sitting duck.
--
Doug Hardman
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Yeah, this is likely my best bet if I go brand new:
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu- ... S6BUL.html

I also just signed up for the CDSOA.

I was mistaken regarding trolling motors...the pricier Torqeedo is better suited. ~$2300 for a 6hp equivalent, plus batteries.
Carl Thunberg

You've made a great decision.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Both in buying a CD25 and in joining the CDSOA. You will get a lot more out of your membership in CDSOA if you become involved with your local Fleet, which just so happens to be the Northeast Fleet. Try to attend as many Fleet events as possible. You'll meet lots of great people who share a common interest. We also have the 13th annual CDSOA meeting in November, where you can meet fellow Cape Dorians from around the country. Watch this Board for more information on the annual meeting.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Do any CD owners in the in H.H. region winter their boat in the water?
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

A close examination of the stern gelcoat revealed evidence of the previous name 'Lurikeen' out of Northport, NY. I haven't found mention of it in either the forum or registry by either name or build#. Has anyone had any contact with it?

I noticed my port backing plate is badly corroded and flaking....something else to fix.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Winter Mooring

Post by Oswego John »

To the best of my recollection, there is/was no law or ordinance that prohibits mooring through the winter in Hempstead Harbour. Maybe check with the Harbourmaster or your Fleet Capitan.

I should also mention that if you winter moor, it could be difficult to get to your boat. Every one of the local marinas and yacht clubs pull their gangways, floats and launches for the winter.

The harbour has been known to freeze over at times. Not the best conditions for the hull.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490