Gimbled Sea Stove

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Gimbled Sea Stove

Post by Shipscarver »

I bought a gimbaled propane single burner sea stove from Jamestown, for my 1980 CD 27. If you have a sea stove, are there any pro's or con's as to where it should be mounted. My current thinking is to put it over the port settee on the stove cabinet that overhangs that bunk; maybe, place it close to the center isle.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mine is mounted on the after starboard bulkhead, over the ice box/sink area. It's an easy transfer from the stove to the sink for draining pasta, pouring soup, etc., etc.

Stuff will boil over. I would avoid anywhere it would drip to the setee.

There's no need for the stove to be near the centerline. It just needs room to swing.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Sea Stove Mounting

Post by Shipscarver »

The open area above the ice box was my first consideration. But, I am worried about the liner holding up. Have you had problems with heat or holding the weight? I like to keep a pot of coffee on hand all the time. :D
How did you attach it? And, I hate to ask, but do you have a photo you could post or E-mail? Thanks.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Sea Stove Mounting

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>The open area above the ice box was my first consideration. But, I am worried about the liner holding up.<<

The after bulkhead on the starboard side (just aft of the ice box, sink and dry storage) has a teak panel that provides access to the back of the compass. The sea stove bracket is mounted there.

>>Have you had problems with heat ...?<<

The tops of the coffee pot and stew pot get hot to the touch, but you can hold your hand over either, to within a few inches. The liner is safe.

>>I like to keep a pot of coffee on hand all the time.<<

You need to make it and reheat or repeat as needed. A low (easy to blow out) flame and an unattended stove is a bad idea. Good news is that perked coffee stays hot for some time in the pot.

>>And, I hate to ask, but do you have a photo you could post or E-mail?<<

I'll see what I can do next time I'm at the boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Andy Denmark

Gimballed stove

Post by Andy Denmark »

Here's a pix of the Forespar Mini-Galley on Rhiannon. It's mounted on a small block of 1/2" teak directly over the sink. I've had one of these on every boat I've owned and love it. The liner seems to support it just fine.

This little stove is great for tea, coffee & oatmeal in the early morning as it heats water quickly. It's also an extra burner when cooking at anchor. I found an asparagus cooker that exactly fits the stove and use it to do veggies, etc.

The flame stays lit while sailing as long as it isn't turned down too low. It's great for heating water for hot chocolate and other instant stuff underway and also for heating canned soup. Never had any problem with heat dissipation on the liner or overhead.

In this location the stove is easy to reach from the cockpit, too.

[img][img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff27 ... 010011.jpg[/img][/img]
________
LIFE DUNK
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

That's where mine is mounted, except maybe 6" higher up. Heat overhead has never been a problem.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Doug Fallin

Second hatch board

Post by Doug Fallin »

My gimbal stove came with a mounting bracket for quick disconnect. I secured the bracket to the second hatchboard from the bottom. When the weather is bad, I place the hatch board in it's normal position and cook inside. When the weather is good, I reverse the hatch board and the stove gimbals outside and within easy reach. The heat stays outside.
Dick Barthel

great idea!

Post by Dick Barthel »

Doug, that's a great idea that avoids drilling holes in the boat and also allows venting of the heat and moisture. I've had a one burner stove in its original box for several years because I couldn't make up my mind. I'll make a quickie drop board for now and do something nice over the winter. Thanks for the idea.

Dick
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Sea Stove Mounting

Post by Shipscarver »

The idea of using the drop board is great. But, I have trouble dealing with the blocked companionway. I'm just too much of a "cluts" to have to deal with jumping over that board if necessary. But, I like the idea enough to see If I can order a second mounting plate and install it on the drop so I can have the option.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Shipscarver wrote:The idea of using the drop board is great. But, I have trouble dealing with the blocked companionway. I'm just too much of a "cluts" to have to deal with jumping over that board if necessary. But, I like the idea enough to see If I can order a second mounting plate and install it on the drop so I can have the option.
The Forespar Mini Galley is a great item and we have used it offshore for many years. Not exactly Julia Child level, but it really works. We mounted it on the port side of the CD28 over the stove, and added a second mounting plate on the wood trim around the companionway slide on the port side. With the dodger in place the stove is protected from wind and rain. This second mounting location avoids the blocked companionway issue, and more importantly, it allows one to keep an eye on the open flame if on deck in the cockpit. Aside from parts availability and the high price of fuel, this remains one of the really useful and simple pieces of offshore equipment.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote: Aside from parts availability and the high price of fuel, this remains one of the really useful and simple pieces of offshore equipment.
Offshore? How about in port. I use mine for:

Coffee
Soup
Chili
Beans
Rice
Hot dogs
Pasta
HB eggs
Steamed clams
and more

Steamed clams recipe: 1/2" beer (best local micro-brew) + fill with clams (best local variety). Cover and boil to steam the clams. (The top of the stew pot will come off when the clams open.)

You could steam a lobster in similar fashion but if it's legal size you'd need to dismember it first.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Neil Gordon wrote:
kerrydeare wrote: ... this [stove] remains one of the really useful and simple pieces of offshore equipment.
Offshore? How about in port. I use mine for: ... [long and varied list snipped] ...
Yeah, well I also boil my contact lenses in it, then pour the water through the coffee filter to get my system primed, then dump a washcloth in the hot water that remains to prepare my morning toilette. Then and only then if there's time before morning colors I might take a nice leisurely bath in it. So there, buddo.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote: So there, buddo.
Sure, but did you bother to share any recipes?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Mine is deep in the cabin

Post by Joe Myerson »

The PO mounted his on the bulkhead to the port side of the entrance to the 25D's large forward head compartment. I've never moved it, but that means I could not use the stove when under way.

Like Dick, I'm intrigued by the idea of a separate mounting board. Perhaps I'll try fabricating one over the winter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Joe

P.S. When cruising, I usually use my little stove for boiling morning tea/coffee water. I also boil a second pot and store it in a stainless-steel thermos. It gives me hot/warm water throughout the day.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Neil Gordon wrote:
kerrydeare wrote: So there, buddo.
Sure, but did you bother to share any recipes?
Like I'm gonna put my mother's tomato sauce (aka gravy) recipe out. Yo.