Introduction, and a Question. (What kind of CD is this?)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mr. Doug

Introduction, and a Question. (What kind of CD is this?)

Post by Mr. Doug »

Hey gang. First Post. (Is there a bell or something that rings now?)

Background: Grew up racing on Lake Erie, out of AYC. (Scampi 30, Soverel 33, Tartan 10) Looking to get a sailboat to teach MY kids to sail on. Something simple I can single-hand if I need to, or just take the family out for a few hours.

I found a few boats that were in my price range at a local yard. Here are the pics of the boat I found that I really like. Theguy said it's a CD-24, but from what I can see, it looks like a 25. (there wasn't ever a 24...right?)

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... mview=grid

Advice? What should I be looking for? Is it a 24 or a 25?

Thanks for all your assistance. I really do appreciate it.
--
Doug Hardman
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Greenwich 24, perhaps

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Doug,

I think what you're looking at is a Greenwich 24.

Cape Dory bought the design and lengthened the boat to create the CD25. The hull has the same lines (I think) as a CD25, but the cabin profile, especially that elongated window in the saloon, is definitely not characteristic of a CD25.

If you're indeed looking at a Greenwich 24, it is a fine boat for singlehanding and teaching kids to sail.

Best of luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

That's what I thought too, BUT....

The date on the boat shows it was manufactured in 1978 Hull# CPDE0587M78B.

I thought the CD25 pre-dated that?

Either way, I think it's a great start for what I'm looking for.
--
Doug Hardman
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

I think you should measure that length again. That boat is the spitting Image of my CD25. Elongated saloon windows and all. If you really want to know look for hull ID numbers. There should be a CD in the hull number somewhere. Either way I agree with Joe, Greenwich 24 or CD 25, you're gonna get a great boat.
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

There was a Greenwich 24 built by Allied Boat Building which later was modified to become the Cape Dory 25, but there was never a Cape Dory 24. What is the hull id no.? If it is a Cape Dory 25, it will start with CPD. If it is a Greenwich 24, it will start with ABB or something like that. Both are good boats worthy of consideration.

EDIT: I see you posted the hull no. while I was typing. That is definitely a 1978 CD 25.
Last edited by Stan W. on Aug 11th, '09, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

...and I just found this. The 1978 CD catalog.

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... cture1.png
--
Doug Hardman
Joe Myerson

Looks like that's your boat!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Nice work, Doug.

You've answered your own question.

Welcome aboard--even if you don't buy that particular boat, feel free to update us on your search for a suitable family boat. CDs are sure to be on your list.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Bill Coogan
Location: CD25 "Flying Bugster" and CD30C, "Flying Bugster II," Vineyard Haven, MA

Pretty sure that's a 1978 CD25

Post by Bill Coogan »

Cape Dory varied the port design from year to year, and the ports you have are identical to those on my 1978 CD25. The only issue I have is with the color of your non-stick deck surface. Mine (hull number 635) is buff, not blue. Does anyone know: did they offer two colors? Did they make a switch during the 1978 model year?
Stan W.

Re: Pretty sure that's a 1978 CD25

Post by Stan W. »

Bill Coogan wrote:The only issue I have is with the color of your non-stick deck surface. Mine (hull number 635) is buff, not blue. Does anyone know: did they offer two colors? Did they make a switch during the 1978 model year?
The switch from blue to buff nonskid was right around that time. You can tell from the no. that the hull Doug is looking at was laid up in September 1977 as a 1978 model year boat. It does not surprise me that the earlier '78s still had blue nonskid.
tartansailor

The Beauty of a CD-25

Post by tartansailor »

Mr. Doug,
The beauty of a CD-25 is that the sail area to displacement of 16.76 makes it a Cruiser / Racer, but the Displacement to Length ratio of 306 ranks it as a Heavy Cruising Auxiliary.
That means that you have a very lively and stable boat when the sea kicks up.
My average speed is 5&1/2 knots in a 10 knot wind with good sails.
Go for it.
Dick
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

Great advice guys. I'm going to call the guy and pull the trigger.

As I've done with past 'projects' (Porsche 914 restoration, Vespa Speed 150 restoration) I'll document the whole process.

Here we go....
--
Doug Hardman
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

Any idea on what motor I need to be looking for?

Electric start...horsepower...reverse?

This is the first time I've had to look for an outboard for a sailboat. ANY direction would be great.
--
Doug Hardman
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Doug:

Congratulations :!:

The "archives" on this board are a great source of information and reference. If you type in the search box "outboard" and scroll down you will find several discussions threads of make, model, size recommendations, etc. for an outboard for a CD 25.

One interesting thread is:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... t=outboard

I am not very computer savvy so not sure if I copied the thread correctly, but it is located in the "archives" section with only the word "outboard" for a search word.

Most folks seem to think a 6hp-9.9 hp works good although the bigger O/Bs are apparently difficult to get in and out of the aft well.

There was also a brief discussion several months ago about electric motors. I looked at them at Strictly Sail Miami this past Feb. Not sure if they have the umph needed to push a CD 25. You definitely need reverse gear as the motor in the well cannot be turned 180 degrees.

Good luck and again congratulations :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Mr. Doug

Post by Mr. Doug »

Trigger = Pulled!

I'm the proud owner of "Chickadee II" Hull #587.

The yard had a Johnson 6HP that I picked up for a song. So all I needed was a battery, and a few other nick-knacks. I'll have it in the water by Friday!
--
Doug Hardman
Joe Myerson

Welcome aboard!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Doug,

A faithful old Johnson 6 (longshaft) came with my catboat, and continued to drive her for most of the 14 years that I owned her. They're simple, and they work.

Enjoy your time on the water.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627