Jib Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

Jib Replacement

Post by Les Bloom »

I recently replaced the main sail on PYEWACKET
with one from North Sails here in Portsmouth, RI. I want to replace the jib this Fall/Winter & I was thinking about installing a furling system. What are the pro's & con's for a furling system for a TY WEEKENDER? What about different manufacturers? I am interested in the information now, as the NEWPORT BOAT SHOW will be coming
up soon,and I think their will be some good discounts, if you know what you are doing.

By the way the old main & jib are OEM from 1974, been in uses
for 35 years. I think if is about time that they are replaced. I am the fifth owner, and for those from Rhode Island she was known as
WHAT CHEER for many years.

Any info & comments would be appreicated.
Les Bloom
Jeff G

Furler or Reefer

Post by Jeff G »

The first thing is to decide if you want a "furling" or "reefing" system. A roller furler is good if your tired of hanking on and off the jib at the end of the day. You roll it up like a big window shade. I believe CDI makes a good one. A roller reefing system is quite different. A roller reefing system is good if you want to shorten the headsail while out on the water. Generally this appeals to the sailor who wants to fly a genoa and reef it down to a jib when the wind picks up. Sails for this system must be cut special to flatten as they are rolled up. I believe Pro Furl is considered top of the line and prices go down from there. The cost between the two types of system will be different.
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I added a furler that I can reef. I haven't had to use it reefed yet, but I love it. I'm not into racing and it makes dealing with the head sail a non issue.
Seajunkie
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Furler or Reefer?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Doesn't every furler simply roll the genoa around the foil? What makes one a furler and another a reefer?

I agree that the sail needs to be cut for roller reefing or it loses shape as it's rolled. That's about the sail though and not the furler/reefer.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Reefer or furler

Post by SeaBelle »

I believe the distinction is that roller reefing can reef the genny while a roller furler can only roll it all the way up. That distinction may be obsolete now that roller furlers are (almost?) obsolete.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.