backing out of a slip

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Prop walk

Post by Carter Brey »

My Sabre 28 has the most bizarre prop walk in reverse that I've ever seen, presumably due to the combination of offset (angled to port) and folding prop.

If I'm powering forward, then throw her into reverse, the stern slews to port.

If I go into reverse from a dead stop, the stern slews to starboard.

At least it's predictable... sort of...

Carter
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: backing out of mooring

Post by Neil Gordon »

nancyverriermoore wrote:I also have a new-to-me CD 26 but I have a Mediterranean mooring meaning there is no dock to use for the spring line. I am attached to the dock at the bow only and there are 2 stern lines running to tires off the transom. There are boats on either side within inches and boats behind me at a distance of about 60 feet. Any advise for me?

Nancy Moore
Get friendly with your neighbors and then don't be afraid of using their cleats as attachment points.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
j2sailor

Post by j2sailor »

My apologies for misleading information. Yes, all props have prop walk, but this can be offset with the outboard by pointing the prop in the desired direction of travel--even in reverse. That's how small outboard boats can maneuver so well in reverse. I do not know if you can do this on the CD26.

That is what I should have said -- and failed to say. My fault entirely. In any event, the spring line will get you around where you want to go. Again, sorry for the blunder.

Best - J.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

It helps if you have upwind slip...

Post by sgbernd »

In my experience, the bow will follow the wind in reverse, regardless of what you want or try to make happen (unless you use the line as described in earlier posts). If you have an up-wind slip, and are reasonably agile and coordinated, this can work to your advantage.
If not, this approach won't work for you.

Start the engine and let it idle. Walk around the boat and release all the dock lines, then get off the boat and stand on the dock. Back the boat out by hand, grabbing low on the stanchions and pushing the stern in the direction you want it to go. At the last minute, give the bow a good shove and climb over the pulpit rail. The wind will do the rest. Walk calmly back to the cockpit and put the engine in forward. As soon as the pointy end is in the right direction, give it some throttle to get it moving forward and off you go.

As a warning, make sure the path from the pulpit to the cockpit is not obstructed and that you are confident of your strength and coordination to hop aboard over the pulpit railing. Make sure your hands are not slippery with sun screen or wet. If you slip, you are in the water and the boat is scraping along whatever is downwind. I've used this approach for several years as a single hander with good success.

While these boats are ill-behaved beasts in reverse, they are very predictable.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Spring Line Pictures

Post by Mike Raehl »

I mounted a vertical roller on the dock made from galvanized pipe and a short section of PVC tubing. The spring line runs from the winch, around the roller and back to the cockpit. Also, the spring line is made of braided poly so it floats on the surface until retrieved from boat.

In practise, one crew uses a boat hook to hold the bow near the the dock while I back slowly 'straight' out of the slip. The bow clears the slip just before I get to the bitter end of the spring line. At that point, I pull on the bitter end and the boat pivots into the channel. Then forward motion, release the bitter end, spring line plays out around the dock roller and is retrieved from the boat.

Works great for me and I am no longer embarrassed leaving my slip.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m296 ... ine003.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m296 ... ine002.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m296 ... ine001.jpg

backing a Cape Dory out of a slip

Post by Vern/Lenore Durkee »

Hello, everyone--I was amazed at the number of responses that we received addressing this problem and felt a whole lot better to know that this happens to other sailors and that there are ways to remedy the situation. The best solution (for us) seems to be backing out with the rudder in mid-position and using brief pulses of power until we're clear. It works well if someone is on the dock with a line attached at midpoint to guide and push her out. If there is a heavy south or north wind, we may not be able to do this as easily. so we are now in a slip where we can use a spring line and will work on that idea next. As one responder said--"Practice, practice, practice"

Vern and I want to thank everyone for their great ideas and willingness to share them. It is one more reason why we enjoy our membership in CDSOA.

--Lenore and Vern Durkee (Quetzal II)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Pulling in, too

Post by Neil Gordon »

It's not just for leaving the slip. In anticipation of a week's cruising to the NE Fleet rendezvous, I visited the fuel dock yesterday. The dock face was directly upwind, taking the bow away from the dock and since I was alone, it was easier for me to toss a stern line ashore. With a line from the stbd quarter to a cleat on the dock, forward thrust brought the bow slowly up, under control and slowly put the boat within "step off distance" to the dock.

Note that I tossed the line to the dock attendent. Had she not been there it would have been easy enough to back the boat stern to the dock, looped the line myself and then powered the bow around.

The alternative is to get as close as I can, try jumping with dock lines in hand, miss, get wet and watch the boat drift downwind to the breakwater without me.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

All I can suggest is to walk the boat out.
I agree. I hang on to the stern dock line and a mid ship dock line tied to the mast. I push the boat out with these and swing it around the end of the slip. When I get it perpendicular to the slip, I give her a shove and step on. So far this seems to be the easiest solution. I'm all ears for any thing better.
Seajunkie