25D waterline

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

odie lingle

25D waterline

Post by odie lingle »

the specs for the 25D shows she draws 3ft 6in but my boat draws 4ft 2in (I have measured this to be exact). Also it appears the original owner raised the stripe to reflect this 4ft 2in draft as the water comes up to the bottom of the stripe when she is in the water. I have her fully loaded: anchors, chain, liferaft, dinghy with outboard, extra fuel, provisions etc. Another item of added weight is the previous owner installed in mast furling and a roller furling jib.

So does the extra weight I carry (and I presume the previous owner did the same) or some other factor account for her sitting lower in the water than the original specs show?

thank you for your help,

Odie Lingle
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Your boat is sitting 8" deeper, wow, that is a very noticeable difference. I agree an 8" difference is quite unusual. But, you are carrying quite a load with anchors, chain, liferaft, dinghy with outboard, extra fuel, provisions etc. I guess the best way to find out is take all the items off and see where she sits. The furlers could not possibly add too much to the weight. Also does the boat have the original spec engine? Was a larger/heavier engine installed? Larger tanks?

You would be surprised how much everything adds up in weight in what seems so few items. I came off a 2 week cruise and my waterline came up approx. 4" or so after I unloaded all the gear. I do not carry a liferaft, dingy with outboard, or extra fuel. Added up these items do weigh quite a few pounds.
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I believe the boat specs are intended for standard loads. Example, if the water, holding and fuel tanks are full, there are two 12v batteries, sails, rigging, standard anchor and rode, etc, then she should draw 3.5 feet. I don't think there is any way for the architect determine just exactly how much provisions or extra fuel you might be carrying. A spec is a reference point but not an exact measurement for all situations.
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Breezy draws 3' 9" roughly

Post by Noel Heslop »

This week, I have Breezy on the hard for removal of plastic remaining on hull, plus antifoul and polish.
My measurement today roughly showed 4 feet for the hull, with my guess in the water to be 3'9" as I have say 3" above water level. I guess an extra 3" is reasonable. I may have a clear 4"? I will measure exactly next week.
Breezy has the normal load of anchors etc, plus a 2004 1GM 10HP Yanmar, replacing the original 7HP.
I am interested in what other owners of CD25D's are doing.
Breezy is number 141, so are later builds sitting higher or lower than earlier builds?
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Amgine

Post by Amgine »

My 25D sat just lower than the gelcoat bootstripe, with a regular growth on the rim above the bottom paint. That's with basic gear aboard, not full cruising complement.

I decided to bottom paint to the top of the boot stripe, which gives me several inches to load. However, you need to realize that sinking the waterline is roughly 600 pounds per inch, and it increases the load on your rigging. Most of the dismastings I've personally known of were boats heavily loaded, resulting in over-strained rig, which is why I (try) to keep my boat on a diet even when cruising.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

25D draft

Post by trapper »

I have not measured mine. Below is a pic of her at the dock with her waterline and boot stripe. She is hull # 180. The waterline was painted based upon the prior paint. When I pull her next, I will check her draft. I just assumed that her draft was the same as others.

Next time I haul her, I will check. Here she is at the dock after first voyage--lines not tidied!

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... y10026.jpg[/img]