What other sailboat would you own?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Davis

What other sailboat would you own?

Post by Mike Davis »

If you didn't have a Cape Dory, what other cruising boat in the 30-33 foot range would you buy that had similar characteristics? The price range would be between $27,000-$30,000. Thanks.
WaywardWind

Other loves

Post by WaywardWind »

Without question, I would love to own a Vertue 25 or 27, or a Camper Nicholson South Coast One Design (SCOD) 26 or a BCC.
Robert Delaney

What other sailboat would own

Post by Robert Delaney »

Southern Cross 31
John Vigor

Sit up and listen

Post by John Vigor »

Seems to me there's a bit of attention deficit disorder going on around here.

Mike Davis asks for suggestions for a boat:
-- Between 30 and 33 feet in length
-- Costing between $27,000 and $30,000
--With charactertisics similar to a Cape Dory.

Two people reply, with suggestions for five boats -- only one of which fits in with these requirements. Bad boys. You must learn to listen to teacher.

For my part (and I'm teacher's pet) I would go for a Camper & Nicholson 32. I'd prefer the Nicholson 31, but I don't think you'd find a decent one for $30,000.

Cheers,

John V.
Amgine

There's the problem...

Post by Amgine »

A request which is nearly impossible to fulfill: high quality blue water boat for less than $1000 per foot (well, $606-1000 per foot.)

Brewer's Jason by Miller Yachts; though I have no clue what they might be going for these days. When I looked 5 years ago there was one for, iirc, $39k, which is close.
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Nor Sea

Post by KDreese »

Slightly smaller than 30 feet but a Nor Sea 27 could be had for about the amount of money you are looking to spend. I havent sailed one but I hear they a nice sailing boats and the interiors are useful for the length. That would be my choice.

KD
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Sea Sprite 30 or 34, Old Tartan 34 C,

I like the Sea Sprites and Luders was a solid designer. The Tartan is such a great sailer. I would want something that could sail. But Honestly, I am quite content with our old CD33, best of all worlds.

Paul
Robert Delaney

Did listen

Post by Robert Delaney »

I stand by the Southern Cross 31. Is is between 30 and 33 foot - this is really tough. Some cost between $27 and $30K - again, really tough. I will grant the characteristics are somewhat different - the SC 31 greatly exceeds the good sailing characteristics of any Cape Dory - so maybe, just maybe I did not listen.
Mike Davis

The classic sail boat

Post by Mike Davis »

Thank you for the replies. I do believe that Cape Dory is a beautiful boat, and it sails well. After having a CD25 in the family since 1975, I sold my beautiful boat in early June with the intent of purchasing another boat in the not to distant future. As you all well know, many Cape Dory owners have unyielding allegiance to the CD.

After having the 25 for so many years and not having any headroom and very little cabin comfort, I am looking for another boat that will give me a lot more space. I appreciate your input and thoughtful responses. Have any of you sailed a Pearson 323? I know it's not in the same class as CD, but I hear it's nice.

The other thought was an Allied Seabreeze. I know it's 35 feet, but it is also classically beautiful and around 30k. Once again. Thanks.
Mike Davis
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Mike,

I would like to throw out something different just for thought. Westerly. The twin keel variety. Some of these are priced right and they have a good reputation. The ones that I have looked at were well constructed just dated. I know this is a different style than a Dory, but they are decent sailors, and the reason I mention it is that it would sure be nice to easily dry out the boat and do a bottom job instead of dealing with a yard.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Get an1982 or1983 Chaparral Bombay Clipper 31 feet - Should cost about 20K max.
Have A Nice Day
Maine Sail

There's quite a few

Post by Maine Sail »

There's actually quite a few that fit.

Luders 33
Bristol 32
Arlberg 30
Cheoy Lee 33
Bayfield 32 (not as high quality as some of the others)
Dreadnaught 32
Ericson Independence 31
Niagara 31
Rawson 30
Halberg Rassy Monsun 31
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
KDreese
Hingham, MA

John the original poster didnt listen either

Post by KDreese »

John, FYI, the original poster didnt listen either... He mentioned he is interested in a Pearson 323, which could be argued is not even similar in design or characteristics to any CD... it doesnt even have a full keel. The horror!

However, I think he was responding to his own post in the same way that most of us did... his requirements were in general (directionally) what he was looking for give or take some feet or $$ either way. Just my 2 cents.
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

Monsun 31
Pacific Seacraft 31
John Vigor

Re: Did listen

Post by John Vigor »

Robert Delaney wrote:I stand by the Southern Cross 31. Is is between 30 and 33 foot - this is really tough. Some cost between $27 and $30K - again, really tough. I will grant the characteristics are somewhat different - the SC 31 greatly exceeds the good sailing characteristics of any Cape Dory - so maybe, just maybe I did not listen.
Yes, I'm sorry Robert, you were a good boy, you did listen and you made a good choice. I must admit I lusted after a Southern Cross 31 long before I began courting a Cape Dory. Gorgeous, flirty, boat. Thomas Gillmer did a wonderful job designing her.

John V.